2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 192 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Don't agree with this. Fans and viewers remember the winners. Even here on GS, an English language forum, The Russian ladies" thread has over 500k views, while the US ladies' thread is much less at 300k + views. The disagreements over individual slaters are more intense, more passionate, than discussions on this thread.

I don’t think popularity of the Russian ladies thread proves that “fans and viewers remember the winners.” It does prove that some people are extremely interested in the Russian women, but most of the activity in there is driven by a relatively small number of repeat posters, several of whom appear to be Russian.

Lzbee

Final Flight
I don’t think popularity of the Russian ladies thread proves that “fans and viewers remember the winners.” It does prove that some people are extremely interested in the Russian women, but most of the activity in there is driven by a relatively small number of repeat posters, several of whom appear to be Russian.
Figure skating is thriving in Russia and Japan though. You've got to remember that golden skate is an English forum so the majority of fans from those countries probably aren't here.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Figure skating is thriving in Russia and Japan though. You've got to remember that golden skate is an English forum so the majority of fans from those countries probably aren't here.

I don’t disagree, but the poster I responded to held up the popularity of the Russian ladies thread on an English speaking forum as proof that “fans and viewers” remember winners. He made a blanket statement not limited to Russian and Japanese fans that in my view doesn’t support his point.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Can I just say how much I miss Bradie? I never enjoyed her princess programs but this SP was amazing and I love her transitions into and out of the jumps. The jumps feel like something to enhance the program rather than being the main event. She made it look so easy and no other American woman is currently able to do that. In fact, not many skaters in general can do that and I honestly feel she wasn't overscored at all here.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree. Plus, the Russian Ladies currently represent the TOP skaters in our Sport. It was the same way when Michelle and Tara were having their time in the sun.

b-man

Final Flight
You are talking about the 5,000 posts, yes that is a small number of repeat posters. I am talking about the 500,000+ views. That is NOT a small number. There is a lot of excitement and passion for the Russian ladies that is currently missing in Japan, the US and Canada, normally skating powerhouses. The Russian ladies are not only are pushing the envelope with their technical prowess, they are winning, and they are creating buzz and excitement. I'll give an example. I was at Skate America in Vegas. Trusova was slightly injured and missed a practice. I guess it was when the skaters came on the ice for the short that it happened. No Trusova. Two minutes later, screaming erupts in the arena, It was for Trusova, who had entered the arena. She was a highlight a lot of fans had come for. And that was in the US. Another example, a couple years ago I watched a stream of junior worlds where Trusova displayed a number of quads. Many on here just went wow! I remember poster Mathman made some comments of how this is a whole different type of competition, with the Russian ladies and their quads.

When all is said and done, in ten years, outside the US, skating fans will remember Trusova, Anna and Alena. I am a fan of Bradie and Alysa, but they may not be remembered.

skatefan17

On the Ice
Can I just say how much I miss Bradie? I never enjoyed her princess programs but this SP was amazing and I love her transitions into and out of the jumps. The jumps feel like something to enhance the program rather than being the main event. She made it look so easy and no other American woman is currently able to do that. In fact, not many skaters in general can do that and I honestly feel she wasn't overscored at all here.

I miss Bradie too. Such a steely, resolved competitor. 😭 It has been a bit... boring without her on the scene. Praying for a recovery for her!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You are talking about the 5,000 posts, yes that is a small number of repeat posters. I am talking about the 500,000+ views. That is NOT a small number. There is a lot of excitement and passion for the Russian ladies that is currently missing in Japan, the US and Canada, normally skating powerhouses. The Russian ladies are not only are pushing the envelope with their technical prowess, they are winning, and they are creating buzz and excitement. I'll give an example. I was at Skate America in Vegas. Trusova was slightly injured and missed a practice. I guess it was when the skaters came on the ice for the short that it happened. No Trusova. Two minutes later, screaming erupts in the arena, It was for Trusova, who had entered the arena. She was a highlight a lot of fans had come for. And that was in the US. Another example, a couple years ago I watched a stream of junior worlds where Trusova displayed a number of quads. Many on here just went wow! I remember poster Mathman made some comments of how this is a whole different type of competition, with the Russian ladies and their quads.

When all is said and done, in ten years, outside the US, skating fans will remember Trusova, Anna and Alena. I am a fan of Bradie and Alysa, but they may not be remembered.

Well, I appreciate your perspective, but since it’s kind off topic here, maybe you kind start a new thread for it? I’m sure it will generate a lively discussion. 😊

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Tom Z, because so many of his skaters wind up with injuries, some career ending (Mirai and her hip dysplasia, Jonathan Farris).

But to be clear: Tom Z had nothing to do with the career-ending injury of Joshua Farris.
By then, Josh already had stopped working with Tom Z years earlier.

As for Mirai, I will note that it was she herself who wanted to go all out to qualify for 2018 Olympics and to compete triple axel successfully.
Tom Z did not put those goals into her head.

So who are the definite participants in nationals this year? Aren't they all listed already instead of having to calculate it again every time?

It is standard practice for USFS to publish an official list, if that is what you have in mind.

I expect that USFS will make its official list available before long. :)

... i hope some of the recently retired elites will transition to coaching seriously full time. i know Gracie and Ashley have/are coaching part time (same with Adam) but their expertise and experience would be invaluable as a full time coach. personally i think Gracie would be a wonderful, wonderful coach after all the highs and lows she's experienced.

i also think Mirai would be great. ...

Mirai already is coaching -- in the same way that Gracie and Ashley are.

... There are many good coaches in the world, and more than one or two good jump coaches, if that is what a skater is looking for. Sometimes I feel sorry for them, when Raf and Brian get all the attention. ;)

I think that is an issue for USFS. Why do people only think of one or two successful coaches? Why don't we know about other coaches and what they do and where they specialize. A successful student is great, but no successful skater is the result only of a coach.

So I was just expressing general frustrations. :biggrin:

Maybe I am misunderstanding you ... but I think you are expressing an opinion that it is a public-relations issue for USFS that Raf and Brian are well-known to U.S. fans but other good coaches are not well-known to U.S. fans?

In any case, my opinion is that it does not bother me that USFS does not go out of its way (as far as I recall) to increase fan awareness of any coaches.
I think the vast majority of fan/media interest in Raf and Brian originates from those groups -- as opposed to stemming from promotional efforts by USFS.
I think it makes sense for USFS to focus its promotional efforts on skaters.
(Lest anyone wonder: For me, the PSA/USFS EDI awards are mostly about peer recognition [PSA members recognizing excellence among their own] and not about promotion to fans.)

Some U.S. coaches are active on social media and thus make their work more "visible" to fans who are interested. For example, I enjoy following Olga Ganicheva/Alexey Letov's Instagram account.
OTOH, some U.S. coaches do not participate in social media, and that's fine too.

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Actually, Christy Krall is an amazing technician responsible for teaching beautiful quads to skaters like Patrick Chan. The issue with most of her skaters has always been that even though they have great technique, they lack consistency. This may not matter for Alysa though. Alysa is a natural competitor. So, this coaching change might be a good one. I just don't think that it's wise to change coaches when the Olympic games are so close.
That is what I have heard about Christy. One of the things that Alysa has along with her beautiful skating is her consistency. Not necessarily her rotation, but her landing consistency in general. Of course, it may not be the best decision to go to Christy so close to the Olympics, but I believe that Christy may be able to really help out.

mrrice

Record Breaker

This is true for skaters from every era. When Maria won her title, it seemed like there were VERY few US Fans that supported her. I can promise that outside of devoted fans, people don't really remember skaters who don't win big events. Alina Zagitova shined bright and has already been passed by the new Russian Ladies coming up from a technical standpoint. None of my non skating friends have any idea who she is because most people don't watch skating other than every 4 years at the Olympics.

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice
Perhaps this will come back to bite me if Mariah messes up the free program tomorrow, but Mariah certainly seems to be the most consistent senior lady outside of Alysa and Lindsay. Her tech content isn't there, as the triple-triple seems to be totally MIA (the double toe on the flip looked purposeful today), but Mariah doesn't struggle with underrotations on her standard triples the way that Karen does. Furthermore, she has a history of more consistency, especially compared to Amber. I think it's absolutely the right choice for her ditch the triple-triple, at least for Rostelecom, when she is still being rewarded in PCS and GOE, and she's a skater that can get her levels on step sequences and spins.

To get into Group 3 after her performance at IdF through median scores, Mariah will need to score at least a 126.72, which is totally doable, considering she scored a 130 at IdF. She will have another chance at Golden Spin too.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ya'll...I can't believe Mariah is 3rd after the SP! You just never know how the chips will fall.
And since her FS is good and she is comfortable with it (and should be after several years) she has a good shot at top five which would equal the best of how US women have done this GP series. Is it too much to ask for a medal? Well yes but who would have thought third place in the SP? So...