2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Any updates on Kaiya Ruiter? She seemed to be a much better jumper than any of the Canadian women that got GP. I understand she was never able to get the SB/PB she would have needed for a GP since the season was cancelled and she wasn’t age eligible for WC, but I was surprised they didn’t even give her the host pick.
I am not sure Kaiya is old enough for senior assignments. She was born on 13.05.2006...she may be OK for seniors, I don't know.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am not sure Kaiya is old enough for senior assignments. She is 14 years old, but I don't know her date of birth.
She's old enough. She's done two junior seasons already. If you're old enough for junior, you're old enough for senior two seasons later.

abbykitty

Rinkside
Can somebody explain why Canada only has 1 spot in the GP for women outside of Skate Canada (Maddi Schizas in Rostelecom)? Is it based on World Standings or World Championship ranking or what? All the other disciplines have multiple Canadians in each GP event, so just wondering.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Can somebody explain why Canada only has 1 spot in the GP for women outside of Skate Canada (Maddi Schizas in Rostelecom)? Is it based on World Standings or World Championship ranking or what? All the other disciplines have multiple Canadians in each GP event, so just wondering.

GP assignments are sorted as such:

The Skaters are seeded and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021. Skaters/couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from either the 2019/20 or 2020/21 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the World Standings (from previous 3 seasons – 2018/19, 2019/20 and 2020/21) can also be invited. If available medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final gold medalists can also be selected.

In order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2019/20, 2020/21 or current 2021/22 season in an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners.

abbykitty

Rinkside
GP assignments are sorted as such:

The Skaters are seeded and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021. Skaters/couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from either the 2019/20 or 2020/21 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the World Standings (from previous 3 seasons – 2018/19, 2019/20 and 2020/21) can also be invited. If available medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final gold medalists can also be selected.

In order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2019/20, 2020/21 or current 2021/22 season in an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners.

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining Gia! :)

GiGi23

Rinkside
She's old enough. She's done two junior seasons already. If you're old enough for junior, you're old enough for senior two seasons later.
I'm hoping we see her at Autumn Classic. She hasn't done a senior international so that's probably why they haven't given her the GP spot (although I don't think she'd crack under the pressure) I think it's going to be similar to Alison Schumacher's last few seasons where she'll get a mix of junior and senior assignments over the next few years. I'm expecting a battle between Kaiya and Maddie at nationals.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
happy to see Edrian and Antoine :) two of my faves :) Gabby Vero and Alicia = very interesting event.
pairs = great line up

i hope there is streaming of the championnats québécois...

mrrice

Record Breaker
She was supposedly back to train in Edmonton at some point in the winter, but there's been no updates since then.
What is Miss Osmond up to these days? I think she would be a wonderful choreographer. Do we know her future plans? Maybe Broadcasting?

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
What is Miss Osmond up to these days? I think she would be a wonderful choreographer. Do we know her future plans? Maybe Broadcasting?

Found this on her wikipedia:

She's apparently coaching! But I know she was studying journalism, too.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

That news is actually somewhat outdated (reminds me, I should update that), as she's moved back to Edmonton since then and is still studying journalism (currently involving some sort of work placement at the Edmonton zoo). I don't know if she's doing any coaching or not, but she's definitely spending time skating at the Ice Palace.

mrrice

Record Breaker

:thank: :points::bow: