2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it true that Keegan’s skates were lost and he’s breaking in a new pair of women’s skates? Please tell me this is a joke.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Is it true that Keegan’s skates were lost and he’s breaking in a new pair of women’s skates? Please tell me this is a joke.
it is not a joke... source : nam's instagram stories (you can see this on the thread about the senior men SP)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently Keegan's luggage, including skates, have finally arrived this morning!
Oh thank goodness. Though apparently he was landing quads yesterday in a pair of brand new women’s skates and wearing jeans.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Rumors on Twitter are saying Gogolev withdrew due to COVID. This was one comment: “I was informed his rink (Great Park Ice) is a COVID mess, with an unvaccinated coach who is COVID positive, and parents dropping off kids who are positive in learn to skate. I'm awaiting official word.”

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Is Wesley Chiu Olympic eligible?

The way everyone else is skating, if he has a good long I'd just as soon go totally off the board, and he seems to have potential 🤷‍♂️

Balloon

On the Ice
After the short, Maddie looked amazing and ready, a pleasant surprise with Wesley, Piper and Paul are in a league of their own and pairs they seem to have the most struggle, lots of best skates of the season but I wouldn’t say Olympic ready but we’ll see after the long today. To me the short showed MTM will get the big scores if they pull off an ok performance today.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Congratulations with your wonderful men skaters. They might not all have the biggest jumping tricks in the business (quite a few without a quad and/or a 3A) but they definitely are a joy to watch. Even in the lower ranks there were so many with great edges, musiciality and good spins. Inspiring. Never a boring moment in watching these young men. Of course, some had a bad day but on the whole it was just a lovely event, the SP at Nationals. And special Kudos to Keegan who skated well despite him not having got his own skates back until very late. I know (and it was mentioned by Ted) he had actually been practicing on new ones. What a fighter.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
List of who has tech mins for seniors!

Men
Worlds + 4CC/Oly
- Keegan Messing
- Nam Nguyen
- Conrad Orzel
- Roman Sadovsky
[+ Nicolas Nadeau, who is no longer competing in men]
4CC/Oly only
- Wesley Chiu
- Corey Circelli
- Beres Clements
- Stephen Gogolev
- Joseph Phan
- Bennet Toman

Women
Worlds + 4CC/Oly
- Emily Bausback
- Gabrielle Daleman
- Alicia Pineault
- Madeline Schizas
- Alison Schumacher
4CC/Oly only
- Veronik Mallet
[+ Hannah Dawson, who is retired]

Pairs
Worlds + 4CC/Oly
- Vanessa James/Eric Radford
- Lori-Ann Matte/Thierry Ferland
- Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro
- Deanna Stellato-Dudek/Maxime Deschamps
- Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud

Dance
Worlds + 4CC/Oly
- Alicia Fabbri/Paul Ayer
- Laurence Fournier Beaudry/Nikolaj Soerensen
- Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier
- Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha
- Molly Lanaghan/Dmitre Razgulajevs
- Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain Le Gac
- Haley Sales/Nikolas Wamsteeker
- Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus

ashleyming

On the Ice
Congrats to Keegan, Roman and Wesley, a well-deserved national title, a very good fight back to deliver a strong free skate and a glorious senior debut. 🙂 Also, kudos to Joseph, who has been fighting so hard with injuries this season to make a come back at the Nats. After all, the future in Canada seems to be very promising for the men discipline.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Three out of the four disciplines are for certain in regards to who Canada will send to the Olympics. I think the second spot in Pairs is the only questionable decision from this National Championship. Rooting for an upset. But, Radford and James probably make more sense. But, I think there is a 20% chance, it could be the silver medalists. Toss up for me. Wish Radford and James would have earned it.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
don't you think they have earned it with getting international kudos from the judges this season? to me the upset will be if they do not get selected. I agree with the rest of your post.. the other 3 disciplines : obvious choices.
I like it when athletes like Keegan, who could have WD due to skate situation, but, still go for it, and deliver at Nationals only to solidify their position even more. I just feel like it was a move by Eric and Vanessa to preserve their spot because if they didn’t move up in the standing and finished 4th, that would have damaged their reputation. But, Radford and James are solid as they are the better option not just for the individual event, but, also the team event. If Canada decides to split one of the other disciplines instead, and use one pair, I think I would now choose KMT over Radford and James.