2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 135 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Amber's main rivals aren't at SA, but she has to have a good showing against Audrey Shin, Sakamoto, You, Kim, Miyahara, Kurakova, Trusova and two other Russian ladies.

Amber's GP record is not admirable. Her best result was at 2020 SA, and she finished 5th against a field that consisted mainly of her own countrywomen. And she was beaten by Audrey Shin, who won bronze.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Apparently, Aliona, Kamila, and Elizaveta don't have visas for Skate Canada yet. If they don't get the visas in time, this could help Alysa towards getting to the GPF

That's bummer. I actually want to see how Alysa compete against the top Russian girls at SC and see where is her placement. If she wins, that's great. If not, she can learn from them and improve from there. Alysa is in better shape (both mental and physical wise) than Alena. I really do believe that she will place ahead of Alena and win bronze at SC. IMO, Winning bronze medal/4th place in a field with Russian girls is more impressive than winning gold in an empty field. Hope the Russian girls can make it.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
This is a really important opportunity for Amber. I think she needs to show a clean short and a mostly clean long to start making her case for the Olympics. My feeling is save the 3A for later in the season.

I was disappointed not to see Bradie's progress, but it gives Amber a chance to shine at Skate America.
SA is not stacked at all. Sasha is apparently injured and other japanese girls like Koari are struggling. It's good opportunity for US skaters to take this advantage and win medal(s) at SA this year. I think Amber is going for 3A this time. She is keep practicing according to the practice notes from Jackie Wong. Both Audrey Shin and Amber Glenn still have some chance for podium.

#SkateAmerica Interesting thoughts from Amber Glenn on triple axel: "It is empowering, you feel good, you get a rush from it... But I am a well rounded skater. I need to embrace that, too." Axel is planned in the short if she is in "the right physical and mental aspect to do it."

readernick

Medalist
SA is not stacked at all. Sasha is apparently injured and other japanese girls like Koari are struggling. It's good opportunity for US skaters to take this advantage and win medal(s) at SA this year. I think Amber is going for 3A this time. She is keep practicing according to the practice notes from Jackie Wong. Both Audrey Shin and Amber Glenn still have some chance for podium.

#SkateAmerica Interesting thoughts from Amber Glenn on triple axel: "It is empowering, you feel good, you get a rush from it... But I am a well rounded skater. I need to embrace that, too." Axel is planned in the short if she is in "the right physical and mental aspect to do it."
I mean we all hope that Amber does well. But, realistically Amber doing great in practice means nothing for competition. She always looks great in practice. Great SS, wonderful jumps. But, questionable program choices and she is not known for her competition nerves. I'm not holding my breath. I certainly hope she proves me wrong! She has so much potential!

Audrey could get on the podium if everyone else falls a lot, otherwise her URs and downgrades will hold her back. I also hope she proves me wrong and rotates.

If Trusova really is injured, I imagine Kaori, Ksenia and Daria are the ones most likely to capitalize. But, I certainly hope we don't have a repeat of the men's SP. That was brutal!

katymay

Medalist
I mean we all hope that Amber does well. But, realistically Amber doing great in practice means nothing for competition. She always looks great in practice. Great SS, wonderful jumps. But, questionable program choices and she is not known for her competition nerves. I'm not holding my breath. I certainly hope she proves me wrong! She has so much potential!

Audrey could get on the podium if everyone else falls a lot, otherwise her URs and downgrades will hold her back. I also hope she proves me wrong and rotates.

If Trusova really is injured, I imagine Kaori, Ksenia and Daria are the ones most likely to capitalize. But, I certainly hope we don't have a repeat of the men's SP. That was brutal!
Watching practices it is clear to me that Amber is the strongest US woman, so many K.Osmond vibes, and her 3A -when she lands it-is amazing. Even though she is inconsistent, I would put her on the Olympic team based on what she is capable of doing. Alysa will have a top ten finish, does it matter what the other two place? And yes I know it won’t work like this, it is just what I would do.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watching practices it is clear to me that Amber is the strongest US woman, so many K.Osmond vibes, and her 3A -when she lands it-is amazing. Even though she is inconsistent, I would put her on the Olympic team based on what she is capable of doing. Alysa will have a top ten finish, does it matter what the other two place? And yes I know it won’t work like this, it is just what I would do.
You don't put people on Olympic teams just because of how talented they are. Only the elite go to the Olympics and Amber has never shown she is elite.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You don't put people on Olympic teams just because of how talented they are. Only the elite go to the Olympics and Amber has never shown she is elite.
Exactly!!! Amber needs to bring it when the pressure is on. I hope she's learned her lesson from her omission from the World Team. She needs to deliver at Skate America. With Bradie out of the lineup, she needs to be the top US Lady at this event to make her case for a spot on the team.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Sadly, she has not. I just don't think that if she plays safe and doesn't go for her 3axel and just wants "to get back her confidence", well, Nationals are ten weeks away and it's too late for "confidence". Either you have it or you don't ten weeks before the team is decided. I mean, USFS gave her this plumb assignment at their premiere international event. Just skating to build confidence is not going to cut it, unfortunately. This is her Olympic tryout this weekend. She is showing how she will skate at the Olympics and if it's worthy enough to be considered. Let's hope she goes for broke and gives them a reason for her to be considered. A 6th place here or lower will slam the door on her dreams. So she needs to go for the brass ring.

Amei

Record Breaker

Well if practice determined champions than I'm sure champions of competitions would be a lot different; Amber needs to deliver in competition and probably at more than 1 competition.

