2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

Joekaz

On the Ice
Kaori 😭; She is out of the podium at Skate America. She missed out due to FCCoSp2V. She lost two points at least for this spin. Also, her 2F 3T from the Short Program…..But, had she nailed that final spin in the free skate, she would have been a Silver Medalist. Kaori just keeps missing. But, I love her personality and this skate shows and enhances why JSF should select her as one of the the three ladies to be sent to Olympics for Japan.
They will go with top 3 finishers at Nats. Kaori is very consistent with her jumps, so there is no reason she won't make it, unless she has an uncharacteristicly bad skate. But, as her 4th place finish here shows, without a 3A or quad, her ability and accomplishments are not high enough to warrant being put over one of the other top girls if she finishes lower than 3rd at Nats.

Lzbee

Final Flight
They will go with top 3 finishers at Nats. Kaori is very consistent with her jumps, so there is no reason she won't make it, unless she has an uncharacteristicly bad skate. But, as her 4th place finish here shows, without a 3A or quad, her ability and accomplishments are not high enough to warrant being put over one of the other top girls if she finishes lower than 3rd at Nats.
Kaori would have gotten silver if she'd done a 3F in the SP or gotten a level 4 on that last spin. So international judges at least see her as equal to Daria at the moment - although Daria's silver might boost her reputation for future competitions.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Kaori would have gotten silver if she'd done a 3F in the SP or gotten a level 4 on that last spin. So international judges at least see her as equal to Daria at the moment - although Daria's silver might boost her reputation for future competitions.
I agree. And she would still have been 15 pts behind the winner, who was injured. While very good, it does not warrant special consideration at Nats.

Last edited:

Leocadia

Rinkside
Who designs Sakamoto costumes? I think her sp costume is last year's costume in a different color? But it's still a nice costume.
Astraee Couture designs her costumes. I think this year’s sp costume is different than last year’s, though they are quite similar.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think Higuchi is aiming for a clean skate and a higher starting position for the free skate.
I think that is a good possibility. However, that strategy would indicate a lack of confidence in the 3A,which would be problematic for her Olympic chances this season,if that is the case.

readernick

Medalist
Country
Taiwan
Does anyone know why Higuchi isn't doing the 3A in her SP too. I don't think this is the season to play it safe.
Yes, but Wakaba has never landed a 3A in international competition before...I think it is wise to land it at least once in the LP before adding it to the FS. Hopefully, if successful in the FS, she will add it next time.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Yes, but Wakaba has never landed a 3A in international competition before...I think it is wise to land it at least once in the LP before adding it to the FS. Hopefully, if successful in the FS, she will add it next time.
In a fair situation I might agree here. But Wakaba's situation with JSF isn't fair IMO. She needs to grab the spot this year. I can see the point that she needs to be clean as possible to build PCS over the season and hope she lands her 3As at Nats. But I think the more she does her 3A in competition, the more likely to land it there. I doubt JSF will give her decent PCS at Nats no matter what she does anyway. She evidently has never fit their view of what a skater should be.

macy

Record Breaker
Wakaba was so underscored. That skate should have been well above 70.

Honestly I haven't been this irritated and annoyed with judging in a *very* long time. I dont know what they were watching last night but it wasn't the same thing I was. And that goes for about 4 other skaters too.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Wakaba was so underscored. That skate should have been well above 70.

Honestly I haven't been this irritated and annoyed with judging in a *very* long time. I dont know what they were watching last night but it wasn't the same thing I was. And that goes for about 4 other skaters too.
I was in perpetual irritation since Mao scored below 70 PCS for her Sochi Free Skate. Then I realized that artificially holding down some skaters has happened since before I was born (Midori Ito being the most egregious case) so now I watch any event assuming my favorite skater will get 50 PCS and anything else is a nice surprise. Based on Wakaba’s comments about her SP scores unfortunately it seems she has the same mindset

Dreamer57

Medalist
I agree with this and Wakaba's strategy. We saw Mana attempt 3A in the same event and it didn't work out for her this time, although we know she can land it. Wakaba needs several clean skates, preferably without popped jumps, to build her momentum.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Some information from Japanese local competition (cf. qualification for Nationals)

After the 1st part of the sectional qualification, the following Sr. women will advance to National:

Rinka Watanabe (also gets to Winter Universiade), Yuna Aoki, Akira Matsubara, Tomoe Kawabata, and...Marin Honda.

Yes, only 5 will advance (along with Wakaba as the exempt skater, Satoko the seed skater).

For the side story about Marin made it to the National, she said in the post-interview that she got a chance to practice with Mao Asada after the regional competition (probably through her current coach: Marin now trains with Sato coach). Marin said Mao gave her a lot of encouragement, by telling her that a lot of ppl still want to see Marin's skating.

Country
Israel
Some information from Japanese local competition (cf. qualification for Nationals)

After the 1st part of the sectional qualification, the following Sr. women will advance to National:

Rinka Watanabe (also gets to Winter Universiade), Yuna Aoki, Akira Matsubara, Tomoe Kawabata, and...Marin Honda.

Yes, only 5 will advance (along with Wakaba as the exempt skater, Satoko the seed skater).

For the side story about Marin made it to the National, she said in the post-interview that she got a chance to practice with Mao Asada after the regional competition (probably through her current coach: Marin now trains with Sato coach). Marin said Mao gave her a lot of encouragement, by telling her that a lot of ppl still want to see Marin's skating.
That's so wholesome 🥺

ana

On the Ice
Happy for Marin Honda.
When we may see her skating this season before Nationals?