2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 134 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

Remilia

On the Ice
One rule change that I feel MUST be changed is this business where you are ineligible to compete in senior competitions because your birthday is after June 30. If they want only 15 y/o's and up, then they should say that any person age 15 on the date of the competition is eligible. I'm born 7/7, like Akatieva, and I'd be livid if I was her. Especially seeing Maiia win Budapest with a shaky program. Any Akatieva performance this year would have cleaned Maiia's clock. Never mind Anna's.... But to think Sofia Akatieva not only is being denied the chance to beat Maiia in international competition this season, but NEXT season as well, due to her being 8 days too young. It's ridiculous. And yes, I wish Isabeau Levito was eligible for the Olympics too. Alysa, Isabeau, Lindsay/Amber. Perfect for me!
I mean, Akatieva and Isabeau would still be too young to compete as seniors this season and be eligible for the Olympics, given that they are born in 2007 and 14-years-old.

But I agree, the whole having to be born by June 30th rule is a tad silly and situations like Akatieva not being senior eligible next season because she was born a few days too late is ridiculous.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I mean, Akatieva and Isabeau would still be too young to compete as seniors this season and be eligible for the Olympics, given that they are born in 2007 and 14-years-old.

But I agree, the whole having to be born by June 30th rule is a tad silly and situations like Akatieva not being senior eligible next season because she was born a few days too late is ridiculous.
It's pretty standard in sports with age requirements to have a set date like that though. In the NHL, you have to be 18 by September 15th to be draft eligible and allowed to play. In gymnastics I believe it's January 1st.

I don't really see why it's ridiculous - with any age requirement, you'll have someone who's very close to the edge. You have to put the line somewhere. Even if the rule was that you had to be 15 by the start of the competition, you could have a skater who turned 15 the week after, and then they wouldn't be allowed.

Amei

Record Breaker
It's pretty standard in sports with age requirements to have a set date like that though. In the NHL, you have to be 18 by September 15th to be draft eligible and allowed to play. In gymnastics I believe it's January 1st.

I don't really see why it's ridiculous - with any age requirement, you'll have someone who's very close to the edge. You have to put the line somewhere. Even if the rule was that you had to be 15 by the start of the competition, you could have a skater who turned 15 the week after, and then they wouldn't be allowed.

Totally agree, there's got to be a line somewhere, every sport has 1 and I'm sure most sports regularly have a talented athlete or athletes that just missed the cut-off.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
But that would at least make SENSE. I, born July 7, would totally understand if I was ineligible to compete in a senior competition between June 23-July 7 against someone who just turned age eligible days before. Okay, those weeks before you turn eligible might seem arbitrary, but at least you know when you hit 15 you can compete. Not when you have to wait until you are at least six months to a year older than your peers.

macy

Record Breaker
Amber looks amazing in practice. she really is national champion material, but unfortunately she's not a good competitor...it's so sad. she has SO MUCH potential. she looks so confident in her run throughs and FLIES into her jumps.

it looks like she is taking out the 3A for this competition which i think is smart. a confidence booster for her looks like a clean skate and i'm assuming thats what she's going for here. i think she's a skater who gets into her head too much and gets overwhelmed easily, so baby steps. i'd rather a clean, confident amber than a mess of a program with a 3A.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amber is basically what Gracie was about 5-7 years ago except Gracie did sometimes show what she could do and put it all together such as winning two National championships and GP medals and making numerous World teams and the Olympic team. We only got frustrated because when she skated like she did in the LP at Nationals in 2016 she was world championship material and for her never to have won a medal of any kind while other even more inconsistent less successful skaters like Higuchi and Daleman have won medals was hard to take.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
it looks like she is taking out the 3A for this competition which i think is smart. a confidence booster for her looks like a clean skate and i'm assuming thats what she's going for here.
I totally agree. With USFSA's selection policy now rewarding consistency, Amber can't afford to take risks that could result in her programs falling apart if she misses the 3A. As we've seen many times, even landing the big element does no help if you miss easier elements later in the program, so I think the time to introduce the 3A is once she's getting the most points she can from 3 and 7 triple layouts.

macy

Record Breaker
I totally agree. With USFSA's selection policy now rewarding consistency, Amber can't afford to take risks that could result in her programs falling apart if she misses the 3A. As we've seen many times, even landing the big element does no help if you miss easier elements later in the program, so I think the time to introduce the 3A is once she's getting the most points she can from 3 and 7 triple layouts.
the thing is she doesn't even need the 3A to make the olympic team. she needs to skate clean all season. i wouldn't doubt they're even abandoning it this season all together in competition and it's not a bad idea at all.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Amber looks amazing in practice. she really is national champion material, but unfortunately she's not a good competitor...it's so sad. she has SO MUCH potential. she looks so confident in her run throughs and FLIES into her jumps.

