2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

ashleyming

On the Ice
Patrick was always harshly judged by many people on these forums. I don't miss having to confront the lynching mob like I had to upon his return to the competition. I do not wish any of this to our current crop of skaters... but at the same time, if people are synpathetic to them, it may be because they are not seen as threats yet...
They are not seen as threats yet because they have not won or even been on the podium at any Grand Slam competitions (Grand Slam achievements are judged based on World Titles, Grand Prix Final Titles and Four Continents Titles). Many say that Patrick's dominance throughout the decade has limited the growth of other athletes. But since the legend is gone, Skate Canada has been facing a crisis for 3 years and until now. People all the time just ask for sympathy for boys like Roman or Nam, but many years ago, when Patrick was still as young as they are now, did anyone sympathize with him? Roman placed 16th overall at the 2020 Four Continents Championship, and everyone convinced themselves that it had to be sympathetic because it was his first time in that arena. But in 2009, Patrick also competed in the 2009 Four Continents Championship for the first time, and he won his first 4CC title for Canada at that event. If he didn't win that day, I bet there wouldn't also be many people who would sympathize with him like they did with other skaters.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They are not seen as threats yet because they have not won or even been on the podium at any Grand Slam competitions (Grand Slam achievements are judged based on World Titles, Grand Prix Final Titles and Four Continents Titles). Many say that Patrick's dominance throughout the decade has limited the growth of other athletes. But since the legend is gone, Skate Canada has been facing a crisis for 3 years and until now. People all the time just ask for sympathy for boys like Roman or Nam, but many years ago, when Patrick was still as young as they are now, did anyone sympathize with him? Roman placed 16th overall at the 2020 Four Continents Championship, and everyone convinced themselves that it had to be sympathetic because it was his first time in that arena. But in 2009, Patrick also competed in the 2009 Four Continents Championship for the first time, and he won his first 4CC title for Canada at that event. If he didn't won that day, I bet there wouldn't also be many people who would sympathize with him like they did with other skaters.
yup.. i know.. what can we do? just relish in the beautiful skating Patrick has given us over the years and be proud that we were devoted fans. People who didn't appreciate him to his fair value, well, they missed out big time. Their loss. I will always remain @4everchan

ashleyming

On the Ice
yup.. i know.. what can we do? just relish in the beautiful skating Patrick has given us over the years and be proud that we were devoted fans. People who didn't appreciate him to his fair value, well, they missed out big time. Their loss. I will always remain @4everchan
For those who insists that titles and achievements are not everything for skaters, please remember that they are athletes as well, and achievements define the success of an athlete. Winning something before talking to the feds, or you would be in trouble. :) Legacy, international titles and world records are what make Patrick in a different class of his own, comparing to the other Canadian men skaters of the same generation and even now. No one wants to have a bad day in competing but it seems like since this season came, every Canadian men have not had a good package overall at any competitions, which is definitely questionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: waj

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For those who insists that titles and achievements are not everything for skaters, please remember that they are athletes as well, and achievements define the success of an athlete. Winning something before talking to the feds, or you would be in trouble. :) Legacy, international titles and world records are what make Patrick in a different class of his own, comparing to the other Canadian men skaters of the same generation and even now. No one wants to have a bad day in competing but it seems like since this season came, every Canadian men have not had a good package overall at any competitions, which is definitely questionable.
i am always hopeful things will get better, but I think it's a bit normal that we are seeing a low point right now..with the end of the golden age of Canadian skating, + the pandemic, I am not expecting much from our team. If we manage one medal in Beijing, I will be ecstatic. However, I am hopeful that 2026 will be much better. Ice dance is still strong. Pairs will be fine.. not too worried. Men : it will all depend on our guys mindset. I feel that nobody is courageous enough to become the leader and role model. It is a big big role to fill. Women : I think that young girls who are starting to skate now are the ones we will be talking about. I do believe, like I have read in a French CBC article that we will catch up on the other nations, but not with the current crop of women. New techniques of training are being implemented now, and they will produce results in 10 years from now. In the meantime, we get to cheer and feel less stressed out as every good competition outing is a bonus ! :)

ashleyming

On the Ice
i am always hopeful things will get better, but I think it's a bit normal that we are seeing a low point right now..with the end of the golden age of Canadian skating, + the pandemic, I am not expecting much from our team. If we manage one medal in Beijing, I will be ecstatic. However, I am hopeful that 2026 will be much better. Ice dance is still strong. Pairs will be fine.. not too worried. Men : it will all depend on our guys mindset. I feel that nobody is courageous enough to become the leader and role model. It is a big big role to fill. Women : I think that young girls who are starting to skate now are the ones we will be talking about. I do believe, like I have read in a French CBC article that we will catch up on the other nations, but not with the current crop of women. New techniques of training are being implemented now, and they will produce results in 10 years from now. In the meantime, we get to cheer and feel less stressed out as every good competition outing is a bonus ! :)
As I said before, we are living in an era that the Canadian national champions in men and ladies disciplines would finish in a very low position internationally. But after all, they are all human and it's not their fault that we have no trumpcard in the national team. So for us, cheering and hoping for the best are everything to do. :cheer2:

