2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Starr and Karen are competing in Canada this weekend. This will be a nice test for Starr. I feel like she gets lost in the shuffle of the top ladies and this could be a good opportunity for her.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
A pretty good group of Novice ladies for the "challenge" part of the Boston competition (on Fan zone). Elisa Gracey had beautiful, high easy jumps. I couldn't tell with the masks, but looks like her coach is Tiffany Chen. (?) Pasadena FSC

beepboop

On the Ice
Not the best outing for US women at day one of ACI. Karen in 5th after she singled the toe in her combo and stumbled on her 3Lo. Starr in 4th after a relatively clean skate. Not sure how I feel about Karen's program yet--IMO it takes a little too long to build for an SP? There are only ~3 points separating 1st and 5th so I'm sure she can come back tomorrow 🤞

Judges' scores available here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A pretty good group of Novice ladies for the "challenge" part of the Boston competition (on Fan zone). Elisa Gracey had beautiful, high easy jumps. I couldn't tell with the masks, but looks like her coach is Tiffany Chen. (?) Pasadena FSC

Thx for mentioning Elyse Elyce Lin-Gracey, whose Challenge Skate SP starts at approx. 23:55:

To my eyes, looks as if Amy Evidente is the coach who greets Elyse Elyce as she exits the ice (at approx. 26:55) and who sits with Elyse Elyce in the Kiss and Cry?

In skate order, Elyse Elyce is followed by Athena Huang -- coached by Shotaro Omori :), who was World Junior bronze medalist, part of the Team USA podium sweep in 2013 along with Josh Farris and Jason Brown.

ETA (on Sep 17):
My apologies for originally misspelling Elyce's first name.​

Fan Zone articles re Gabbie Izzo from Sep 16 (pegged to U.S. Classic) and re Josephine Lee from Sep 14 (pegged to U.S. Challenge Skate):

Question about the lower-placing ladies from 2021 Nationals- I was wondering if anyone knows the status of Hanna Harrell, Heidi Munger, and Emilia Murdock this season?

Milly Murdock competed at Skate San Francisco in August.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
i am a huge fan of Karen's short. it's too bad about the technical mistakes, but it is the first international of the season so i'm sure everyone is working out their nerves. give it some time and it's going to be a beauty.

but man that technical panel was HARSH...i haven't seen a first place score that low in an international field in years. they were not generous with PCS as usual either, which honestly i'm not too mad about. many of the skaters who get 9s these days should not be given them. but even what they gave here seemed low to me.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not the best outing for US women at day one of ACI. Karen in 5th after she singled the toe in her combo and stumbled on her 3Lo. Starr in 4th after a relatively clean skate. Not sure how I feel about Karen's program yet--IMO it takes a little too long to build for an SP? There are only ~3 points separating 1st and 5th so I'm sure she can come back tomorrow 🤞

Judges' scores available here.
I hope Karen can redeem herself in the free. There's a pack of skaters near the top in the US and after her 4th place finish at Worlds, I had her in the mix. Let's hope this was a fluke. I haven't seen Starr's program but, if she was clean, I think her score was a bit low when comparing what Karen did. Ok, I just had a look at Starr's SP to "At Last" It's a beautiful program and other than the step out on the back half of 3 toe 3toe combo, it was lovely. The posters on the site felt she was underscored but, I have yet to see Karen's SP.

After watching Karen's SP, I can see why the scores were close. Karen's Components score is big and it should be. She is a truly beautiful skater. She is fast, her spins are beautiful, and in spite of the errors, that is lovely program. I'm hoping she can fix those jumps errors in the Free.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope Karen can redeem herself in the free. There's a pack of skaters near the top in the US and after her 4th place finish at Worlds, I had her in the mix. Let's hope this was a fluke.
She will redeem herself. Just doing a 2T instead of a 1T, which she can do in her sleep, would have pulled her at least into 2nd. Both she and You are in great position to win.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I feel like Karen found a system that works for her during the competition season over the past couple of years. I’m not concerned yet, because she’s not a skater who can be in “peak” form throughout an entire season. The SP was beautiful, much better than all other Americans that we’ve seen, and I think it’s just a matter of getting into peak fitness, which I’m sure she has a plan for.

Agree the 2A deserves +5 easily. I like when she does 2A as the first jumping pass!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Phattaratida Kaneshige's novice freeskate at the challenge skate was great! 7 triples (3 toe in combo called q) I love her, she exudes joy kinda like Alysa Liu. I first took notice of her at the Skate Milkwaukee event. I love Elyce Lin-Gracey too - she had the great short but unfortunately fell three times in the free. Still her quality helped her almost hold on to first place. Kaneshige won by fractions of a point overall, pulled up from 7th in the short to win. She will need to improve her PCS, but she is definitely one to watch in the future. They both are!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Karen can redeem herself in the free. There's a pack of skaters near the top in the US and after her 4th place finish at Worlds, I had her in the mix. Let's hope this was a fluke. I haven't seen Starr's program but, if she was clean, I think her score was a bit low when comparing what Karen did. Ok, I just had a look at Starr's SP to "At Last" It's a beautiful program and other than the step out on the back half of 3 toe 3toe combo, it was lovely. The posters on the site felt she was underscored but, I have yet to see Karen's SP. ching Karen's

After watching Karen's SP, I can see why the scores were close. Karen's Components score is big and it should be. She is a truly beautiful skater. She is fast, her spins are beautiful, and in spite of the errors, that is lovely program. I'm hoping she can fix those jumps errors in the Free.
Karen seems to skate fair-to-middling until late in the season. I hope that trend continues, because this performance was not good.

katymay

Medalist
Phattaratida Kaneshige's novice freeskate at the challenge skate was great! 7 triples (3 toe in combo called q) I love her, she exudes joy kinda like Alysa Liu. I first took notice of her at the Skate Milkwaukee event. I love Elyce Lin-Gracey too - she had the great short but unfortunately fell three times in the free. Still her quality helped her almost hold on to first place. Kaneshige won by fractions of a point overall, pulled up from 7th in the short to win. She will need to improve her PCS, but she is definitely one to watch in the future. They both are!
I kinda love them at her age-so full of energy and enthusiasm. Novice ladies are fun.

halulupu

Final Flight
I feel like Karen found a system that works for her during the competition season over the past couple of years. I’m not concerned yet, because she’s not a skater who can be in “peak” form throughout an entire season. The SP was beautiful, much better than all other Americans that we’ve seen, and I think it’s just a matter of getting into peak fitness, which I’m sure she has a plan for.

Agree the 2A deserves +5 easily. I like when she does 2A as the first jumping pass!
It might work to get her last year tech peak at worlds back. 2a3t as hardest combination, yeah!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It might work to get her last year tech peak at worlds back. 2a3t as hardest combination, yeah!
The tech caller was quite serious this time or alternatively the tech caller during the worlds was very lenient towards Karen's UR. She always had them to hope that "the miracle" can happen. On the other hand, judging during the OG is usually quite forgiving. Hence, I see the point for her to be on the team. Jumps aside she is a beautiful skater who is a delight to watch as long as she does not fall.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Actually, her hardest combination last season was 3Lz+1Lo+3S, and at worlds was 3Lz+3T.

Anyway, I didn't care for her new music cuts in the LP. She made some positive changes in the step sequence, that I hope she'll keep. But the music cuts after 2A+1Lo+3S need further consideration, and the ending is very confusing, very disruptive to the tone of the rest of the program.