2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't remember if it was totally clean, but Roman did manage to be the only starter in the second warm up group at WTT because of his well executed short programme which had been done the day before where he started in the first group. That it all fell apart in the FS is another story. He did do a good SP!
The combination was 3Tq with negative GOE.

That’s certainly clean-ish, but the fact that q is the best case scenario for him on the combination is a big part of the problem.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Very nice start for Keegan in the short program, and even in first place (by a hair). That crazy knee bend really is a work of art.

Vanessa & Eric continue to improve, though the program itself is still flat to me. KMT & Michael, sadly, it looks increasingly like all the twist improvements they made in the 2019/20 season are a permanent casualty of the pandemic.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The Canadians did well, Keegan especially. Although he looked a bit tired (just the expression on his face, not in the skating), he still put forward a lovely performance. I really admire him, especially the jump saves. Also, he's got a great split jump. Kudos!

I felt MT/M were a bit lowballed. Sure, there was a fall with the throw (Can you believe it? But, yes it happened) and there were some issues with the Twist but on the whole they looked good.

And Vanessa and Eric? Despite the messed up landing of the throw ,they are really getting into it now. The programme is growing on me. Good for them!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Keegan was amazing. The flow, The Skating skills. The knee bend. I hope he will get more comfortable with the jumps. TO me he could be a surprise bronze medallist with a bit of luck come worlds or olympics. Next to Jason and Roman I would have him up with Shoma and Yuzuru and though different Kolyada.

ashleyming

On the Ice
KEEGAN!!!!!My Spark Plug is tied for 1st place with Jason Brown. What a nice way to start the season. Bravo!
Honestly, I hope Keegan gets a bit of a hit this season. He's carried the Canadian team pretty well since Patrick retired. Keegan himself is aware that the void Patrick left is very difficult to fill, and he has also tried very hard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Honestly, I hope Keegan gets a bit of a hit this season. He's carried the Canadian team pretty well since Patrick retired. Keegan himself is aware that the void Patrick left is very difficult to fill, and he has also tried very hard.
tell me about that void.... i have been feeling it non-stop since 2018.... I feel that keegan could be a bit more adventurous and include his quad lutz... but perhaps that's the plan for the FP.

ashleyming

On the Ice
tell me about that void.... i have been feeling it non-stop since 2018.... I feel that keegan could be a bit more adventurous and include his quad lutz... but perhaps that's the plan for the FP
The void I've mentioned... well... is probably something that generates both motivation and pressure for the next generation to shine. It's not hard to see Patrick's influence on the team, because of his competitive highlights, he was on another level and he is a legend in his generation. Every time I watch the broadcast video of the "The Thank You Canada Tour" tour, I see the other members of the team sitting together and telling stories about Patrick in a very loving way, which makes me feel like he must be very cherished.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The void I've mentioned... well... is probably something that generates both motivation and pressure for the next generation to shine. It's not hard to see Patrick's influence on the team, because in his competitive highlights, he was on another level and he is a legend in his generation. Every time I watch the broadcast video of the "The Thank You Canada Tour" tour, I see the other members of the team sitting together and telling stories about Patrick in a very loving way, which makes me feel like he must be very cherished.
Patrick was and is special. I am so happy I got to see him compete live... only for one competition... but worth all the sacrifices to get there. I have seen many of the greatest skaters live but none came close to Patrick's skating. He is so fast, smooth, with deep edges... he is carving the ice like nobody. I dream about it still. <3 Patrick

Last edited:

ashleyming

On the Ice
Patrick was and is special. I am so happy I got to see him compete live... only for one competition... but worth all the sacrifices to get there. I have seen s many of the greatest skaters live but none came close to Patrick's skating. He is so fast, smooth, with deep edges... he is carving the ice like nobody. I dream about it still. <3 Patrick
In terms of achievements and records, Patrick will always be a Canadian hero. Of course, I still know the difficulty with the team after his retirement is huge, because not everyone is capable of creating his era of dominance the way Patrick did, but Keegan, Nam and Roman have tried so hard to dedicate for their career. What they really need now is stability and a charm with the podium in major tournaments too.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Not Keegan's worst free skate by any means, but he looked a bit tired there (the random fall in the middle probably didn't help). But I always appreciate that he has a good attitude when things don't go well.
He has looked tired since the short program. Things are done, although I pity for him as he was so close again. Hope things will be better in the upcoming season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not Keegan's worst free skate by any means, but he looked a bit tired there (the random fall in the middle probably didn't help). But I always appreciate that he has a good attitude when things don't go well.
I am sad to see Keegan miss the Podium after such a strong SP yesterday. On a positive note, he defeated several strong skaters in the SP and he's definitely in the Mix at the games if he can skate cleanly.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has looked tired since the short program. Things are done, although I pity for him as he was so close again. Hope things will be better in the upcoming season.
Several have remarked on Keegan looking tired. As soon as I saw him yesterday, I thought he looked like the parent of a several-months-old baby who keeps him marginally sleep-deprived all the time. I've been there ... but not on competitive ice at the same time!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i haven't found a video yet... but haven't looked tonight... (looked earlier today... and there was nothing)...but having seen the protocols, Keegan doubled his 3A which is one of his best jumps... I am not worried for him. Now he knows one very important thing, if he delivers, judges are happy to reward him... it confirms his world placement last year.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Patrick was and is special. I am so happy I got to see him compete live... only for one competition... but worth all the sacrifices to get there. I have seen many of the greatest skaters live but none came close to Patrick's skating. He is so fast, smooth, with deep edges... he is carving the ice like nobody. I dream about it still. <3 Patrick
I'm soo jealous. I would have loved to see Patrick (and Tessa and Scott)!!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i haven't found a video yet... but haven't looked tonight... (looked earlier today... and there was nothing)...but having seen the protocols, Keegan doubled his 3A which is one of his best jumps... I am not worried for him. Now he knows one very important thing, if he delivers, judges are happy to reward him... it confirms his world placement last year.