2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 226 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

beepboop

On the Ice
Congratulations to the 2022 Junior National Champion, Clare Seo, and to Ava Ziegler and Josephine Lee, in 2nd and 3rd 🥳 Clare was fabulous and solid as always. Two relative newcomers, Katie Shen and Elyce Lin-Gracey, really caught my eye. They both have such lovely qualities and make me excited for the future of US women's singles (along with Lindsay, Isabeau, and the medalists, of course), and I look forward to seeing them develop over the coming years!

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
If the Feds were smart they would send 2 flights and divide the main teams for all disciplines in half and split the alternates between the 2 flights so if 1 person gets sick it potentially doesn't wipe out a large number of the main team
Flying on different flights is quite a common security practice. For example, in the US, the President and the VP can’t fly on the same plane, just in case. (Though this rule has been broken occasionally.)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If the Feds were smart they would send 2 flights and divide the main teams for all disciplines in half and split the alternates between the 2 flights so if 1 person gets sick it potentially doesn't wipe out a large number of the main team

Flying on different flights is quite a common security practice. For example, in the US, the President and the VP can’t fly on the same plane, just in case. (Though this rule has been broken occasionally.)

I think i also recall that the UK does not like Charles and William fly together either.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
Based on Jackie Wong notes, Isabeau has the best practice so far, follow by Alysa/Karen. Amber/Mariah next. Lindsay's jumps seem very messy in practice.

Practice notes also reveals that Isabeau doesn't has serious injury after all. It was just a "rumor", not a fact. Minor injury? Probably. Serious injury? Definitely not.

Alysa FS run thru

Mariah FS run thru

Karen SP run thru
Thanks for posting these!

natsulian

Final Flight
With Junior Nationals coming to a close, the likeliest Junior World women's team consists of Isabeau Levito, Lindsay Thorngren, and Clare Seo. With the advent of junior women like Ava Ziegler, Katie Shen, Josephine Lee, Kanon Smith, Kate Wang, and Mia Kalin, this upcoming batch of juniors is probably the deepest it's ever been.

During Junior Nationals, a total of seven 3-3s were attempted in the Short and nine in the Free. Furthermore, two quadruple jumps were attempted, both by Mia Kalin who has landed cleanly ratified quad-Toes in international competition. Unfortunately, Kalin's two quad-Toe attempts were deemed under-rotated and downgraded respectively. Compiled below is a comparative look at how the junior women fared with their 3-3 jumps and performance components. Also, cool tidbit, this is the first time in Junior Nationals history that five women scored 170+ in total.

Highest Scoring 3-3s in the Free:
1. Hannah H. --- 3Lz3T, +1.57
2. Josephine L. --- 3T3T, +0.70
3. Sonia B. --- 3S1Eu3S, -0.29
4. Mia K. --- 3Lz3T, -0.39
5. Katie K. --- 3S3T, -0.86
6. Clare S. --- 3Lz3T, -1.08
7. Hazel C. --- 3Lz3T, -1.08
8. Elsa C. --- 3Lz3T<, -1.18
9. Hannah H. --- 3F1Eu3S, -2.03

Top 6 Performance Components in the Free:
1. Clare Seo, 55.66
2. Ava Ziegler, 55.02
3. Josephine Lee, 54.63
4. Katie Shen, 53.94
5. Elyce Lin-Gracey, 51.29
6. Adele Zheng, 48.33

Highest Scoring 3-3s in the Short:
1. Mia K. --- 3Lz3T, +1.28
2. Katie S. --- 3T3T, +0.56
3. Katie K. --- 3T3T, +0.35
4. Elsa C. --- 3Lz3T, +0.20
5. Clare S. --- 3Lz3T, -0.20
6. Josephine L. --- 3T3T, -0.42
7. Ava Z. --- 3Lz3T<, -1.77

Top 6 Performance Components in the Short:
1. Clare Seo, 29.26
2. Ava Ziegler, 27.42
3. Josephine Lee, 27.38
4. Elyce Lin-Gracey, 26.88
5. Mia Kalin, 24.86
6. Adele Zheng, 23.76

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Most of the women skated really well in the Women's SP, certainly better than I was expecting based on practice reports. I have a feeling that Lindsay, who looked to have the most solid jumps and spins tonight, might be able to bump one of Mariah or Karen off the Olympic team.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Most of the women skated really well in the Women's SP, certainly better than I was expecting based on practice reports. I have a feeling that Lindsay, who looked to have the most solid jumps and spins tonight, might be able to bump one of Mariah or Karen off the Olympic team.
Heartbreaking for Amber though. Lindsay won't have PCS to bump Mariah or Karen off the Olympic team. Olympics team is pretty much all set:
Alysa, Karen and Mariah.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

R.D.

Record Breaker
Managed to catch some of tonight's action - no real surprises here (to me anyway), but good to see that Gracie Gold has returned. I think it will still be a long shot for her to bump one of the top 3 off, even if she somehow manages to nest her way up in there - not sure if the Selection Committee would be willing to give her the nod over someone like Chen or even Liu. But I guess you really never know...

As for the title, I think it's anyone in the top 3's game - depends on who delivers tomorrow. Bell did very well in tonight's event but she's still highly unreliable in the FS. If she has an off-night tomorrow, that might be the chance for Gold or another dark horse to slip in...the scores are quite close in the top 6...

prorussian fan

On the Ice
My thoughts of the night: Gracie and Karen were robbed. The locations should have been: 1. Karen, 2. Gracie, 3. Lindsay, 4. Isabeu, 5. Alysa, and 6. Mariah.

Mariah, overscored, the 3T and the 3Lz were under rotated.

Alysa, what a messy skating, there is no control in the arm movements, I really do not understand the boom with this skater and there is no improvement from the change of coach.

Sad for Karen, best skating of the night, she should be in first place.

About Gracie I already commented that it is outrageous that the Federation threw her under the truck after the skate that she delivered tonight.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
I'm just happy the women did well. I was not expecting so many women to go clean. Thanks to the women for proving me wrong. I don't necessarily agree with the placements and I thought Mariah was overscored in GOE, Alysa in PCS/ GOE considering her fall, and Karen's 3-3 should have been > not q ( Lindsay and Isabeau were correctly scored but since others were overscored it didn't seem fair) but the three leaders did well enough to show why they deserve to be on the team. Hope that continues on the LP.

Amei

Record Breaker
Alysa, what a messy skating, there is no control in the arm movements, I really do not understand the boom with this skater and there is no improvement from the change of coach.

She changed coaches about a month and a half ago, honestly what really were they supposed to have accomplished with her in that timeframe? In all likelihood the only benefit she will see (potentially) is better stamina to hopefully stop under-rotating her triple-triples in the FS because she's training more in Colorado which is at a higher elevation.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What most surprised me was Alysa not getting a bigger PCS score as the favorite, who did everything except the 3A pretty well. If she doesn't win, would the champ get to do the Olympic team event with Alysa? Does her being the only skater in group 2 even ensure her participation at all?

Last edited:

skatingiscool

On the Ice
She changed coaches about a month and a half ago, honestly what really were they supposed to have accomplished with her in that timeframe? In all likelihood the only benefit she will see (potentially) is better stamina to hopefully stop under-rotating her triple-triples in the FS because she's training more in Colorado which is at a higher elevation.
Anna and Wakaba all did 2A in the short @champ. Why Alysa goes for 3A in the short tonight? If Alysa is doing Lombardia layout (2A in short), she can have a runaway win tonight. Coach change is not an issue. The issue is the big risk associated with 3A. Not worth it.

readernick

Medalist
What most surprised me was Alysa not getting a bigger PCS score as the favorite, who did everything except the 3A pretty well. If she doesn't win, would the champ get to do the Olympic team event with Alysa?
I truly hope they don't split the women's event men and ice dance are so much deeper and the competitors all deserving of Olympic medals.