2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That was a rather embarrassing performance, but he eked it out, so mission accomplished.

Natalie & Bruce ended up in second place in the RD, somewhat unexpectedly, though they're not that far ahead of Wolfkostin & Chen, so holding onto second might be a challenge. But then, there's a reason we have the teams actually skate the programs.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Roman's Free Program is an amazing program. His spins, feel for the music, PC, and the program overall. It's a shame that he messed up some jumps and had multiple rotation problems, because the rest of his program is just incredible with so much potential. He definitely has an Olympic quality program.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not sure what else people expected really. It was not surprising at all to me that Roman would have rotation issues. Not sure why he is keeping this layout with the edge calls though. To me, it was what I thought would happen. Roman would be saved by his spins and pcs. I think his talent will shine through. Perhaps not right away but when he gets more confident. Considering what happened at ACI, Roman remained the best bet to secure the spot. Glad he did manage

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
I am absolutely relieved that Roman qualified the Olympic spot. But he did have a chance here to really put himself forward as the one who should be the recipient of it, and he didn't. Had he come out and even mostly nailed it I have to think that Skate Canada would have more or less made up their minds then and there. But as it is, he has to now prove himself on the Grand Prix big time, and he left the door open wide for Nam (I wish there were 3 spots). I think Keegan earned his spot at worlds last season, unless he's a complete mess, which it already doesn't look like he is this season. I admit, Roman is my favourite and I'm pulling for him to get it together as the season goes and get that Olympic spot. He is one of the most beautiful skaters competing today. All the talent in the world. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here that he had a rough time coming back to a real international competition after being away for almost two years. But there's no getting away from the fact that in this field, he should have placed better, not on the bubble. I'm now rooting for him to come out and kill it at Skate Canada.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i agree. Roman had all the goods to finish on the podium. I am just wondering about his flip and lutz jumps though...
He is ahead of Nam because of spins.
He is ahead of Conrad because of PCS
He is ahead of Jo because of experience on the senior scene.

It is his to lose.. but the ice is more than slippery here. Nam knows how to skate much cleaner than Roman has done recently. Conrad has higher base value and bigger jumps... but he is not consistent... if he gets more and more confident, that could be a game changer.
Jo is my favourite skater among all Canadian skaters right now. He has the full package but lacks experience and consistency will only come with experience. So Nebelhorn remains a missed opportunity for Roman and ipso facto confirms Keegan's superiority versus all the others.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am not sure what else people expected really. It was not surprising at all to me that Roman would have rotation issues. Not sure why he is keeping this layout with the edge calls though. To me, it was what I thought would happen. Roman would be saved by his spins and pcs. I think his talent will shine through. Perhaps not right away but when he gets more confident. Considering what happened at ACI, Roman remained the best bet to secure the spot. Glad he did manage
Roman does tend to underrotate, which will obviously bring his score far down, despite good landings. The calls at the Nebelhorn Trophy were strict calls. It is hard to tell at this point who will be making the Olympics for the Canadian Men. If Stephen Gogolev were stronger and not going through his struggles and injuries, he could have potentially been a good possibility to make this Olympics. Roman's spins and PCS though are very strong, and the best of the Canadian men.

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm wondering how much Shin Amano hurt Roman at Nebelhorn - but of course Roman has to get his jumps rotated (don't want to make excuses). But I really hope he can pull it together because he just such a beautiful skater.

I thought he had to be top 7 at Nebelhorn to qualify the second spot for Canada, but he placed 8th. How did he end up earning a spot? Sorry I think I missed a permutation somewhere...

Andrea82

Medalist
I'm wondering how much Shin Amano hurt Roman at Nebelhorn - but of course Roman has to get his jumps rotated (don't want to make excuses). But I really hope he can pull it together because he just such a beautiful skater.

I thought he had to be top 7 at Nebelhorn to qualify the second spot for Canada, but he placed 8th. How did he end up earning a spot? Sorry I think I missed a permutation somewhere...
Gabriele Frangipani (#4) doesn't count for the Olympic Qualification ranking because Italy already have 2 spots and couldn't add any other.

Weathergal

Medalist
Gabriele Frangipani (#4) doesn't count for the Olympic Qualification ranking because Italy already have 2 spots and couldn't add any other.
Thank you! For some reason, I was thinking that was the case but just couldn't remember. So glad he made it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thank you! For some reason, I was thinking that was the case but just couldn't remember. So glad he made it.

Re Shin Amano: do you mean that another caller would have been more lenient?

Re Roman, I’m no expert, but it looked to me like the root cause for the < might be nerves/ lack of confidence / feeling pressure to qualify the spot. A lot of the jumps were just off, so the < weren’t a big surprise. I don’t know if you can buy that “Nathan Chen gritty competitor” kind of confidence 😂, but I think if Roman can improve his confidence, his jumps and < will improve too.

Weathergal

Medalist
Re Shin Amano: do you mean that another caller would have been more lenient?

Re Roman, I’m no expert, but it looked to me like the root cause for the < might be nerves/ lack of confidence / feeling pressure to qualify the spot. A lot of the jumps were just off, so the < weren’t a big surprise. I don’t know if you can buy that “Nathan Chen gritty competitor” kind of confidence 😂, but I think if Roman can improve his confidence, his jumps and < will improve too.
Tavi, yes that's what I meant about Shin Amano because he's known to be a stickler for underrotations and the like. I don't know if more were called as whole during the Men's competition at Nebelhorn - including on skaters like Vincent Zhou, who's known to be prone to URs -- or not.

But what you're saying about Roman makes sense. When I heard he was the one being sent to Nebelhorn to try to get the second Men's spot for Canada, I though wow that is great that they want him to do this - it's real vote of confidence for him! Then I immediately also thought no don't put all that pressure on Roman like that! But even though it was a bumpy ride, I'm hoping that he does gain some confidence in the experience and that he'll do well in the GP.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
While Roman can be nervy and have jumping problems as a result, his main issue with underrotations isn't about confidence, I don't think -- he's simply a very tall man to be skating singles, which makes rotating the jumps hard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
While Roman can be nervy and have jumping problems as a result, his main issue with underrotations isn't about confidence, I don't think -- he's simply a very tall man to be skating singles, which makes rotating the jumps hard.
How tall is satoko or vincent? Or alaine? Ur is a technical issue.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How tall is satoko or vincent? Or alaine? Ur is a technical issue.
It's not the only reason a skater can UR, but being as tall as Roman is does make jump rotations a problem -- there's a reason he struggles to rotate triple-triples, which should not otherwise be an issue for a male skater who can do a quad.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's not the only reason a skater can UR, but being as tall as Roman is does make jump rotations a problem -- there's a reason he struggles to rotate triple-triples, which should not otherwise be an issue for a male skater who can do a quad.
Roman jumps big but he is not tight in the air. That's a technical issue... In his Nebelhorn program, you can see very well on the first quad salchow. His feet are not tight together in the air. He also tends to be tilted in the air. Alaine, who is very short, had the same issue. Big jumps, not tight in the air... prone to UR. This can be corrected. I believe it's a more positive way to see things isn't it? Saying he is tall, is sort of accepting that his rotation issues cannot be fixed. I believe Roman can improve on this.

Last edited: