2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yay Madi!!!! And good job Roman - though part of me feels sorry for poor Nam. Only two spots and he has waited patiently and tried to deal with his height - my heart kind of breaks for him. I hope he can pull it together - then again my I will feel for the guys who don't go to Beijing. The Canadian men seem to have to deal with height issues Roman is or seems tall, Nam and Stephen grew like weeds and have had huge issues trying to adapt. And then there is Messing who is coping with being a new dad. Training isn't easy I am sure.

I am getting really scared watching MT M. What happened they are going in the wrong direction. Their lifts and twists are worse after making strives to improve and their jumps are no longer secure and finally they don't seem to have a style or persona - they need their tricks and something that sets them apart to compete against the second tier Chinese, all the Americans, Italians and Japanese.

Vanessa and Eric on the other hand seem to be moving in the right direction.

Balloon

On the Ice
Skater boy I agree I’m feeling bad for Nam. MT-M I’m not sure what’s happening, theres two spots and I’m sure Vanessa and Eric will have one but no sure who deserves the next one. Nationals will be interesting, really hoping the scoring wil be fair.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Roman had a good skate! Unfortunately the scoring was not great at this event, he ended up 4th but probably should have been 3rd and on the podium. It sucks, but still must feel good to put out a good skate after Skate Canada mishaps.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Roman had a good skate! Unfortunately the scoring was not great at this event, he ended up 4th but probably should have been 3rd and on the podium. It sucks, but still must feel good to put out a good skate after Skate Canada mishaps.
I feel sorry for Roman, but anyway, he did a quite good job, better than the ones at 2021 Skate Canada for sure. :) If only the judging panel made things right...

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes! Roman finally listened and put his triple triple in the first half of the program. Anyways, this was actually his best in terms of laying out as close to two clean programs, as possible. I wish there was more separation in PCS score between him and some of the other competitors. But, a 4th place finish here, has put him in 17th place overall in this Grand Prix series, one spot behind Keegan (who finished in 16th). I think this performance here will aid him greatly to be chosen to the Olympics.

Madeline Schizas, meanwhile was quite solid here with her 6th place finish. You can tell that is what she was aiming for. She is definitely the Top Canadian lady this year.

In pairs, nothing more to say about the Canadians. They whined about Vanessa and Eric’s comeback. But, their skating has gotten so much worse, so, I’m glad Eric decided to make a comeback. At least with Vanessa and Eric, we have a top ten contending team. Their fellow Canadian compatriots should be happy there is even a second spot up for grabs.

rain

Record Breaker
Yes, Roman deserved to be on the podium here IMO. On the positive side he's really building this season, and I think this performance should solidify a spot for him on the Canadian Olympic team. I kind of feel like, watching Nam this season, his head is already out of the game. He's said this is his last season, and to me his performances look like he's already done with it.

In a similar vein, I think Madeline Schizas's performance here just solidified that she's the pick for the Olympic team for women.

Moore-Towers/Marinaro is so puzzling to me this season. They should easily be crushing the competition in Canada, yet they look shakier then they have in at least three seasons. I don't know what's going on in their heads, but they need to get it together. Also, I don't like most of the changes to their LP. I absolutely loved this program a couple of years ago and think it was choreographically brilliant. They should go back to that, IMO, with maybe a few tweaks.

Looks like Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen were the victims of a political push by the Italians, who are suddenly being scored as medal contenders for the Olympics, when these teams were battling it out as recently as last season. I far prefer FB/S, as I've always found Guinard/Fabri to completely miss the mark for me with their material, and that has not changed this season.

ashleyming

On the Ice
I just finished to watch men's FS. I discovered Roman Sadovsky!! He really is a great asset for Canada! So expressive and powerful skater!
Roman is still struggling from all the growing-up issues and needs to be more consistent, but comparing to what he has done throughout this season, the 2 programs at Rostelecom were better than the others of him.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Moore-Towers/Marinaro is so puzzling to me this season. They should easily be crushing the competition in Canada, yet they look shakier then they have in at least three seasons. I don't know what's going on in their heads, but they need to get it together.
They’ve both had health/injury problems.
Looks like Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen were the victims of a political push by the Italians, who are suddenly being scored as medal contenders for the Olympics, when these teams were battling it out as recently as last season. I far prefer FB/S, as I've always found Guinard/Fabri to completely miss the mark for me with their material, and that has not changed this season.
Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen were never on the same level as Guignard & Fabbri, score-wise. The former came surprisingly close to the latter in the RD at Lombardia two years ago, but that was it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always liked Roman Sadowsky and quite enjoyed his skating at Rostelecom. But there was no way he was getting on the podium when both Kvitelashvili and Tomono were 11 points up on him after the SP, and he was less than a point ahead of Russia's only hope for the GPF. Kolyada aways gets sky-high PCS no matter how erratically he skates, and this time he did fairly well (for him), so that ended any hope for a medal for Roman.

withwings

On the Ice
I know, but I don't think that fully explains just how far they have regressed.
I think that only injury what keeps them to succeed in Kirsten's psychological make-up.
She has to stop blaming everything and everyone around her and, instead, look deeply inside herself. And to be happy for other competitors success as well as.
And, I guess, no one denies she is a great pair girl and has a star power.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know, but I don't think that fully explains just how far they have regressed.
Their twist and lifts were their most problematic elements all along, and with Michael’s back problems it’s not surprising that they’ve gotten worse.

withwings

On the Ice
Imho it was clear in the very beginning this pairing is not going to work

On the other hand, the way how she split with Dylan... it was an utmost arrogance from her side.
Anyway we all make mistakes. I think that Kirsten has a potential to be a next great coach, the next Tamara Moskvina; provided of course she learns a humble lesson from her mistakes.
I might be wrong of course about everything I say here. My opinion is based only on my observation ; on what I have seen on the screen, heard in interviews or read.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Laurence is a stronger skater than Nikolaj for me. He's a bit stiff especially in the legs and could do with more emoting. They have good ice coverage, but G/F are also amazingly fast (despite both being small people). G/F have better matching lines and synchronicity, as well as some of the cleanest footwork around.

Whether you like their programmes is a subjective opinion. I really liked FB/S's SP but not the LP (I'm fine with voiceovers if limited to a sentence/phrase at the start to help set the mood, not a rambling podcast in a cringey 'exotic' accent). But technique-wise G/F have consistently been better.

Italian politics have more to blame for why they were undermarked so long in favour of Capellini/Lanotte (who were lovely but so slow...)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that only injury what keeps them to succeed in Kirsten's psychological make-up.
She has to stop blaming everything and everyone around her and, instead, look deeply inside herself. And to be happy for other competitors success as well as.
And, I guess, no one denies she is a great pair girl and has a star power.
It's funny, until I read your comment just now, it had actually slipped my mind what great star power Kirsten has. She and Michael have just not been themselves this season. Still, they have a history of coming on strong after what was or seemed like a setback. It could happen. I wonder if part of the trouble, as you suggest, is that they've let James/Radford get into their heads a bit. But if it's shoulder or back issues for Michael, I take that as confirmation that KMT doesn't do her part in the lifts. Someone said Dylan had similar troubles when they were partners.

Well, people will be watching M-T/M, and it could be exciting if we see them regain some of their former form, mental strength, and sparkle.