2021-22 US Ice Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2021-22 US Ice Dance

rain

Record Breaker
In the grand scheme of the race for the bronze medal and the battle between H/D and C/B for the US title this year, the judges are very undecided. In their first competitions of the season, G/P scored 208.97, C/B scored 208.31, and H/D scored 207.30. Both C/B and H/D had extended lift deductions, which will certainly be gone by the time the Grand Prixs start, which only makes the scores even closer together. Of course, scores can't really be fairly compared across competitions (I think the Finlandia caller was harsher while the Autumn Classic caller was pretty generous. G/P got level 3 on their diagonal step and got a level 4 on the one foot step sequence while nobody got higher than a level 2 on the step sequences or a level 3 on the one foots at Finlandia), so the only real conclusion that can be drawn is that the judges don't have a favorite for bronze at the start of the season, which of course only makes things more exciting as the season progresses, who will come out on top?
I really wish we weren't all so resigned to conceding the silver (or heaven forbid) the gold to the Russians. Their material and their skating doesn't deserve it. I know, I know, politics. I can still dream though.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really wish we weren't all so resigned to conceding the silver (or heaven forbid) the gold to the Russians. Their material and their skating doesn't deserve it. I know, I know, politics. I can still dream though.
I'm with you, but I'd go farther. Concede NOTHING to ANYONE.

Chock and Bates were pretty close to P/C this past week, skating a program they've had a month. The judges have already demonstrated that they don't mind knocking P/C off their pedestal, so why not again?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Following up on a recent conversation about Wolfkostin/Chen in the JGP Baltic FD thread:

... are Wolfkostin/Chen planning to compete as Seniors at 2022 U.S. Nationals?
The reason I ask is this line from the article added to the USFS site on Sep 22 :unsure::
[ETA (on Oct 5):
The article also was published in the Aug-Sep 2021 issue of Skating magazine, which I looked at today for the first time.]​

As for the next chapter of their story, Wolfkostin and Chen are already hard at work creating it. The team plans to move up to the senior level for the 2021–22 competitive season.

(Yes, I know that it would mean needing to skate a Senior RD with Midnight Blues instead of Blues.)

... And Wolfkostin/Chen—I hadn’t heard about them maybe moving up this year, I figured they’d stay in juniors and they certainly have been competing on the JGP so far this season. I think they will move up should they win Junior Nationals again this year, though.

As of Oct 10, Wolfkostin/Chen are listed for Senior Dance at Championship Series in Alpharetta, Georgia.
(Which I think means that by early September, they had registered for Senior Dance for the U.S. qualifying season for Nats.
I don't think that switching from Junior to Senior would have been allowed after the registration deadline.)

They already earned a bye to Nats (in their choice of Senior or Junior category), because they qualified for JGPF.
And they already have the senior tech minimums for Nats.

But my guess(?) would be that they will go forward with competing in Alpharetta -- as their first senior event.​

ETA (on Oct 19):

So .... as revealed in the Oct 15 update to USFS assignments page, turns out that W/C's first senior event will be the Challenger international in Austria (Nov 11- 15).

Alpharetta is scheduled for the following week. It would be W/C's second senior event, if they choose to go forward with competing there.​

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Glad that Avonley is back competing but she may never get a chance to compete at a future Olympics now.
I don't think that Grigory will have citizenship problems. The next Olympics is still some years away. But I don't exactly know. I hope it works well.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am not sure how N/G and H/K are doing, but I feel confident in their partnerships, and I hope things work well with their citizenships. Grigory has some good Senior experience, and Avonley has potential to be a fabulous Senior Ice Dancer. And Sophia and Vadym are still very young. Both partnerships are listed to compete in November.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think that Grigory will have citizenship problems. The next Olympics is still some years away. But I don't exactly know. I hope it works well.
Tanith Belbin lived in the US for over 7 years and still had to have a special act of Congress to get citizenship before the 2006 winter Olympics and i doubt our bloated system makes it any faster now..

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tanith Belbin lived in the US for over 7 years and still had to have a special act of Congress to get citizenship before the 2006 winter Olympics and i doubt our bloated system makes it any faster now..
This might sound odd, but it seems like skaters from Canada have a hard time getting US citizenship, compared to skaters from other countries to the US. I don't know much about those things, but skaters like Christina Carreira, Tanith Belbin, and Mervin Tran to my knowledge had a rough time with it. Alexei Krashnazhon and Yaroslav Paniot seemed and seem to be doing pretty successful. Again, my knowledge on this subject isn't too great, and I may have messed some things I mentioned up, but if N/S start doing really successful, I am sure that there will be a big push to get the citizenship.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tanith Belbin lived in the US for over 7 years and still had to have a special act of Congress to get citizenship before the 2006 winter Olympics and i doubt our bloated system makes it any faster now.

That was a different time. Tanith had applied for citizenship as soon as she could, but after 911, all citizenship applications were put on hold, and her application was lost in limbo like many others. That's why it took an act of Congress to untangle the logjam and push her citizenship through.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This might sound odd, but it seems like skaters from Canada have a hard time getting US citizenship, compared to skaters from other countries to the US. I don't know much about those things, but skaters like Christina Carreira, Tanith Belbin, and Mervin Tran to my knowledge had a rough time with it. Alexei Krashnazhon and Yaroslav Paniot seemed and seem to be doing pretty successful. Again, my knowledge on this subject isn't too great, and I may have messed some things I mentioned up, but if N/S start doing really successful, I am sure that there will be a big push to get the citizenship.

FWIW:

Carreira was born on April 3, 2000; and Krasnozhon just days later on April 11, 2000.

Carreira received her green card in August 2020, after being denied "extraordinary ability" status in May 2018.
ETA (on Oct 14):
To be more precise, her first petition in May 2018 for "extraordinary ability" status was denied in August 2018.
If I understand correctly, her third petition was approved.​

Krasnozhon received his green card in September 2020, after applying for "extraordinary ability" status after his 18th birthday (apparently with eventual success).​

Last edited:

Dogo

On the Ice

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone else excited about the Hubbell & Donohue vs. Chock & Bates matchup at Skate America?

I am excited to see Hubbell & Donohue's dances as I did not see them at any earlier event. I watched both teams run thru's here and liked HD's costumes and music, but overall liked CB's material better.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone else excited about the Hubbell & Donohue vs. Chock & Bates matchup at Skate America?

I am excited to see Hubbell & Donohue's dances as I did not see them at any earlier event. I watched both teams run thru's here and liked HD's costumes and music, but overall liked CB's material better.

I’m mildly excited but much more excited/fearful to see my babies H/B. Will IAM actually give them a decent piece of choreography or will it be Godawful like two years ago? Wish they had kept the Blondie masterpiece.

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside

Yes…….me 👋

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't seen the performances but, looking at the scores, Madison and Zach and Madison and Evan look to be the strength of the US Team.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Unfortunately I couldn't watch the competition, but I'm amazed that no one here is commenting about Green & Parsons being 4th at Skate Canada, well ahead of the Brits (though it looks like they underperformed?). Did anyone watch and have something to say about the programs?