2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program | Page 94 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's' Short Program

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Losing here wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to Nathen to be honest. He hasn't had that feeling of losing for almost 3 years now and maybe he needs to remember how it feels and it will light a fire inside of him. When you think about it this season has been a loss and how do you get excited when most of the season didn't even happen. I would think he will get more time to practice compared to last year at this time.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Well that was a ride, I'm a tangled mess of emotions right now. And ugh I don't want to get my hopes up and I really, really don't want to put pressure on my darling but if that placement holds my darling would be getting two spots and my homeboy Sihyeong with his newly acquired rippon quad sal could also go to the Olympics and
OMG, I have a huge soft spot for Lee Sihyeong and didn't know he had added a Rippon 4S! It must be gorgeous when he gets it right with his height and perfect rotation axis. I would love to see him at the Olympics.

Last edited:

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No!!! Han Yan deserves to be at the Olympics. ( This opinion may be influenced by how attractive he is but it is not the only reason)
It's too early for this, let's see how the Free Skate goes before we write off that spot. Boyang can rack up a huge score and move up substantially and Han Yan must hold on.

xabia

On the Ice
Component scores are rife for corruption. Let's look at those scores and ask ourselves "Why", so many times over. Deniss's for Interpretation, e.g - 7s & low 8s for a performance which was pure art. Nathan gets 9s - for what exactly? Judges need to be hauled up for the gifting of high component scores based on reputation, and not what they fail to see in front of them. It really makes me sick. There will never be a level playing field in the judging of figure skating.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru and Jason brought it in terms of commitment to performance, well representing TCC. They made me say wow when they finished.

I have to say I don't like the Robbie Williams song Hanyu skates to. If they wanted to go rock star again, there are better choices. I'd love to see him skate to a Bowie medley.

I feel badly for Vincent missing the free by .21 points. From 2019 bronze medalist to this. But I think he has enough perspective by now not to let this effect his skating going forward.

Nathan was tight today but throwing in the quad flip combo saved him. I think he will fight in the free.

And Yuma, he always seems to surprise everyone with his results. He could definitely be a spoiler for the podium and will at least have a small silver for his efforts.

slider11

Medalist
I still shake my head when I see Jason Brown's artistry ranked similarly to Chen or even Hanyu. Chen and Hanyu are masters at their jumps, no denying! (Except for Nathan today!) But they are both fabulous jumpers. Chen and Hanyu have good, very good artistry. But Jason Brown is in a class by himself. He is not going to win because he lacks the quads but his artistry should be rewarded. Putting Brown's artistry scores just 3 points higher than Kagiyama, is just absurd.

HKSZYU

Spectator
Component scores are rife for corruption. Let's look at those scores and ask ourselves "Why", so many times over. Deniss's for Interpretation, e.g - 7s & low 8s for a performance which was pure art. Nathan gets 9s - for what exactly? Judges need to be hauled up for the gifting of high component scores based on reputation, and not what they fail to see in front of them. It really makes me sick. There will never be a level playing field in the judging of figure skating.
Agreed. I actually like Nathan, but this SP is just bad. Bring back Caravan or Nemesis.. I don't understand how this gets 9+ in performance and interpretation, especially with a fall.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Quick thoughts for the few I saw...

Hanyu: I'm so impressed. I sometimes wondered if the magic of Yuzuru is rooted in the fan frenzy that is always whipping around him any time he steps on the ice. That kind of crowd energy really influences the impact of a performance. Yet here, in an arena with a fraction of a fraction of the usual people in attendance, he managed to generate that same excitement and energy all on his own. That's a testament to his charisma and showmanship on the ice. Great skate and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance.

Kagiyama: Missed him. Will have to go back and watch but it looks like he was great.

Chen: Sucks about missing the 4Lz but I was happy to see him pull off the rest of the program well. He's 8 points off the lead but he can make up a lot of ground in the FS. I think it's good for him. He's basically been untouchable for a while. It's good to stumble every now and then--it forces you to refocus and push harder to get back to where you were. Maybe not leading will take some of the pressure off for the FS as well as light a fire in him. I expect a strong performance in the FS.

