2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This is a bad idea, and I hope that someone talks her down from the ledge.
I'm sort of mixed on this. While I don't want an athlete to compete injured, these skaters put their bodies through years of punishment primarily for the opportunity to skate at the Olympics. I can understand that if she feels like she can do most of her triples and possibly finish on the podium, it might well be worth a shot.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Ths
That is primarily due to injury. When healthy, Kihira is far better than Sakamoto, despite the JSF doing everything they can to prop Kaori up.
I bet the judges would be very happy to give Rike higher marks if she could be a little more consistent.
Was she already injured at Worlds? Why didn't she skip WTT then? Why did she participated in all the ice shows last summer?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I was speaking to the Olympics, she's not competed all year, and to send her without going to a single competition it would be unfair to the other Japanese ladies and if she is still injured as it sounds then its roulette to send her to the Olympics.
The only proper way to determine "fairness" is not by your designation, but by following the pre-established rules for consideration.

If she were sent to the Olympics without participating at Nationals, that would indeed be unfair, since she would be ineligible for consideration to be selected (Wakaba would be a different story, since she is a former world championship medalist, and would be eligible for consideration)

Is she wins Nationals, her selection would be fair. That's the single most important criteria!

If she doesn't win but medals at Nationals, her selection would still be fair. A podium finish at Nationals is also a big consideration.

If she shows up at Nationals, doesn't do anything but single jumps, and fails to qualify for the free, then her selection would...still be fair. Her world ranking, built up through years of competition, earns her a right to be considered. There may be quite a few people that don't like that, but by the rules, she has earned such consideration, so long as she fulfills her obligation to compete at Nationals.

So, as long as she steps on the ice and competes at Nationals, her selection would be fair, and I doubt that a single competitor would disagree with that.

Joekaz

On the Ice
The only proper way to determine "fairness" is not by your designation, but by following the pre-established rules for consideration.

If she were sent to the Olympics without participating at Nationals, that would indeed be unfair, since she would be ineligible for consideration to be selected (Wakaba would be a different story, since she is a former world championship medalist, and would be eligible for consideration)

Is she wins Nationals, her selection would be fair. That's the single most important criteria!

If she doesn't win but medals at Nationals, her selection would still be fair. A podium finish at Nationals is also a big consideration.

If she shows up at Nationals, doesn't do anything but single jumps, and fails to qualify for the free, then her selection would...still be fair. Her world ranking, built up through years of competition, earns her a right to be considered. There may be quite a few people that don't like that, but by the rules, she has earned such consideration, so long as she fulfills her obligation to compete at Nationals.

So, as long as she steps on the ice and competes at Nationals, her selection would be fair, and I doubt that a single competitor would disagree with that.
Good point about her competing to qualify for Olympics. That could be why she is still considering possibly competing.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I bet the judges would be very happy to give Rike higher marks if she could be a little more consistent.
Was she already injured at Worlds? Why didn't she skip WTT then? Why did she participated in all the ice shows last summer?
I believe she was already having injury issues leading into Worlds and I never understood why she kept competing later when she was obviously injured. As to the scoring, Kaori is obviously overscored., especially at home. Yes she is a consistent jumper, but that doesn't mean the judges should overlook her many other flaws when they score her, as they often do. But the scoring isn't even relevant when comparing Kaori to Rika. Rika's tech content, when healthy, is so superior to Sakamoto that Kaori has no chance, unless Rika falls apart. As a matter of fact, Higuchi, even without a 3A, would beat Sakamoto if scoring was fair in Japan.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Do you guys really want to see Rika at the Olympics with performances similar to both her WTT skates (69 / 132).... or worse, her 2021 Worlds FS (126)?

I mean, if her goal is to simply attend the Olympics.... sure, go for it. Numb the pain with whatever approved drugs, and limp across the finish line.

readernick

Medalist
Do you guys really want to see Rika at the Olympics with performances similar to both her WTT skates (69 / 132).... or worse, her 2021 Worlds FS (126)?

I mean, if her goal is to simply attend the Olympics.... sure, go for it. Numb the pain with whatever approved drugs, and limp across the finish line.
No, I don't want to see that. Rika's failure to properly address her initial injury ( which occurred prior to Worlds) has led to a series of injuries that have resulted in this terrible situation. I hope she has learned from this situation and doesn't try to make the Olympics this year. Rika and Aliona are my favorite women's skaters of the last ten years. also Wakaba and Ksenia S. but they aren't injured) The fact that neither will be at the Olympics is very very 😭. However, long-term health is more important. If Rika can heal, she could very easily go to the Olympics in 4 years. She will only be in her early 20s.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Good point about her competing to qualify for Olympics. That could be why she is still considering possibly competing.
But it certainly doesn't guarantee her selection. They could just as easily select the medalists, and be totally justified in doing so. She hasn't built up nearly the same amount of lifetime street cred as Yuzuru Hanyu or Mao Asada yet.

