2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 88 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
As others have mentioned, Karen's results are always dependent on the technical panel. A "good" ( because I think strict means fair) technical panel like the one at ACI will always eat up Karen's jumps. Many of her jumps are clearly UR even in real time. A lenient panel like the one at Worlds is her friend. I guess my question is whether the domestic technical panel will call her jumps accurately or if they will ignore them ( her coach is a favorite in the federation) . If they call them, she likely won't be on the Olympic team unless everyone else has a terrible day ( which definitely could happen given US ladies), if they don't she will likely make the Olympic team. We will see how strict the technical panels on the GP are.. if the international panels consistently call her URs than I think the domestic panel will too.

readernick

Medalist
I just don't understand what Team Starr has been doing since 2018. Regarding jumping and also packaging.
As for Karen, the lutz is still too big to do a 3toe cleanly after it.
It's frustrating bc it's not that these women are untalented.
Starr is always one of the best packaged skaters. She looks wonderful in all her well chosen costumes. So, I disagree with you there. In terms of skating, I have to agree that she doesn't appear to be making any progress which makes me sad because I think she has a natural "it" factor.
Speaking of Karen, if she just underrotated her 3Lz+3T it wouldn't be such a big deal even ladies who land quads sometimes UR their 3-3s.. but Karen URs a lot.. It isn't just one of her 3-3s it is almost all of her combos and sometimes her solo jumps too

Last edited:

JessicaBranit

Spectator
Does anyone recognize that Karen has got the level 2 Step Sequence in her LP for two times ?I think there must be some mistakes in the choreography. I hope that Karen could stop choreographing for herself. The music of her LP sounds really strange.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone recognize that Karen has got the level 2 Step Sequence in her LP for two times ?I think there must be some mistakes in the choreography. I hope that Karen could stop choreographing for herself. The music of her LP sounds really strange.
I think that Karen choreographing for herself is actually one of the reasons that she is so well connected to her choreography and the music. It’s her choreography. So she knows it better than anyone else.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Neither of Karen's programs this season are self-choreographed. Drew Meekins did the short and Pasquale Camerlengo did the free.

I've actually really enjoyed her self-choreographed programs in the past, I think she's pretty good at it. I could definitely see her moving into choreography after she retires from competing.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don't understand what Team Starr has been doing since 2018. Regarding jumping and also packaging.
As for Karen, the lutz is still too big to do a 3toe cleanly after it.
It's frustrating bc it's not that these women are untalented.
It's not really a packaging problem with Starr - it's just that her skating has stagnated. All the pretty dresses in the world can't make up for talent that hasn't really gone anywhere. It's not just the jumps - the problem is that nothing has improved. The pandemic didn't help, but that can be said for most skaters.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alysa Liu appears to have no American competition this season. Maybe, Isabeau is her biggest threat. Although I never want to count out Bradie. I hope Bradie and Mariah are taking note that they just need to clean up their triples and an Olympic spot could be up for grabs.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
It's not really a packaging problem with Starr - it's just that her skating has stagnated. All the pretty dresses in the world can't make up for talent that hasn't really gone anywhere. It's not just the jumps - the problem is that nothing has improved. The pandemic didn't help, but that can be said for most skaters.
I feel also that she has stagnated, but even pre-pandemic. I feel that she picked her free skate music herself and didn't receive any pushback or even suggestions to improve it. Starr looks lovely on the ice except the lp dress is a complete mismatch with her skin tone. She's too pretty to be thrown in just anything with loads of sparkles. Starr would be a wonderful addition to the top ranks but I don't see it happening and I'm sad.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah re Starr I so root for her but her tech has not changed in several years and her PCS have not risen either. There are several juniors who can outskate her and in a year or so she will be a skating has-been which is sad on several counts. Karen has managed to secure three spots for US ladies twice so I sort of think unless she is mediocre this season (or worse) she should be on the Olympic team since it does not determine World spots. I think Alysa is a lock but the other spots are totally up for grabs. Bradie get better!!!!! Mariah keep making smart decisions. Amber untie those nerve knots.

Last edited:

JessicaBranit

Spectator
Neither of Karen's programs this season are self-choreographed. Drew Meekins did the short and Pasquale Camerlengo did the free.

I've actually really enjoyed her self-choreographed programs in the past, I think she's pretty good at it. I could definitely see her moving into choreography after she retires from competing.
She edited the music for herself. I think she involves with the choreography too. Level 2 step sequence happened last season in WTT. Her team should have paid attention to it but it happened again.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree with this. I really thought she'd be the next Debi Thomas when she first began to make waves but, she doesn't seem to have progressed. How old is Starr? Is there a chance that should could switch coaches like Alissa Czisny did late in her career.

lutzlover

On the Ice
Phattaratida Kaneshige's novice freeskate at the challenge skate was great! 7 triples (3 toe in combo called q) I love her, she exudes joy kinda like Alysa Liu. I first took notice of her at the Skate Milkwaukee event. I love Elyce Lin-Gracey too - she had the great short but unfortunately fell three times in the free. Still her quality helped her almost hold on to first place. Kaneshige won by fractions of a point overall, pulled up from 7th in the short to win. She will need to improve her PCS, but she is definitely one to watch in the future. They both are!
Phattaratida is very impressive - however, it seems like the plan is for her to skate for Thailand. Her mom said this in a comment on their YouTube channel. But plans change and this might not be set in stone

Kate Wang pleasantly surprised me this weekend. She was the next big thing two seasons ago and didn’t compete much last year. Her lutz loop combo surprised me, her artistry has improved, but she really needs to improve her spins.

Amei

Record Breaker
I agree with this. I really thought she'd be the next Debi Thomas when she first began to make waves but, she doesn't seem to have progressed. How old is Starr? Is there a chance that should could switch coaches like Alissa Czisny did late in her career.

Starr is 20

halulupu

Final Flight
Alysa Liu appears to have no American competition this season. Maybe, Isabeau is her biggest threat. Although I never want to count out Bradie. I hope Bradie and Mariah are taking note that they just need to clean up their triples and an Olympic spot could be up for grabs.
Than with clean triples they will be 7-10th at the olympics. Not very ambitious in my eyes

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Than with clean triples they will be 7-10th at the olympics. Not very ambitious in my eyes
But, with a potential Olympic Medal from the team event. I think the days for them being able to learn an ultra-c element is behind them. A top ten place finish in the singles event and potentially skating one of the team event programs, and earning an Olympic medal, is a good way to finish a career.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
How many other people are doing stuff ahead of them? There will be 3 Russians plus a potential Rika, and maybe someone else. 5th place is not that out of the question.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Level 2 step sequence happened last season in WTT. Her team should have paid attention to it but it happened again.
"Level 2 step sequence" has nothing to do with her choreography - it's obviously been choreographed to be a level 4. Her getting level 2 means she messed up the level requirements, during these individual skates.

halulupu

Final Flight
There are still the other european ladies, loona, olga, this new cyprus girl, the ex russian like gubanova, the koreans, the other Japanese, from 5-15
How many other people are doing stuff ahead of them? There will be 3 Russians plus a potential Rika, and maybe someone else. 5th place is not that out of the question.
There are still the other european ladies, loona, olga, this new cyprus girl, the ex russian like gubanova, the koreans, the other Japanese, from 5-15 it will be really crowded

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
There are still the other european ladies, loona, olga, this new cyprus girl, the ex russian like gubanova, the koreans, the other Japanese, from 5-15

There are still the other european ladies, loona, olga, this new cyprus girl, the ex russian like gubanova, the koreans, the other Japanese, from 5-15 it will be really crowded
So they have some competition, but they can still be up there.