Messing: Lovely performance. Such a pretty song and his skating was beautiful.

Brown: Jason's vocabulary of movement is unreal. He's like Satoko Miyahara: I could care less that the jumps aren't his strength; EVERYTHING else he does is amazing! Every single movement of the arm or head, every edge, every spin...stunning. Hands down the best and most unique choreography and the performance was perfection. I hope he can have a great FS too. I'd love to see him finish top 5.

I missed both Uno and Cha, and WTF happened to Zhou?? He's the reigning bronze medalist and he didn't even qualify for the FS. Man that's gotta be devastating.

I'm excited to see what happens in the FS. I still think it's going to be Chen, Hanyu and probably Kagiyama for bronze, but I'd be just as happy with Hanyu picking up another title. Should be a good competition!

Gabby30

On the Ice
Due to the judging shenanigans, Yuzuru will still need to be crystal clean to stand a chance of winning. Anything less than JNat quality and he will probably lose!
Don't again paint Yuzuru as a victim and how everything is a conspiracy against him. The +2GOE on that 4S was a gift, looking at how he botched it. And the program is not THAT great. He is competing with 4T's and 4S's against guys with 4Ltz' s and 4flip's. But his fans expect his scores to be world records automatically just because he is there :rolleyes: This reminds me again why i left that fandom....

xabia

On the Ice
And Performance. Your telling me that Yuma, Kevin, Deniss & Jason didn't deserve more than Nathan? What a joke!

Xorasy

Rinkside
Yesterday in the ladies event someone mentioned a new rule about a cap in PCs when someone does a serious error, and linked this:

Program Components – Single Skating, Pair Skating, Ice Dance

I read it yesterday and I'm reading it again now but still don't really understand. For something outstanding 9.75 should be the max for SS, TR and CO, and 9.50 for PE and IN. Looking at the protocol, this is not upheld for individual judges scores? (Looking at Nathan's score only since he is the only one getting such high points but had an error). And that is for outstanding, which I would not call Nathan's skate, the max should be even lower for the next category Excellent.

What I am missing? I didn't know of this rule before yesterday so I must be misunderstanding something?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Next year's Nebelhorn men's competition will be CRAZY, with potentially a US, Korean, Russian, Canadian, and French fighting for an extra spot.
There is only one extra spot? I’m still confused by the whole Nebelhorn thing. How many skaters can go to Nebelhorn from each country?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The goal for the Russian men is to keep their two spots. Thus far both Misha and Zhenya have done brilliantly, so we can all get our hopes up. Earning that third spot still would only ever be a bonus, not something to be expected. Keep in mind that Misha completely skipped last season and Zhenya's only international ISU competition before Worlds was a JGP in 2017.
Considering that, they've both already exceeded expectations with their placements in the short! :bow:
Yeah, but if the standings remained as is, they would be one point of that 3rd man they crave so badly, hence, devastating. Which is how I read the OP 🤣

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I still shake my head when I see Jason Brown's artistry ranked similarly to Chen or even Hanyu. Chen and Hanyu are masters at their jumps, no denying! (Except for Nathan today!) But they are both fabulous jumpers. Chen and Hanyu have good, very good artistry. But Jason Brown is in a class by himself. He is not going to win because he lacks the quads but his artistry should be rewarded. Putting Brown's artistry scores just 3 points higher than Kagiyama, is just absurd.
You can't realistically place Nathan and Yuzuru together. The level of their skating is just different. Yes, Jason is sublime but he does not jump quads. This makes artistry much easier. I remember when he tried 4T and fell the programs sort of fell apart. So, having Yuzuru and Jason with 46-47 is fine with me. Having Michail, Keegan, and Shoma with 44-45 is fine with me. But Nathan should not be higher than 42-43 with the quality of skating that he showed today. It's just a shame.