So while she can theoretically just show up and be (justifiably) selected, realistically, I think she needs to both show up and have competitive programs, meaning doing everything but quads and triple axels at a minimum.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
We're all talking about Rika at the 2022 Olympics, but she could go to the Olympics in four years. She's not Russian and now coached Brian, whose skaters have fantastic longevity. Several of the Japanese women vying for these Olympic spots were also at Nationals in 2017 (Kaori, Mai, Satoko, Wakaba) and are still top skaters internationally, so this wouldn't be completely unprecedented. She has good skating skills and jump technique, which are both helpful in staying around in the sport. I'd much rather she takes it slow and looks to the future as opposed to risking getting even more hurt to skate at the current Olympics.

Joekaz

On the Ice
But it certainly doesn't guarantee her selection. They could just as easily select the medalists, and be totally justified in doing so. She hasn't built up nearly the same amount of lifetime street cred as Yuzuru Hanyu or Mao Asada yet.

So while she can theoretically just show up and be (justifiably) selected, realistically, I think she needs to both show up and have competitive programs, meaning doing everything but quads and triple axels at a minimum.
I agree, plus it would depend on who the 3rd place girl is and how well she skated.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I agree, plus it would depend on who the 3rd place girl is and how well she skated.
Even in that situation Rika still wouldn't be the only other possible choice. Several people have already qualified via "Top three ISU season best scores at the end of the All Japan Championships", "Top three in the ISU World Standings at the end of the All Japan Championships", and "Top three ISU Season World Rankings at the end of the All Japan Championships". And there's also "Top two season best technical scores in international competitions, the All Japan Championships and domestic competitions as designated by the strengthening department"

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Rika's withdrawal from Nationals is officially announced: (JSF link to be added)

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Rika's withdrawal from Nationals is officially announced: (JSF link to be added)

😭😭😭😭😭😭

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but it's incredibly sad to think that Rika Kihira would still have a hope of being selected to the Olympics if only she had score 0.32 more points at 2019 Worlds. Who would have thought that that would be so significant...

Anyway, outside of Sakamoto, Mihara, and Higuchi (with a super outside chance for Kawabe with some lights out technical scores), everyone else must get on the podium to be considered for the Olympic team.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
We're all talking about Rika at the 2022 Olympics, but she could go to the Olympics in four years. She's not Russian and now coached Brian, whose skaters have fantastic longevity. Several of the Japanese women vying for these Olympic spots were also at Nationals in 2017 (Kaori, Mai, Satoko, Wakaba) and are still top skaters internationally, so this wouldn't be completely unprecedented. She has good skating skills and jump technique, which are both helpful in staying around in the sport. I'd much rather she takes it slow and looks to the future as opposed to risking getting even more hurt to skate at the current Olympics.
It's not about being Russian or not. It's about competition with country quotas. I don't suggest Rika's competing with injuries. But Japan is not Italy. Strong young skaters can emerge during the next quad. Therefore, she might be willing to compete in 4 years. But spots may be taken by others.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
It's not about being Russian or not. It's about competition with country quotas. I don't suggest Rika's competing with injuries. But Japan is not Italy. Strong young skaters can emerge during the next quad. Therefore, she might be willing to compete in 4 years. But spots may be taken by others.
She already has triple axels and a quad salchaw also training the quad toe, I don't think she will have a problem with that, she has good technique, she has the best scoring potential of the japanese ladies so far, she has good PCS even tho she has been underscored, she is under one of the best coaches, she just need to stay healthy, consistent and focus, Rika could still be the best japanese lady skater for the next olympics and still be a podium potential, we just need to believe and support her, she has lots of talents and still a long way to go and I want to be with her in what is coming in the future

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I think many won't like this but I can clearly see Kaori Flutz and Wakaba lip in the sp at nationals, also Mai have unclear edges in both flip and lutz, Satoko triple flip was at least q and I know she has problems with unclear edges in her lutz, Mana have an unclear edge in the lutz and Rion Sumiyoshi triple toe was clearly underrotated. Since Rino sp is not available anymore on youtube I can't say something about her program but she has problems with unclear edges in her lutz as well, I don't agree with the score of many skaters in this competition and I love them all but I'm mad when calls are not given, damn I really miss Rika's clear edges

Last edited:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
What do you suppose would be the finish that would make Olympic team selection most difficult?

My guess would be Sakamoto and Higuchi in 1-2 (or 2-1) and then, a bit of a way back, Kawabe in third, with Mihara just barely missing out in fourth, by like a point or less.

Do you go with the woman that consistently puts up 210+ performances, is probably looking at her last shot at the Olympics, and would undoubtedly be the biggest feel good story of them all?

Or do you go with the hot hand with a triple axel and a future ahead of her that potentially extends all the way to 2030?

I know who I'd pick, but I pity the people responsible for telling either one of them that they didn't make the cut.