Reactions: waj

Apple1078

Final Flight
Patrick was always harshly judged by many people on these forums. I don't miss having to confront the lynching mob like I had to upon his return to the competition. I do not wish any of this to our current crop of skaters... but at the same time, if people are sympathetic to them, it may be because they are not seen as threats yet...
That's the thing though; it's easy to have sympathy when they aren't seen as a threat. In skating, the moment someone becomes a threat, the knives will come out. :(

ashleyming

On the Ice
That's the thing though; it's easy to have sympathy when they aren't seen as a threat. In skating, the moment someone becomes a threat, the knives will come out. :(
It means the price you absolutely have to pay for becoming an iconic champion on ice is equal to the tons of criticism you must receive in your competitive career. Reality has proven, not every Canadian national champion can leave a personal legacy in the international arena. That is the general situation of Canada after Patrick retired.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Calling it now, Nam and Keegan will be the Olympic picks. CBC loves their friendship story (it’s all they talked about last nationals) and they’re the most well known. Nam was already part of the Team Canada Olympic outfit reveal photo shoot.
For what it's worth, CBC did not broadcast Canadian Nationals (or SCI, until this year), CTV does/did. I also find the Nam/Keegan friendship story annoyingly overdone. That's network broadcasting for you. Once they latch on to a story, they push it like mad.

Since CBC did SCI this year, I hope they are covering Nationals as well. I am one among many who does not like Rod Black. At all. His predecessor Johnny Esaw was just as bad. Tracy is good, and her predecessor Debbie Wilkes was not bad.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Stephen Gogolev has withdrawn from the 2022 Skate Ontario Sectional. As he was assigned to 2021 Warsaw Cup, he has a bye to 2022 Skate Canada Challenge and was not required to compete at this event. His next event will be November 18-21.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Stephen Gogolev has withdrawn from the 2022 Skate Ontario Sectional. As he was assigned to 2021 Warsaw Cup, he has a bye to 2022 Skate Canada Challenge and was not required to compete at this event. His next event will be November 18-21.
you scared me for a second... i read has w/d and i thought we would not be able to see him at all... they should give us a list of those who have byes already... or course we know that people in the GP have them but it's hard to keep track with the challengers too...

ashleyming

On the Ice
you scared me for a second... i read has w/d and i thought we would not be able to see him at all... they should give us a list of those who have byes already... or course we know that people in the GP have them but it's hard to keep track with the challengers too...
The boy's schedule is so mysterious that we can barely follow his competitive routine. 😂 Anyway, I have always been so upset since the end of Skate Canada International 2021 that I guess I would need something interesting from the Sectionals to cheer myself up again.

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was really looking forward to watching him skate!😢 As long as he doesn't withdraw from Cup of Warsaw, I guess it's ok.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do think Keegan is kind of an obvious to send. But the second spot seem to be wide open. If Nam does well at his next GP and Roman doesn't then it would look good for Nam. I am cheering for him as he was the former world junior champ and has had to deal with so much physical growth.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm ok with that. But anyway, let's wait till the end of the National Championship 2022. ☺
Well this may be a time when Canada is not at its peak. Ebbs and flows. Their pairs could still get it together. They were ahead of the Germans,Japanese and Americans and now they are chasing. Who knows though. Admittedly bothKMT and Evelyn and Trent the strength and techniue especially of he men was or is a concern. The ladies okay they are in a situation where they wish they had a Jennifer Robinson bottom of top ten. Sadly inury didnt help. The men there is some hope. Both Keegan and Nam have been top six. Roman has potential. Poor gogolov has grown so much but who knows come 2026. If Canada lucked out and did their best they could end up as high as 4th in pairs 10 in ladies, 4th in 6th in men and second in dance. Then again they could be 18th or 19th in ladies 16th in men, 10th in pairs and 6th in dance.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Feels like I have waited for a decade to see a Patrick without mustache. 🙃 Thanks god, finally he has said goodbye to his Mo... (even though just for growing a new one 🤦‍♂️).
P.s: Please come back to the ice shows again Chiddy! I'm begging you!

ashleyming

On the Ice
Well this may be a time when Canada is not at its peak. Ebbs and flows. Their pairs could still get it together. They were ahead of the Germans,Japanese and Americans and now they are chasing. Who knows though. Admittedly bothKMT and Evelyn and Trent the strength and techniue especially of he men was or is a concern. The ladies okay they are in a situation where they wish they had a Jennifer Robinson bottom of top ten. Sadly inury didnt help. The men there is some hope. Both Keegan and Nam have been top six. Roman has potential. Poor gogolov has grown so much but who knows come 2026. If Canada lucked out and did their best they could end up as high as 4th in pairs 10 in ladies, 4th in 6th in men and second in dance. Then again they could be 18th or 19th in ladies 16th in men, 10th in pairs and 6th in dance.
Overall, we just have to see what the future might bring.