2021-22 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Denys Strekalin has appeared on ice partner search, so it sadly looks like he and Cleo have split :(
They had previously announced they were taking time off as Cleo had burnout. I really enjoyed these two's quirky and different programs, and had been hoping they could rise up the field post-Olympics...

Good luck to Denys in his search for a new partner, and best wishes to Cleo, whether she decides to return to skating after recovering or moves on to a different chapter in her life.

http://www.icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7043

LKGwennire

On the Ice
Country
Brazil
Isadora Williams from Brazil is retiring either after Nationals or Worlds (she hasn't decided yet, but it is certain this is her last season)

My translation from an Brazilian website's article regarding Isadora's retirement by the end of this season:
"After not qualifying to the Winter Olympics, Isadora Williams decides to retire"

It was pretty much expected for Isadora to retire after what happened in Nebelhorn. Nevertheless, she will be regarded as one of the trailblazers not only for figure skating but for winter sports in Brazil, which has been recognized by the Brazilian Olympic Comitee back in 2018 even, when she became the flagbearer at the Olympics' closing ceremony.
Regarding the future of skating around here, we have a few junior skaters who might soon be competing internationally, but it will all depend on the results at Nationals in December.

Isadora Williams, the main representant for winter sports in Brazil in the last decade, is hanging her skates by the end of this season. The figure skater wasn't able to secure a spot at the Beijing Olympic Games, to happen in February next year, and has decided to end her career. "I've competed in two olympic games and my dream of taking part in the Games twice has come true. Beijing would be kind of an extra thing, just for fun. It was never my actual goal to compete in 2022. Nevertheless, I trained a lot to qualify, but it just didn't happen. Now I have new dreams and I've set new goals" Isadora told us during a video call, directly from the United States.
(... I won't translate this part because it's just a basic recap of her career...)
But then the pandemic hit. "I wasn't able to train then. In the US the quarantine rules were very strict. The rink where I used to train in NJ was closed for six months. I didn't know at the time whether I'd be able to keep going, if there'd even be a skating season, there were no competitions happening. It was so weird." she said, juggling between English and Portuguese.
After growing as an athlete in Virginia, the Brazilian athlete moved to New Jersey for college. During the pandemic, however, she came back to her parents' house, and resumed skating only at the end of 2020. "It wasn't the same, you lose muscle, you lose rhythm. I don't want to give any excuses, but I was 24 already, it wasn't easy at all", explains the skater, who had to deal with a fracture on her foot.
In September, she competed at Nebelhorn Trophy, in Germany, the last Olympic qualifiers, as quite the underdog. After placing 32nd in the short program, she withdrew from the competition without skating at the free skating segment, then saying goodbye to any possibility of a Olympic qualification for Beijing.
Before retiring, Isadora will come to Brazil, in december, to compete at Nationals, which are happening at the rink built by the Brazilian Ice Sports Federation at a warehouse in São Paulo (Arena Ice Brasil). "What happened in Germany was disappointing, so I want to redeem myself. I don't want Nebelhorn Trophy to be my last competition. I want have a last great showing" says Isadora, who is still deciding if she will compete in March at the World Championship one last time.
As Williams is about to graduate, she intends to move to São Paulo in the near future and teach skating to young Brazilian athletes, passing on the knowledge of almost two decades at the US figure skating environment. As for her plans, she would work remotely for American clients, making money out of that job, but staying close to skating as she gives classes.
During the interview, she wasn't able to give names of any Brazilian boys or girls who can take her place at the international stage of the sport. "When I was at Canoas for the 2019 Nationals, I saw kids with potential, but it's so hard to tell because they eventually get injured or lose interest. It's difficult to talk about continuity. I hope other Brazilians, Brazilian-Americans, Brazilian-Canadians, Brazilians who live in Europe, wherever, are able to keep skating going on for our country."

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Andrea82

Medalist
Do you know if they're new teams, or already existing teams newly arrived at the Ice Academy? I don't know if I should update the coaching changes thread, or the new teams thread.
Papetti split with Chiara Calderone during the 2019 fall season and hasn't skate since then.
Dozzi used to skate with Valdez for Hungary. Last seen at Bavaria Open 2020.

