2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
And there are two Canadian teams on the World Junior dance podium for the first time in history!

In one sense, the main reason that Nadiia & Peter had this opportunity is the Russian teams getting banned, but all the same, I was really worried that they would be screwed over by having to change their free dance at the last minute due to the war. Glad to see that didn't happen.
I loved both their free dances but the new one is Wow!! ❤️ It!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
D'Alessandro & Waddell have split, with Natalie saying she's retiring to go to university. No word as yet on whether Bruce plans to keep competing, but oddly enough his brother just retired from competition. That leaves Nadiia & Peter alone at the top on the national junior dance scene next season.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
D'Alessandro & Waddell have split, with Natalie saying she's retiring to go to university. No word as yet on whether Bruce plans to keep competing, but oddly enough his brother just retired from competition. That leaves Nadiia & Peter alone at the top on the national junior dance scene next season.
Nooo, another junior team breaking my heart again 😢
I suppose it's normal for the ranks to thin out moving upward, but still...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what about Miku and Tyler? are they still competing, aging out? Did i miss news about them ?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Miku aged out of junior. There hasn’t been any news on whether they plan to continue or not.
Maybe not. Isn't there a move to raise max age for Junior (pairs/dance) to be unisex/raised for women? Of course, it may not pass, or pass but not be implemented immediately.

Knebli

Rinkside
Elvis and Kurt did a long (1 hour +) youtube video as a promotion for Stars on Ice. They talk about their careers, training, how to compete, their lives, the new judging system, and much, much more.

Kurt and Elvis in conversation
great trail blazers for Canada............. thank you..... much respect. Thinking they can pass the torch to new blood - this gets tired - 1 hour +? Many other great Canadian skaters deserve a chance to shine in this specific light. Osmond, Messing, possibly Nguyen. Just sayin'

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
great trail blazers for Canada............. thank you..... much respect. Thinking they can pass the torch to new blood - this gets tired - 1 hour +? Many other great Canadian skaters deserve a chance to shine in this specific light. Osmond, Messing, possibly Nguyen. Just sayin'
i am fine with the idea of other skaters promoting the sport in Canada... unfortunately though, it's hard to match up Kurt and Elvis in terms of achievements and popularity. Patrick yes... Kaetlyn yes... Messing and Nguyen, not quite as popular/successful... and they are also still skating competitively....

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
i am fine with the idea of other skaters promoting the sport in Canada... unfortunately though, it's hard to match up Kurt and Elvis in terms of achievements and popularity. Patrick yes... Kaetlyn yes... Messing and Nguyen, not quite as populer/successful... and they are also still skating competitively....
Messing wasn't even on the advertisement of the SOI on TV here, and I only got the ticket because he is on the list. I am now wondering if he is doing all the cities.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Messing wasn't even on the advertisement of the SOI on TV here, and I only got the ticket because he is on the list. I am now wondering if he is doing all the cities.
He's listed on the website. It shows that Maddie is only doing two shows. To me that implies that if the others were only doing selected shows, it would be indicated as well.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Looking at it again, it looks like the interview is on Kurt's personal channel, and was done now because they are together for Stars on Ice. It was tweeted as SOI related, but is actually much more general.

Kurt's channel also includes a bunch of old CBC broadcasts of SOI.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
messing is super hot to watch at galas!!!! enjoy !!!! and don't try counting the number of turns he does in his spins... you will get dizzy lol

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
messing is super hot to watch at galas!!!! enjoy !!!! and don't try counting the number of turns he does in his spins... you will get dizzy lol
I know, even my husband likes Messing's galas, so he doesn't mind going with me. Messing and I did the opposite choices for SkCan/SkAm in 2019 and this year, but I really want to see him live and I thought in his case gala is awesome. Just fingers crossed he will be performing in Calgary.

That would be another one of the 'must see live!' checked off the list.