it looks like she is taking out the 3A for this competition which i think is smart. a confidence booster for her looks like a clean skate and i'm assuming thats what she's going for here. i think she's a skater who gets into her head too much and gets overwhelmed easily, so baby steps. i'd rather a clean, confident amber than a mess of a program with a 3A.
Welcome to the world of Amber Glenn fanhood. We've known for YEARS how amazing she is. It's not a fun ride to say the least. However, I don't think we can ever count on a clean, confident Amber. It will be a mess, usually, like two weeks ago at her international. She needs that 3axel in every program. Otherwise expect her to get ignored like Ross Miner even if she wins the silver at USN.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Apparently, Aliona, Kamila, and Elizaveta don't have visas for Skate Canada yet. If they don't get the visas in time, this could help Alysa towards getting to the GPF

ribbit

On the Ice
But that would at least make SENSE. I, born July 7, would totally understand if I was ineligible to compete in a senior competition between June 23-July 7 against someone who just turned age eligible days before. Okay, those weeks before you turn eligible might seem arbitrary, but at least you know when you hit 15 you can compete. Not when you have to wait until you are at least six months to a year older than your peers.
I assume that the 30 June cut-off date is chosen to align, more or less, with the sport's season – just as the NHL begins in mid-October and so has a cut-off date a month beforehand. That provides a certain amount of predictability and stability. Skaters and their coaches and families know beforehand what their objectives for the end of the season will be, and can plan programs and training regimens accordingly (bearing in mind that junior and senior programs have different requirements); federations know whom they can send to the different tiers of competition and can distribute assignments and resources accordingly.

If skaters could move up from junior to senior competition at any point during the season, a promising junior might have to choose between sitting out a big chunk of the season and beginning to compete only after other senior skaters had already had several opportunities to show their programs to judges and work out the glitches and nerves or learning two different versions of a program (or in the case of the ice dancers, two entirely different rhythm dances) to compete in juniors for part of the season and seniors for the rest – which may not be ideal from the perspective of training, and which could quickly get expensive. And what happens if that junior then doesn't get senior assignments, or gets assignments that are smaller and less prestigious than the junior assignments they passed up? They would have lost the invaluable experience and growth that comes of competing on the big stages for nothing.

GP assignments would get even harder, and there would probably be even more scope for skaters and fans alike to complain of unfairness: who deserves a spot at a late-season GP more, a skater with a senior-level competition score in the top 75 Season's Best list or a junior who racked up wins on the JGP circuit in the previous season but didn't medal at Junior Worlds and has no senior competition record? How would the GP rules (which are already complex) have to be rewritten to let those juniors angling to move up during the season demonstrate their eligibility for a GP assignment? And federations would be asked to take a chance on naming to ISU competitions skaters who had done extremely well at domestic nationals but had no experience of senior-level international competition, having skaters make their senior international debuts at the highest-stakes competitions, far more frequently than they currently are.

tl;dr: The current system has an internal logic that provides stability and predictability to all involved, while a change would introduce more uncertainty for all and potentially create more expense and stress for skaters while inhibiting their development.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Amber apparently did one completely clean, fully rotated 3A on the pracrice session. Maybe just for fun, maybe shes still planning on it for the short.
Is this from a current practice report? I really want Amber to prove that last year was not a fluke and that she deserved her spot on the World Team. She was really impressive at Nationals and I loved her big, powerful jumps. Her first event was unfortunate but, she has a chance for redemption.

Last edited:

AlysaLiuStan

#Liunatic
On the Ice
Country
Italy
Apparently, Aliona, Kamila, and Elizaveta don't have visas for Skate Canada yet. If they don't get the visas in time, this could help Alysa towards getting to the GPF

She would win Skate Canada.

Remilia

On the Ice

True. The cut off has to be somewhere, and regardless of where, there would be someone getting screwed over by it. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Amber is basically what Gracie was about 5-7 years ago except Gracie did sometimes show what she could do and put it all together such as winning two National championships and GP medals and making numerous World teams and the Olympic team. We only got frustrated because when she skated like she did in the LP at Nationals in 2016 she was world championship material and for her never to have won a medal of any kind while other even more inconsistent less successful skaters like Higuchi and Daleman have won medals was hard to take.
Indeed!!!!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
True. The cut off has to be somewhere, and regardless of where, there would be someone getting screwed over by it. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Then do like gymnastics. You are eligible if you are X age by December 31. That at least solves the problem of a July baby not being Olympics eligible by one day (or even one minute). I like that better, to be honest. If you are 15 by December you are eligible to compete senior at Worlds. And this makes sense when considering the juniors. They can do their JGP, win JGPF, etc while being 15 and then additionally be able to compete at Worlds at 15 like the rest of the new seniors moving up. They clearly show that they deserve to be there.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
This is a really important opportunity for Amber. I think she needs to show a clean short and a mostly clean long to start making her case for the Olympics. My feeling is save the 3A for later in the season.

I was disappointed not to see Bradie's progress, but it gives Amber a chance to shine at Skate America.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes! Amber has two GP Senior Events to prove she can skate well internationally. Two solid skates over 200, will show this, and put her in contention so that if she makes it to the Podium, in Nationals, she can be selected for Olympic Team. If she doesn’t deliver in these two Senior Events, I feel the selection committee will skip her, unless she wins Nationals. As an Amber fan, I’m excited and nervous. This is her chance with no Bradie, Alysa, Karen or Mariah in this event. Wishing her a good outing here.