Ritter was with Wang at 2020 US Junior Championships.
Brykalov skated with Gracie Vainik until 2021 US Nationals.

Both of these teams have not competed together yet.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Samantha Ritter / Daniel Brykalov are brand new. Daniel was skating with Gracie VAINIK last season. (As far as I can tell from Rink Results, Samantha wasn't competing last season. She was with Jim Wang the season before.).

As for Leia Dozzi / Pietro Papetti, I don't think either of them competed last season. But, they were both with different partners the season before that.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Ritter was with Wang at 2020 US Junior Championships. ...

Speaking of Jim Wang :) ... a belated mention that his new partner this season for junior dance is Madeleine Gans.

IIRC, their first competition was Onyx Challenge (in Michigan) in August.

They also competed in U.S. Championship Series in Blaine, and they are on the list for the upcoming Championship Series in Alpharetta.

Jedidiah Isbell is an addition to icepartnersearch as of approx. a week ago.

He had been in a new partnership this season with Laiken Lockley.

They had competed in junior pairs in a couple of U.S. events. Also most recently (AFAIK) at the John Nicks international in NYC in September.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Adelina Galyavieva and Louis Thauron have split, as Louis has a chronic injury 😭
I really loved these two, their programs were so quirky and unique. I really hope Adelina is able to continue with another partner and that Louis recovers fully. Wishing them both the very best in their futures.

Source (French Fed. Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/p/CV0hXhYoqkN/?utm_medium=copy_link

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Adelina Galyavieva and Louis Thauron have split, as Louis has a chronic injury 😭
I really loved these two, their programs were so quirky and unique. I really hope Adelina is able to continue with another partner and that Louis recovers fully. Wishing them both the very best in their futures.

Source (French Fed. Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/p/CV0hXhYoqkN/?utm_medium=copy_link
This is really sad. I recall how interested I was in this team at the WC 2021 and at the WTT because they brought something new, fresh and fun to the table.

Chronic injuries are awful, I hope his leaving the sport will help heal. And I hope Adelina can find a way to continue (if that is what she wants of course). I also wish them all the best.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker

Really sorry to hear this, their Perfume FD was one of my absolute favorites last season, I thought they had such a bright future. Definitely hope Adelina can find a new partner if she wants to continue and that Louis's injury heals enough for him to feel all right in everyday life if not in skating.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I noticed that the new team of Emily Bratti/ Ian Somerville are listed as subs for the U.S. at Warsaw Cup coming up in a couple of weeks. I checked further and I see that Bratti/Somerville are assigned to compete at Cup of Austria (Nov. 11 - 14). The Wiki listing for Ian has been updated to briefly mention his new partnership with Bratti.

We learned earlier this season that Ian's former partner, Katarina DelCamp, is in a new partnership with Billy Wilson French, representing Great Britain. I haven't seen any reports of DelCamp/French competing this season.

Emily Bratti was formerly paired with Mathieu Couyras, representing France:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Serafima Sankhonovic has retired, and now works as a coach.

The article is very long, so here is the translation from the article, translated from Russian to English:

Sima Sakhanovich is your last top student in Russia. How is she doing? Are you planning to perform again?
- Seraphima finished last year. She made this decision even before I left. Which, by the way, helped me make the decision to move. I have been leading it for the last years. I enjoyed working with her. We found contact with her. But she finished her career - now she works as a coach in the Moscow region. And she really likes it! We keep in touch with her. She often sends videos, advises. In general, I found myself.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I see that Katarina DelCamp has officially announced her new partnership with Billy Wilson French, on her Instagram (Chris Dean & Mark Hanretty are part of their coaching team). Plus, Kat has been spending the summer training in England, with some time out to have fun with Cirque du Soleil! Her Instagram posts are always fun and entertaining:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ 'ballroom training' - I suppose they're a dance couple then? And 'Sheffield' - they represent the UK, I would assume? ... Guys, really, I am happy to edit in new teams and split teams, but I would appreciate if you let me know the categories and countries. I don't know all of these skaters, usually I recognize the names but I have no idea about their country and category. So if you do, please let me know in your posts, so I don't have to find out through vague social media posts. Thanks.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I see that Katarina DelCamp has officially announced her new partnership with Billy Wilson French, on her Instagram (Chris Dean & Mark Hanretty are part of their coaching team). Plus, Kat has been spending the summer training in England, with some time out to have fun with Cirque du Soleil! Her Instagram posts are always fun and entertaining:

^ 'ballroom training' - I suppose they're a dance couple then? And 'Sheffield' - they represent the UK, I would assume? ... Guys, really, I am happy to edit in new teams and split teams, but I would appreciate if you let me know the categories and countries. I don't know all of these skaters, usually I recognize the names but I have no idea about their country and category. So if you do, please let me know in your posts, so I don't have to find out through vague social media posts. Thanks.

It was discussed in the British & Irish thread about 10 days ago. Here is the start of the conversation:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/posts/2827343

Hope this clears things up

CaroLiza_fan

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You've never seen or heard of Katarina DelCamp before? She competed with Ian Somerville in junior ice dance for the U.S. since 2019, but they decided to split apparently earlier this year. Fortunately, they've both found new partners. Kat's Instagram is 'the bomb.' She's fantastic at yoga, and she's also very literary, reflective, attractive, and delightfully engaging. She has a twin brother who also competed in skating. Before partnering with Ian, Kat competed in novice and in juniors ice dance with Maxwell Gart (who has since retired from the sport -- before retiring, he was briefly and promisingly partnered with Anna Lavrova for the U.S. -- they had bad luck at a JGP event where Anna suffered an injury after a freak fall during competition).

When Kat & Ian didn't show up on the ISP list this season, it was noticed and talked about. No official announcements were made, but it was noticed fairly soon that Kat had partnered with Billy Wilson French of Great Britain (also a junior ice dancer). It was discussed in this thread prior to the start of the season. At that point, it was not clear what Ian's plans were -- apparently he was looking for a new partner.

Also, my earlier post mentioning Emily Bratti partnering with Ian Somerville, referenced Katarina DelCamp as Ian's former partner. And I linked a junior ice dance performance video of Bratti with her former French partner. So yes, all of these skaters are ice dancers. Possibly there might be some confusion with the Instagram link to Kat performing adagio skating and acrobatics with members of Cirque du Soleil. But even then, Kat's Instagram bio identifies her as an ice dancer, though she needs to update that she now represents Great Britain. As well, it's pretty clear in my post and in the Instagram post that Kat & her new partner, Billy, are being trained by famous ice dancers, Hanretty and Dean. :)

Thanks for the additional link to discussions on GSF @CaroLiza_fan!

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thank you for all your hard work, surimi!

I've barely heard of Katarina DelCamp, and I'm American, and I've certainly never heard of her new partner. Yes, they are a new ice dance team representing GB.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Have new info about lesser known skaters? Please post it including the category and country the skater represents so it can be listed in the opening post. Thanks! 🌷 ...

...... Guys, really, I am happy to edit in new teams and split teams, but I would appreciate if you let me know the categories and countries. I don't know all of these skaters, usually I recognize the names but I have no idea about their country and category. ...

Thank you for all your hard work, surimi!

I've barely heard of Katarina DelCamp, and I'm American, and I've certainly never heard of her new partner. Yes, they are a new ice dance team representing GB.

surimi, you have my thanks as well for your work on this thread! :thank:
I'm sad to see when the saying of, "No good deed goes unpunished," unfortunately is applicable to your efforts. :(

It is completely justifiable for you to make polite requests that posts in this thread include disciplines and countries.
If I am adding something to the thread about Skaters X and Y, and it is obvious to me what their discipline and countries are, it is hardly asking too much of me to include these basics in my post.
It is wrong to put the burden on you to click around to check for this information. :mad:

I agree with el henry that even within U.S. skating, DelCamp has not been a standout.
I am a big fan of U.S. ice dance (including juniors).

I would be the first to say that my "knowledge" of non-U.S. dancers is hit-or-miss. I too had never heard of DelCamp's new partner. 🤷‍♀️ #sorrynotsorry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.