2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't want to jinx Gabbie Izzo, but for me, she already is a frontrunner for Skate America -- perhaps even "the" frontrunner.

I'm not saying that it's a done deal, but what other senior woman from the ISP list (who is not a JGP competitor/hopeful this season) has had a better competition in the new season than Gabbie at Skate Detroit?
Almost all the senior women on the ISP list have competed at least one program in the new season.
AFAIK, the only exceptions are Audrey (see below), Heidi Munger, and Milly Murdock.

Top five women at 2021 Nats already have two GPs apiece. Thorngren, who was sixth, is returning to JGP series.
Audrey (who I like a lot) was seventh, and if I am not mistaken, it still is not known whether Audrey's aspirations this year are for JGP [like Ilia Malinin] or for GP? (Unless I have missed something that Audrey has said?)
Gabbie was eighth at Nats.

Anyway, I am excited that Gabbie is leading the pack (of Skate America hopefuls) at the moment and that Sierra had a big score in Skate Detroit FS.

Adding assignments for second JGP in Courchevel to the thread:

- Josephine Lee
- Isabeau Levito

Last edited:

spicymacaron

On the Ice
SENIOR WOMEN FS/OVERALL (top 5 summer 2021 scores)
Gabriella Izzo 125/197
Sierra Venetta 133/186
Lindsay Thorngren 123/184
Isabeau Levito 116/183
Paige Rydberg 107/165
Why is Isabeau considered a senior? I thought she isn't old enough. Is it some kind of domestic rule that I'm missing?

gkelly

Record Breaker
Why is Isabeau considered a senior? I thought she isn't old enough. Is it some kind of domestic rule that I'm missing?
Especially when talking about skaters in both international and domestic contexts, it doesn't make much sense to say that a skater "is" a senior or a junior. Skaters can compete at both levels during the same season in different contexts, within the applicable rules.

In general, for US skaters, the applicable principles are that levels in US qualifying competitions are defined by test level, whereas ISU definitions of competitive levels are defined by age, with some overlaps.

So sometimes a skater is required to compete at different levels nationally vs. internationally based on which tests she has passed vs. when she was born.

But there are overlaps in the international age limits so 15- to 18-year-olds can compete internationally as either junior or senior; they just can't compete in both the junior and senior Grand Prix.

And there are also some overlaps or exceptions in some of the US rules especially in recent years, and more flexibility in nonqualifying vs. qualifying competitions, vs. selection competitions for junior internationals when USFS chooses to hold them.

There can also be overlaps or discrepancies for novice vs. junior.

spicymacaron

On the Ice
Especially when talking about skaters in both international and domestic contexts, it doesn't make much sense to say that a skater "is" a senior or a junior. Skaters can compete at both levels during the same season in different contexts, within the applicable rules.

In general, for US skaters, the applicable principles are that levels in US qualifying competitions are defined by test level, whereas ISU definitions of competitive levels are defined by age, with some overlaps.

So sometimes a skater is required to compete at different levels nationally vs. internationally based on which tests she has passed vs. when she was born.

But there are overlaps in the international age limits so 15- to 18-year-olds can compete internationally as either junior or senior; they just can't compete in both the junior and senior Grand Prix.

And there are also some overlaps or exceptions in some of the US rules especially in recent years, and more flexibility in nonqualifying vs. qualifying competitions, vs. selection competitions for junior internationals when USFS chooses to hold them.

There can also be overlaps or discrepancies for novice vs. junior.
Thanks!
That makes a lot of sense. All I knew was that Isabeau is not old enough to be a senior internationally this year. I can see why a lot of domestic competitions use level instead of age. I think Korea, and Russia sometimes also does that.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
SENIOR WOMEN FS/OVERALL (top 5 summer 2021 scores)
Gabriella Izzo 125/197
Sierra Venetta 133/186
Lindsay Thorngren 123/184
Isabeau Levito 116/183
Paige Rydberg 107/165

It also is worth noting that scores specifically from Senior-level competition are on this list from haribobo.

Thorngren's listed scores are from 2021 Colonial Open, where she competed in the Senior category.
Levito's listed scores are from 2021 Denver Invitational, where she competed in the Senior category.

[Depending on the particular 2021-22 early-season domestic event, Thorngren and Levito (per their own choices) sometimes have competed at the Junior level and at other times have competed at the Senior level.
For example: Levito competed in the Junior Cup category at 2021 Skate Milwaukee, and her scores there were 70.10 SP + 129.02 FS = 199.12 overall. (She also competed in the Junior category at 2021 Broadmoor Open, as another example of exceeding her Denver Invitational scores.)

But again, this list from haribobo is specifically for Senior-level scores, so it intentionally does not include Levito's higher Junior-level scores.]
[ETA:
A separate running list specifically for Junior-level scores has been in previous posts from haribobo.]​

... Maybe if both keep this up, they could be running for the SA TBD spot. Will either be at that so called do-or-die all important Cranberry event ?

