2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker

Alysa Liu - Peggy Fleming
oh wow. the way she moves has completely changed and improved since nationals, and not just her arms and upper body- the skating skills, speed and transitions, the efficiency with which her blades use the ice is completely different. she has been doing the right work with the right people.

AlysaLiuStan

#Liunatic
On the Ice
Country
Italy
Alysa is extremely unpopular in China ( where she has a very unflattering nickname on Chinese skating social media) because she dared to voice her opinion about the Uyghur cultural genocide. Additionally, her father is a Chinese dissident. I wouldn't look for support in China.
I wouldn't consider some internet trolls as representative of a potential Chinese audience but I see where you're coming from.

frida80

Record Breaker
Alysa is extremely unpopular in China ( where she has a very unflattering nickname on Chinese skating social media) because she dared to voice her opinion about the Uyghur cultural genocide. Additionally, her father is a Chinese dissident. I wouldn't look for support in China.

I figured this would be the case. Alysa’s background makes the usual heritage backing dubious. However, there is one thing that could make this very different for her. And that’s this is the Olympics.

Large sporting events that represent national pride can change a population’s opinion about an unpopular person pretty fast. For example, in that UK there are a number of football (Soccer) players that tend to receive negative press due to xenophobia and racism. However, when they were led England to their first appearance in in the Euro cup Final in decades, public opinion changed over night. Never underestimate the power of nationalism in sports. It’s a hysteria that makes people forget everything. Also remember these detractors are figure skating fans. Olympic viewers are more casual and know far less details about athletes.

However, it is troubling to hear how people speak about a child. I wish people could exercise more restraint.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
For example, in that UK there are a number of football (Soccer) players that tend to receive negative press due to xenophobia and racism. However, when they were led England to their first appearance in in the Euro cup Final in decades, public opinion changed over night.
However, when England lost the Euro final, a lot of people made racist and derogatory comments about many of those same players.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Even without the political baggage Alysa is hapa and skating to Western classical music. Contrast that with someone like Karen who's skating to Butterfly Lovers. If Karen goes to the Olympics I could see more local support for her than Alysa.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Dear all.
Some posts in this thread were moved to the 'who can defeat the Russian Women 2021-2022' thread because they were no longer concerned with US Women, but with the composition of the Russian (Olympic) Women's team. You can look them up there if you wish. Please try to keep the US athletes as the central focus in this thread.

LutzDance

On the Ice
From what I could observe on Chinese social media, most skating fans acknowledge Alysa's improvement this season and recognize her program as of Peggy Fleming Trophy well-crafted, even though some could not resist making a few snide (or even derogatory) remarks about her background or technique. I could see her not getting as favorable Chinese media coverage as Karen, Nathan, or Vincent heading into the Olympics, but Chinese media don't talk much about American athletes (or figure skating to start with) that I don't see it making a significant difference. I agree that while Olympic audience might not be aware of the political baggage, they are likely to favor a more ostensibly Chinese program (such as Butterfly Lover or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) over a program using Western classical music.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
oh wow. the way she moves has completely changed and improved since nationals, and not just her arms and upper body- the skating skills, speed and transitions, the efficiency with which her blades use the ice is completely different. she has been doing the right work with the right people.
Right people=Jeremy Abbott.

Dogo

On the Ice
I'm rooting for the junior trio of Lindsay, Clare, and Mia to get a good competitive international season. I have the feeling that Isabeau will be generally treated better by USFS going forward (that is, until/if she stops jumping triples bc of growth spurts). So I hope there is enough attention given to the other juniors. While it may be early to compare this to the Russian junior revolution, I still love how they are pushing themselves in their own way.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm rooting for the junior trio of Lindsay, Clare, and Mia to get a good competitive international season. I have the feeling that Isabeau will be generally treated better by USFS going forward (that is, until/if she stops jumping triples bc of growth spurts). So I hope there is enough attention given to the other juniors. While it may be early to compare this to the Russian junior revolution, I still love how they are pushing themselves in their own way.
I'm not sure why she is a favorite of the USFS since she has some of the weakest skating skills and speed among the Junior ladies and some wonky jump technique that's not going to survive a growth spurt unless she makes some serious improvement in her skating.