If the other 2 don't matter - than careful they might pick the skaters of the future, like Lindsay Thorngren who attempts technical content that's actually competitive to the top ladies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well if practice determined champions than I'm sure champions of competitions would be a lot different; Amber needs to deliver in competition and probably at more than 1 competition.

If the other 2 don't matter - than careful they might pick the skaters of the future, like Lindsay Thorngren who attempts technical content that's actually competitive to the top ladies.
After seeing Lindsay delivery week after week. The US Ladies need to step it up. Other than Alysa, Lindsay is currently ahead of the rest of field Technically. With Bradie's health in question, Amber has a lot to prove this weekend. If Bradie is healthy for Nationals, I could certainly see a team of Alysa, Lindsay, and Bradie being selected for the Games.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After seeing Lindsay delivery week after week. The US Ladies need to step it up. Other than Alysa, Lindsay is currently ahead of the rest of field Technically. With Bradie's health in question, Amber has a lot to prove this weekend. If Bradie is healthy for Nationals, I could certainly see a team of Alysa, Lindsay, and Bradie being selected for the Games.
I’m no fan of Karen Chen. But, I’m getting tired of people dropping her off the Olympic team. She came in 4th place at Worlds behind only Russians with a score close to 210. This year, she has already beaten Amber at Finlandia and scored over 200. Until one of these American skaters score over 205 in an international event, they have no business being mentioned over her. Lindsay is technically slightly ahead. But, not even close in PCS.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I’m no fan of Karen Chen. But, I’m getting tired of people dropping her off the Olympic team. She came in 4th place at Worlds behind only Russians with a score close to 210. This year, she has already beaten Amber at Finlandia and scored over 200. Until one of these American skaters score over 205 in an international event, they have no business being mentioned over her. Lindsay is technically slightly ahead. But, not even close in PCS.
Here's the thing about Karen. Other than Worlds last year, she has a poor record when competing against Bradie. Technically, I can't see her defeating Alysa, Bradie, or Lindsay if they all skate clean. We can't forget that she lost to Amber at last years Nationals and was saved by her pre-nationals record. Mariah has basically dropped off the Map which is sad as she was great just 2 seasons ago. I hope the committee doesn't come into play and the top 3 ladies from Nationals are sent.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, not the greatest outing for our ladies in terms of scores. Our top lady, Amber, is more that 10 points behind the leader. I'm recording the event and I have yet to see any of the performances. Here's to better success and higher scores in the free.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, not the greatest outing for our ladies in terms of scores. Our top lady, Amber, is more that 10 points behind the leader. I'm recording the event and I have yet to see any of the performances. Here's to better success and higher scores in the free.
Amber skated clean but left out the triple axel. I was pleased with it. It was a SB.

readernick

Medalist
It was UR. I was hoping that she would skate clean, but that UR should have been called.
Yes, but in fairness a lot of calls were ignored. The panel only called URs that were evident in real time. Ksenia's combo was UR, so was Young's flip and 3A but neither got called. . It was a lenient panel. With a strict panel everyone would have either edge calls or UR calls. This panel called no edges.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Amber skated clean but left out the triple axel. I was pleased with it. It was a SB.
I just saw a fan came of Amber's SP. I tell you what, she really does have power and very deep edges. Her opening combo was gorgeous and she was clearly the top US Lady today. Bravo!

dancelion21

On the Ice
The US ladies did not cover themselves in glory after the short program in Skate America. Audrey and Starr were always outside hopes for olympic spots, but based on today's showing, they're far behind in the pecking order, certainly both behind Lindsay, who has consistent and difficult triple triples. Starr's tech content has never been up to par, and Audrey's clearly still struggling with her injury since we didn't see a more difficult combination jump. Maybe Audrey can fully recover in time for US Nationals and showcase more difficulty, but by then it will probably be too late with BOW. I don't see Starr suddenly getting a difficult triple-triple when she's been doing the 3T+3T for years.

Amber's more frustrating because of the 3A. I'm starting to feel like she will never land it in competition since she usually chooses to play it safe. Even if she does land it, I feel like it will be too late. She's a nervous competitor, and it's feeling more and more like her Nationals free program in 2020 was a fluke. I wonder if putting her 3A all over social media is a bad idea. She definitely needs to publicize it since the 3A is what puts her on the map, but by constantly posting it, Amber's setting expectations that she's going to do it in competition, and that just hasn't happened.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The US ladies did not cover themselves in glory after the short program in Skate America. Audrey and Starr were always outside hopes for olympic spots, but based on today's showing, they're far behind in the pecking order, certainly both behind Lindsay, who has consistent and difficult triple triples. Starr's tech content has never been up to par, and Audrey's clearly still struggling with her injury since we didn't see a more difficult combination jump. Maybe Audrey can fully recover in time for US Nationals and showcase more difficulty, but by then it will probably be too late with BOW. I don't see Starr suddenly getting a difficult triple-triple when she's been doing the 3T+3T for years.

Amber's more frustrating because of the 3A. I'm starting to feel like she will never land it in competition since she usually chooses to play it safe. Even if she does land it, I feel like it will be too late. She's a nervous competitor, and it's feeling more and more like her Nationals free program in 2020 was a fluke. I wonder if putting her 3A all over social media is a bad idea. She definitely needs to publicize it since the 3A is what puts her on the map, but by constantly posting it, Amber's setting expectations that she's going to do it in competition, and that just hasn't happened.
This is exactly how I feel. I guess it depends on what the US expects of our Ladies at the Games. When clean, Alysa, Lindsay, and Bradie are our best hope. We've seen Alysa and Lindsay prove themselves already and we'll have to see Bradie when she's healthy.