2021 Finlandia Trophy: Men's Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021 Finlandia Trophy: Men's Free Skate

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really, none of the men skated two really clean programs. They all made mistakes. And clearly Jason's program was designed not to have the top technical content. I am sure that his team felt that he wouldn't need it for this competition and they were right. This is a long game for all the top skaters. Their goal is to get to the Olympics and do well there. Being in peak condition was not the strategy for an early October competition. They all tried to skate the best that they could at this point in the season. And I think they did. But none of them were perfect. There is still a lot of work to be done and competitions to skate before the Olympic teams are chosen. They all skated the best they could right now. And they will all skate better as the season progresses.
Keegan didn’t have to fall doing nothing. 🥲

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some of these comments seem passive-aggressive toward Kolyada. I didn’t think this was a JB fan thread, but please. Some of us waited for TEN YEARS for Jason to have a clean quad. A LOT thought it was ridiculous that Evan won an OGM without one so many years ago. I don’t want a fan war but this whole narrative of Kolyada being cold Russian and Jason being darling is getting old. The sport should evolve. Period.
But why does “evolving” equal “jumps only.?”

auser

Record Breaker
Yesterday I was dog tired after getting to Helsinki after travel perturbations and had some doubts, but today...I can say it was worth every penny to brave it out & go. The sheer experience of seeing some of those skaters/programs live is unparalleled for me. Plus I am kinda glad I took few crowns with me because sometimes my luck is not crappy, but this story I will maybe reserve for Jason's FF. All I can say is that Jason for me evokes multitude of things by slightest gesture, a nuance and particularity in his skating - seeing both his programs, these two programs, in person made me realize how much his skating impacted my view of skating in general.
I am honestly happy right now. And I haven't been for a long time.
So happy for you NoNameFace!:hap10: And you still have RD to watch.:)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've decided to watch the men in order as I'm home from my grandparents house.

Gasp an Aussie judge!

I like the intros :) Hey James! I'm glad he managed to make it. I wonder if he's planning on hanging around Europe now? Getting back to Aussieland is difficult at the moment...not many flights and possible multiple quarantines if he lands in NSW for example - he lives in South Australia I believe, the borders are closed to NSW due to the COVID situation so it's messy.

Anyway! Love Micheal CM's costume! Excited for Christopher too (although his name doesn't show up on the list of names - rude! :p

Makar from Finland up first - hometown boy. I liked him and he got himself a SB.

Micha from Switzerland, been a while since I've seen a Swiss skater. 👍 on the music choice! Oh it's just got interesting...why are there aquarium noises? :laugh: Keeps your attention though!

James! He is a man of many talents he also sings and plays the piano :) Very elegant arms too, love me elegant arms. Aww no buffering...wait there it goes. Also how about that Russian split? :biggrin: and don't you hate it when they replay the falls in slo-mo? 😅 Aww a shout out to Aus, I feel bad for not staying up now :p

The scoring is weird though...why don't they show the TES and PCS? Now I have to go look it up myself like an animal 😜

Micheal CM - What is up my friend! (Followers of his on social media will get this ;) ) Still as flexible as ever though the jumps are rough... More buffering though...

Goes to look up results. Wow what a topsy turvey FS! Yikes at Nikolai Majarov's result...From 4th to 22nd ended up 17th! 😱

MCM still buffering...I thought it was the stream playback, but it appears to be my internet.

So I gave up and just tracked down the skaters I could.

Zhenya S! Now here's the Zhenya S we know and love! The velcro behaved today! I have no idea what the yellow flower means but that was cool and then he changed back seamless! I'm like so impressed he got 3rd in the FS and finished 5th!

Which makes...
I had Semeneko fifth I think? Technically still possible.
Actually psychic!

Don't put Zhenya S in the (Lutz) corner ;) Papa Mishin will not allow it ;)

Matteo - I was stunned to see him waaaay In 19th in SP! But he came storming back! Glad to see him back in form and doing a Nathan at the 2018 Olympics here :) Also that was some good face he gave there! His coach was into it!

Mika K - He does look like he's headed to a job interview later... Wow the height on that first quad and the 3A! There does indeed seem to be a lack of emotional connection here...which is a bit of a "no-no" for this kind of music. He really is a lovely skater though...pop and all. But Papa Mishin please, please return our White Crow to us! Mika deserves a program that will make him shine!

Jason - He's got a new costume, more eye catching. But you can immediately feel the connection he has to the music, just in the opening arm movements. It's a privilege to watch him skate it, a real moment.

Dima A - Couldn't find him at first when I searched but he popped up on the side bar. I'm really pulling for Dima! And this costume 🤩 He has come back to us! Dima + Waltz = OTP

And he wins bronze, good man. :clap:

And this post is way too long... So I'll wrap it up here!

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
But why does “evolving” equal “jumps only.?”
This!
I'm convinced non-fans of Jason are upset he's often above their faves because they watch FS mainly for the quads. And their only argument is: "but, but he doesn't have quads." Forgetting the whole picture of figure skating and that you actually are scored for ALL the elements and ALL jumps not only the four-rotation ones. It's like they're thinking: "Oh, how dare he not have quads and has the audacity to compete still." Well, points add up and math is math. And he was above the guys jumping quads even with a step out, a fall, a 3 level spin, a triple apparently popped into a double and a watered down tech content even for him. And as a Jason fan I'm thrilled, he's such a boss. 😀

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to Rizzo for his win at the freeskate!!! WOW, that was an amazing performance...
Feeling sad for Messing, things just did not work well for him last night.

I think I´m becoming a fan of Levandi! There is something in his skating that really pleases my eye, the wonderful lightness of his feet...

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Rizzo for his win at the freeskate!!! WOW, that was an amazing performance...
Feeling sad for Messing, things just did not work well for him last night.

I think I´m becoming a fan of Levandi! There is something in his skating that really pleases my eye, the wonderful lightness of his feet...
I'm fan of Levandi too. He's been in 4 competitions so far this season, 2 juniors and 2 seniors and he always delivers. He is on the rise.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
RoundedBackCamel: Some of these comments seem passive-aggressive toward Kolyada. I didn’t think this was a JB fan thread, but please. Some of us waited for TEN YEARS for Jason to have a clean quad. A LOT thought it was ridiculous that Evan won an OGM without one so many years ago.

Yes, but Evan did have a successful quad, but had to stop doing it because of injuries.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm fan of Levandi too. He's been in 4 competitions so far this season, 2 juniors and 2 seniors and he always delivers. He is on the rise.

Levandi is adorable, I hope he able to keep polishing his performance skills.

I can hardly believe he is the same skater from the 2020 Youth Olympics, I did not see this coming at all. :eek: