2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

mikeko666

Final Flight
On another note:
According to this: https://twitter.com/himarasukaru/status/1472385966338088960?s=20

I read about Yuna Shiraiwa's coach change, but wasn't sure who's her current coach now. Here it confirms that Yuna is training with Takeshi Honda. So Coach Honda is currently working with: Satoko and Yuna (and sometimes Marin when she returns to Kansai to train.)

I also got to read that Rika might be back to Japan to train already, due to the quarantine requirement. But I didn't find the source so it's yet to be confirmed.
According to a newspaper article (of the Sports Hochi?) sited by this tweet, JSF confirmed that Rika is indeed back in Japan.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
According to a newspaper article (of the Sports Hochi?) sited by this tweet, JSF confirmed that Rika is indeed back in Japan.
Yay! Good to hear! She is the current Senior skater with the technical ability to even podium at the Olympics. Her 3As and 4S at Nationals really impressed me last year. I’m hoping that she skates with all the triples up to 3Lz, by the time Nationals comes about this year.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
does this mean she's out of the running for the olympics? so sad.
I think so. She would have to be a top 3 finisher at Worlds to be considered for the olympic team as an exempted skater (JSF rules).
I'm sad for her especially after having watched the video of her long term plan in preparing for these Olympics. Get well soon, Rika!

mikeko666

Final Flight
Weird definition of “fair.” I assume you mean to the other Japanese ladies because it’s certainly not “fair” to Rika, who has been the top Japanese lady all quad.
She was behind Kaori at both international competitions last season, and has proven nothing this season.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
She was behind Kaori at both international competitions last season, and has proven nothing this season.
At World Team Trophy Rika was already injured and pushing herself to compete, which I very much think was a terrible mistake but is not particularly indicative of her real abilities. I’m less sure what the situation was at Worlds, though she was in second place after the SP.

Plenty of athletes in many countries have debuted at nationals or later who were injured early in the season and gone on to do well. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be “fair” if Rika were well enough to place top three at nationals to send her. She isn’t, so it doesn’t really matter, but I’m just surprised anyone feels like it’s okay to openly go “good, glad she’s still injured.”

mikeko666

Final Flight
At World Team Trophy Rika was already injured and pushing herself to compete, which I very much think was a terrible mistake but is not particularly indicative of her real abilities. I’m less sure what the situation was at Worlds, though she was in second place after the SP.

Plenty of athletes in many countries have debuted at nationals or later who were injured early in the season and gone on to do well. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be “fair” if Rika were well enough to place top three at nationals to send her. She isn’t, so it doesn’t really matter, but I’m just surprised anyone feels like it’s okay to openly go “good, glad she’s still injured.”
Rika isn't the only skater who has been working hard aiming for the Olympics.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m going to be upset with whatever the result is at Nationals. Rooting for Kaori and Mai the most. But, I think Wakaba is now my favourite Japanese Lady. But, then, there is Satoko and Mana and Rino. So, I’m going to be happy for the three that make it to the Olympics, but, will be sad for the ones that don’t make it.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Sadly with this I don't see any japanese lady making the podium at the olympics (not that I actually care) Rika was the best shot in her best form, I hope she recovers soon, I miss her so much but health is always first, this nationals won't feel the same without Rika, for now I just enjoy watching japanese ladies skating without caring about results, they will be always my favorite no matter what

readernick

Medalist
I'm so sad for Rika. This season is just terrible. All my favorite women skaters are injured. Rika must be finding it difficult to cope with this, the Olympics has been her dream since she was a little girl. I hope she stays positive and focuses on the future.
I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be “fair” if Rika were well enough to place top three at nationals to send her. She isn’t, so it doesn’t really matter, but I’m just surprised anyone feels like it’s okay to openly go “good, glad she’s still injured.”
It is shocking that some people think that it is "fair" that by far the highest consistently scoring Japanese women this quad is out of Nationals because she "dared" to get injured last year. Celebrating injury really is a new low.

Last edited:

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
According to a new news article, there’s a “1% chance” that Rika might compete and there’s a “slight chance” she might go to the official practice.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
its only fair that she's out, she hasn't competed all year and she's been an inconsistent competitor this cycle
Why would that matter? She's qualified for Nationals, just like Hanyu. She has every right to compete with everyone else that qualified.

According to a new news article, there’s a “1% chance” that Rika might compete and there’s a “slight chance” she might go to the official practice.
This is a bad idea, and I hope that someone talks her down from the ledge. This isn't a situation like Hanyu four years ago, who had already accomplished everything in the sport and could afford to go out in a blaze of glory. Rika's best years are still ahead of her, and it's simply too early in her career to jeopardize all that, especially when there remains a non-zero chance that these Olympics also get delayed or cancelled.

Last edited:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I know the Olympics was her big dream but at this point I think it's over and although my heart breaks for her, she can get out of this and flourish.... But only if she heals.

She could medal at GPs next year, make GPF, gold at nationals, gold at 4CCC, medal at Worlds next season.

There is a whole other world of success besides the Olympics.

Hang in there and just heal Rika.

Amei

Record Breaker
Why would that matter? She's qualified for Nationals, just like Hanyu. She has every right to compete with everyone else that qualified.

I was speaking to the Olympics, she's not competed all year, and to send her without going to a single competition it would be unfair to the other Japanese ladies and if she is still injured as it sounds then its roulette to send her to the Olympics.