2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Country
Israel
from what I see with Gabby's skating, I do notice her rotation in jumps are on the slower side in the air, and also the position of the free leg especially in the lutz is so inefficient, I wonder whether a new approach and focus on air position exercises can benefit her, because it will surely help her execute triples and triples in combination more into the program

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lafond-Fournier/Kam
Senior standings (top scores) after Ontario (delayed July event), Quebec SS, Wild Rose, BC/YK Victoria Day
SENIOR FD/TOTAL
Lauriault/LeGac 111/184
Soucisse/Firus 107/181
Fabbri/Ayer 107/179
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs 102/172
Lafond-Fournier/Kam 91/152
Hensen/Lickers 92/149

Let me know if I missed anything...
Lafond-Fournier/Kam are representing New Zealand according to IAM

abbykitty

Rinkside
from what I see with Gabby's skating, I do notice her rotation in jumps are on the slower side in the air, and also the position of the free leg especially in the lutz is so inefficient, I wonder whether a new approach and focus on air position exercises can benefit her, because it will surely help her execute triples and triples in combination more into the program
Yeah I noticed her leg wrap has become more prominent and her rotation much slower over the past few years which has been hindering several of her jumps and her ability to do more difficult combos. Looking back at her peak years in 2017-2018, she never used to have this problem except slightly on the lutz. Not sure if she just lost the feeling or technique over the years, but hopefully she can work on tightening her legs and quicker air rotation as she trains more throughout the year. Gabby seems to be regaining her form in all the other elements of her skating, and it would be wonderful to see her jumps and consistency back by Nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
is it possible they are trying to slow down her rotation as she used to have too much power and would over rotate jumps and step out???

Weathergal

Medalist
Championnats québécois d'été free programs right now....

Gabby and Veronik should be skating in the next few minutes...

Later on, men. Dance and pairs on the other ice (which means I missed it)

Live streaming :

Vero is including the harder triples again ! DIdn't succeed to land everything but I see progress.

Gabby was thrilled with her performance with fist pumps etc. Some shaky landings but this is the best we have seen from Gabby in a long time.

Gabby's FP score : 122.26. Total 178.20.
I happened to see your post right before Veronik and Gabby skated their FSs - thank you! It is always great to see Veronik skating. I like her, and admire her for persevering through so many injuries! I was pulling for Gabby, hoping she'd turned a page on her skating. She looked better than I expected and I agree better than she's skated in a while. It was nice to see her so happy, Here's hoping she can build on it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, Miku & Tyler are now virtually guaranteed to leave France with at least two silver medals, even if the JGP Final qualification structure has now been completely messed up so it's not as meaningful as it might have been.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, Miku & Tyler are now virtually guaranteed to leave France with at least two silver medals, even if the JGP Final qualification structure has now been completely messed up so it's not as meaningful as it might have been.
can you let us know what has changed in the qualification structure? also, if anything, in juniors, there is never ever a guaranteed placement :) hehe

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
can you let us know what has changed in the qualification structure?
Due to the inconsistent travel rules for different locations, the ISU has already announced that JGP Final qualification won't be done along the normal lines. They haven't announced how it would happen, because they're flying by the seat of their pants.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Due to the inconsistent travel rules for different locations, the ISU has already announced that JGP Final qualification won't be done along the normal lines. They haven't announced how it would happen, because they're flying by the seat of their pants.
oh i see... nothing unexpected then LOL

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

oh i see... nothing unexpected then LOL
My impression is not that it "won't be done along the normal lines" but that it won't be done at all. No JGP rankings ---> no JGP final. But the individual events will take place, with entry quotas adjusted to reflect nogo combinations of host/skater.

mrrice

Record Breaker
My impression is not that it "won't be done along the normal lines" but that it won't be done at all. No JGP rankings ---> no JGP final. But the individual events will take place, with entry quotas adjusted to reflect nogo combinations of host/skater.
Are their still countries who have a travel ban for people entering from another country?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are their still countries who have a travel ban for people entering from another country?
Yep.

In other threads, people are talking about Russian skaters not being allowed to go to the JGPs in France (not sure if it's an outright ban or a quarantine requirement).

For a year, Canada has only been admitting Canadian citizens and permanent residents, their close relatives, and essential travellers. We are just now accepting US citizens and permanent residents, but they must be fully vaccinated, resident in the US, and entering Canada directly from the US. That means a LOT of people are still barred from entering Canada!

Hopefully things will open up more before Skate Canada or the SC contestants will get an exemption so they can enter and compete.

I believe a lot of other countries have bans as well.

By the way, Canadians are still barred from entering the US by the land border (with some exceptions, of course), though they can fly there.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's not what the ISU said though.
However, no ISU Junior Grand Prix ranking will be applied. Depending on the developments during the ISU Junior Grand Prix series, the ISU Council will evaluate if and how the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (scheduled to be held on December 9-12, 2021 in Japan), could be held by applying alternative qualification criteria. Such decision will be taken as soon as possible in consultation with all stakeholders also taking into account the sanitary situation in Japan and around the world, which is particularly sensitive for junior-aged Skaters.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yep.
events
In other threads, people are talking about Russian skaters not being allowed to go to the JGPs in France (not sure if it's an outright ban or a quarantine requirement).

For a year, Canada has only been admitting Canadian citizens and permanent residents, their close relatives, and essential travellers. We are just now accepting US citizens and permanent residents, but they must be fully vaccinated, resident in the US, and entering Canada directly from the US. That means a LOT of people are still barred from entering Canada!

Hopefully things will open up more before Skate Canada or the SC contestants will get an exemption so they can enter and compete.

I believe a lot of other countries have bans as well.

By the way, Canadians are still barred from entering the US by the land border (with some exceptions, of course), though they can fly there.
I was just about to ask about the Canadian-US Border. I knew it had been blocked for auto and trains but, since they've allowed air travel, I thought maybe the boarder had been opened. Now that venue's are asking for "Vaccination Passports" here in the US, I figured if you have a passport, you'd be fine. Here's an article I just found about the situation as it pertains to US Citizens.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian skaters were not outright 'banned' from the French JGP events, but they were required to undergo a 10-day quarantine at a hotel because the French government does not accept the Sputnik vaccine as effective against Covid.

The Russians fed refused to do the quarantine, and so declined both French events.

withwings

On the Ice
The Russian skaters were not outright 'banned' from the French JGP events, but they were required to undergo a 10-day quarantine at a hotel because the French government does not accept the Sputnik vaccine as effective against Covid.

The Russians fed refused to do the quarantine, and so declined both French events.

... the same ever lasting soviet arrogance, just in the different bag.