2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sackie

Medalist
Oh I think Maddie will be fine if she stays injury free, but I meant what happens if Maddie has an injury! Guess I forgot that she even came 9th at Finlandia last year. So she just might be one of those skaters who starts the season out slow.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh I think Maddie will be fine if she stays injury free, but I meant what happens if Maddie has an injury! Guess I forgot that she even came 9th at Finlandia last year. So she just might be one of those skaters who starts the season out slow.
Maddie has the force with her ... :) (Obi wan ke MADDIE, you are our only hope !)

Ziotic

Medalist
Look like there will be two Canadian pair teams and one Canadian dance team at the JGPF with potential for a second dance team depending on how next week goes.

Sackie

Medalist
So Lia got her mins for 4cc in the short but not the free. So now what? Do you think she will get another chance or will she start concentrating on Pairs?

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So Lia got her mins for 4cc in the short but not the free. So now what? Do you think she will get another chance or will she start concentrating on Pairs?
I hope not. In my opinion, she has more of an opportunity in Pairs and should concentrate and focus on that. 4CC should be left for Maddie, Gabby and Kaiya anyways 😝

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lia can still go to junior worlds..... btu she may indeed decide to focus on pairs for a little while and see where that's taking her....

Sackie

Medalist
You are probably right but it would be nice if there were more ladies in the running for these spots. What is the incentive to do your best when you know you are the only ones that can be sent. Unless Skate Canada does what it did at Skate Canada and just not fill all the CAN spots. The best days for CAN ladies is when we had close rivalries.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You are probably right but it would be nice if there were more ladies in the running for these spots. What is the incentive to do your best when you know you are the only ones that can be sent. Unless Skate Canada does what it did at Skate Canada and just not fill all the CAN spots. The best days for CAN ladies is when we had close rivalries.
they will come again... I can see Fiona and Justine becoming close rivals with Kaiya....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I n any case, I think we should celebrate Lolo and Nik's victory :) that's really amazing to have two different Canadian teams as winners of challengers with Lala last week. After the disastrous worlds last year, and losing our third spot... things are looking a bit brighter this year.

Sackie

Medalist
Oh I hope so - it would be nice to go back to the days of Katelyn, Gabby and Alaine, and even Juliane and Veronik. I really don't think Katelyn would have risen as high international as she did if she was not pushed at home. In fact there was one year when she came 3rd at Nationals and Gabby and Alaine went to worlds.

Sackie

Medalist
I n any case, I think we should celebrate Lolo and Nik's victory :) that's really amazing to have two different Canadian teams as winners of challengers with Lala last week. After the disastrous worlds last year, and losing our third spot... things are looking a bit brighter this year.
Oh for sure and with Carolane and Shane winning a bronze and a couple solid 4th place finishes our dancers are going well so far. Next week should also be interesting too - LaLa should get a 2nd place and Alicia and Paul could even come away with a bronze.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You guys are right. I know in BC, Kara Yun has been improving drastically ever since the Russian Uliana joined her club. She now has a 3Lz 3T. Kara scored 160+ at a domestic Junior event, while Uliana scored 160+ at the senior event. They both won easily. Now, Kara scored as the highest CAN SB from her event, also scoring 160+. I can see the difference when athletes are pushing themselves due to competition. I think the Canadian girls are at the early stages of this push. Eventually, Maddie, might not have it so easy.

Sackie

Medalist
I agree our young JRs are showing some promise. But the same old story - they need to be sent out to international events more to get seen more and to get more experience. How many of our young JRs in the past showed so much promise but fizzled when they moved up - some due to injuries others to growth and more to just not having the experience. Most recent would be Allison, Alicia and Aurora, and even Kaiya, since we do not how well she will be able to recover form her injuries' that have kept her off the ice for some time now. At least with the current JRs all we need is 2 or 3 to be able to stay fit and adjust to SRs that can push each other.

Reverie

On the Ice
Question: If you skate in the senior category n your sectionals and you come in the top three does this mean that for Skate Canada Challenge and Nationals you can only compete as a senior?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Question: If you skate in the senior category n your sectionals and you come in the top three does this mean that for Skate Canada Challenge and Nationals you can only compete as a senior?
I think skaters sign up for seniors or juniors on their path to Canadian Nationals from the beginning whether or not they do sectionals or Challenge (as some get byes). I am not sure ranking has anything to do with anything, besides that to keep going on, a skater needs to place within the top XX skaters...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Very sad for Sandrine and Quentin hammered by the tech panel and judges while fighting for a spot at JGPF.

Déjà vu ...

Sackie

Medalist
And since the RD was their strong suit it is not looking good for the Free Dance and I am sure it has shaken their confidence a lot too. And with the same TEC panel for the Free - I can see them not scoring even close to what they did at their 1st event - which could even have them dropping lower.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very sad for Sandrine and Quentin hammered by the tech panel and judges while fighting for a spot at JGPF.

Déjà vu ...
G/T achieved 0 key points, while all of the teams ahead of them got 4-6 of the 8 key points.

As for the judges, there was no Canadian judge on the panel for the RD, although there were Korean, Czech and US judges.
On the FD panel, two new judges will be added: CAN and ITA, replacing KOR and SVK.

I looked up the tech panel for the Latvia event, where G/T won the silver medal. Seems Lauren SENFT was the TS there.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
G/T achieved 0 key points, while all of the teams ahead of them got 4-6 of the 8 key points.

As for the judges, there was no Canadian judge on the panel for the RD, although there were Korean, Czech and US judges.
On the FD panel, two new judges will be added: CAN and ITA, replacing KOR and SVK.

I looked up the tech panel for the Latvia event, where G/T won the silver medal. Seems Lauren SENFT was the TS there.
GT have scored well on the RD all season.. even in a summer event where they finished first ahead of Bashynska Beaumont... so to me, that is very uncanny that they scored so poorly...

Status
Not open for further replies.