Is there reason to believe that Cranberry is "do-or-die all important" for filling the TBA spot for Skate America??
Maybe I have forgotten something?

I know that Sylvia has said on FSU that she unofficially has heard that Cranberry Cup will be used as a basis for selecting which woman to send to Nebelhorn -- but that of course is a separate question from Skate America.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Video, we need video!!
Maybe if both keep this up, they could be running for the SA TBD spot. Will either be at that so called do-or-die all important Cranberry event ?
We have no official info on Cranberry other than that it is full and no late entries will be permitted. TSL has said Bradie, Gracie and Alysa are entered. I’m sure there are other women entered - there wouldn’t just be 3. No idea who though.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
We have no official info on Cranberry other than that it is full and no late entries will be permitted. TSL has said Bradie, Gracie and Alysa are entered. I’m sure there are other women entered - there wouldn’t just be 3. No idea who though.

I thought Cranberry would decide who's going to Nebelhorn? So it looks like Alysa Liu for Nebelhorn, which I'm happy about. But where are Mariah and Amber? Don't they want to come right out of the gate and start making a BOW leading up to Nationals?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is no longer competitive, minimally at the domestic level and not at all internationally. It would not make sense for USFS to use their limited marketing resources to promote her. In her prime, her strength was as a technician. Personally she is not on my list of skaters who are strongly artistic or evoke an emotional response (such as Mao’s 2014 Olympic FS). I find dismissing younger skaters’ hard earned 3A and quads because that’s not what you personally value in figure skating - a bit rude. I also don’t see any evidence that Gracie attracts people or audiences more than the current competitive skaters and National medalists. If an event like Sun Valley could easily sell out a show with Gracie, why wouldn’t they invite her? Or Stars on Ice. Yet they haven’t done so for years.

I’ve never seen a wall to wall SRO crowd at Regionals for any other skater; but I’ve only lately had the ability to watch Regionals very lately. Perhaps it is common. I also saw her holding the audience in Greensboro in the palm of her hand. I’m driving 2 days to see her at Cranberry Cup, so in this case I hope Dave Lease has correct info.

I would never want to be dismissive of anyone’s hard work or talent and I’m not sure that’s a fair thing to say. Lots of people don’t like ice dance or pairs or whatever. I don’t think they’re being dismissive of the skaters. It’s just not what they prefer. Women’s skating happens to be my least favorite discipline even though it is the big draw for most people. That doesn’t mean I hate the skaters. I wish all of them the best in their endeavors.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Cranberry would decide who's going to Nebelhorn? So it looks like Alysa Liu for Nebelhorn, which I'm happy about. But where are Mariah and Amber? Don't they want to come right out of the gate and start making a BOW leading up to Nationals?
For all we know they’re entered. We should know in a few days.

katymay

Medalist
I think the USFSA would be crazy to send anyone except Alysa Liu. And she doesn't even need a 3A nor a quad.

As far as Gracie-of course she pulled an audience in, and there was great interest in her progress. I don't think though that much level of interest still exists.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the USFSA would be crazy to send anyone except Alysa Liu. And she doesn't even need a 3A nor a quad.
I understood the OP not to be saying USFSA should send someone other than Alysa to Nebelhorn, but that they thought Mariah and Amber should be going to summer comps. But I could be wrong.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm sad to see that Gracie will not be attending Glacier Falls. I really think she needs to be out there competing as often as possible. Seeing clips of her landing jumps in practice and then having such poor showings at events has me so worried about her. Tuk had the same problem and before she won big, she went to like, 15 events in one season.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sad to see that Gracie will not be attending Glacier Falls. I really think she needs to be out there competing as often as possible. Seeing clips of her landing jumps in practice and then having such poor showings at events has me so worried about her. Tuk had the same problem and before she won big, she went to like, 15 events.
TSL says she will be at Cranberry. In this case I hope they are correct.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm sad to see that Gracie will not be attending Glacier Falls. I really think she needs to be out there competing as often as possible. Seeing clips of her landing jumps in practice and then having such poor showings at events has me so worried about her.
I do think Gracie would benefit from more competitive showings, but my sense is that Gracie really doesn't enjoy competing, despite what she might say. Her scores and results have remained stagnant the last couple of years, so whatever improvements she's making in practice aren't translating to competition. Hopefully she'll have more opportunities in the future to perform in shows, where there will be no pressure on her to complete difficult elements.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I'm sad to see that Gracie will not be attending Glacier Falls. I really think she needs to be out there competing as often as possible. Seeing clips of her landing jumps in practice and then having such poor showings at events has me so worried about her. Tuk had the same problem and before she won big, she went to like, 15 events.
Gracie is signed up for Philadelphia Summer Champs, along with Ting Cui, Lindsay Thorngren, Isabeau Levito, and Emily Zhang.