2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

silveruskate

On the Ice
I have no idea where the "National Team" training camp came from. It isn't customary for Liza at least, to ever train there during the summer. It was just this year before Worlds due to Covid quarantine.

Normally all of Eteri's skaters go there during the summer, and my understanding is this is paid for by Sambo-70 or the Federation as an intensive training block for their skaters.

Most likely they are there now! Last year they arrived on (Wednesday) 27th May. This year it's the 27th but already Thursday!

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I have no idea where the "National Team" training camp came from.
from the fact that it IS indeed one, maybe? :) Novogorsk training centre is run by the Ministry of Sports and provides training facilities to the national teams in 32 sports disciplines; sports schools/clubs can use the facilities when national teams are not training there.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
false alarm: Gorshkov: my words about the non-participation of Zagitova and Medvedeva in the Olympics were distorted

“Both Zagitova and Medvedeva have opportunities to train, compete and win the right to compete in the Olympics as part of the Russian national team. My words were distorted. Perhaps intentionally. Both Alina and Zhenya have every opportunity to compete there if they train, prepare and perform well, they will win the right to go, then we will see them at the Olympics. And what everyone wrote as my words is nonsense," Gorshkov told RIA Novosti.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
He's just stating what everyone except the crazy uber fans understands, Medvedeva and Zagitova don't have the technical skills to compete with the top Russians anymore and barring something horrific, they won't be at the Olympics.
Yeah sure, I also don't think it's realistic for either Zhenya or Alina to compete at Beijing 2022 tbh, but Gorshkov as president of the Fed shouldn't make such a blunt statement. At least Zhenya is still actively training and has publicly stated the desire to continue her competitive career - to be honest I find it very unsportsmanlike of Gorshkov to flat out rule out the possibility of Zhenya or Alina participating at the Olympics. The Oly team is decided based on RusNats (and probably after Europeans) and everyone who wants to fight for a place and qualifies for Nats should be given a fair chance there. What's even the point of excluding some athletes beforehand?

Edit: Well, Gorshkov said as much himself in the corrective statement posted by JazzUp above, so who knows, maybe he was misquoted. But the guy definitely has comedic potential with his press statements and retractions and the "I know nothing" approach. :ROFLMAO:

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Well he is just stating the obvious.
no, he's not.
saying (as a private person or as a fed rep) that a skater has very slim chances would've been "just stating the obvious" and acceptable
saying "no, no, no, not a chance" as a head of the fed is openly stating that the fed has already decided not to give a skater any chance at all (i.e., gp/cup stages to even try to qualify).
former is ok, latter is not

Ziotic

Medalist
I would also argue that Evgenia and Daria have equal chances assuming Med is healthy and training.

And most seem to think Daria has a higher chance than Liza.

Amei

Record Breaker
Which are? Remember, she back with Eteri now and all that comes with it.

Well Medvedeva has struggled with consistency and injuries the last few years, and that was with reduced technical content that's not exactly going to threaten the top ladies in Russia right now. She was getting very favorable scoring with Orser so any perceived "Eteri bonus" is not going to help bump her scores up in the ranks.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Daria has the consistency which is what brought Medvedeva to the top 5-6years ago but with age, injuries etc Zhenya has lost that. We can count on Daria to skate a 7tripples free with two backloaded combos wich we havent seen from Zhenya the last two seasons and even the one before that, that layout was no longer consistent.
Daria also has better spinns than Zhenya at this point. With her back injury the quality of Zhenyas spinns decreeced since she had to include spin positions she was less comfortable due to no longer being able to do the layback variations she had done previously.

I will also say that I think Daria has overall better jumping technique (apart from the both being flutzers) which ads to the quality. personaly i also prefer Darias skating style and expression but I will admit to that being a verry subjective opinion.

Last edited:

Lzbee

Final Flight
Daria is younger, has less injuries to deal with and hasn't needed to recover from covid. She has a stable standard triple jump layout right now and is able to work on upgrading her tech.

Unfortunately, Evgenia is starting in the back foot this season because of the pandemic.

(Also, Daria's Lutz edge has never been called e yet so she's more likely to get away with it...)

silveruskate

On the Ice
Daria's 2A is great and I really believe she can get the 3A by next season. Even more important is placing it in the programs. Her RusNats FS was perfect, but those last 3 jump passes are really important to make perfect every time. I notice in her FS she starts to lose stamina and it's especially visible in the spin straight after her last jump. Absolute good luck to her.