2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I was rather surprised myself that there were no Canadian Women listed for Challenge Cup in The Netherlands. Madeline had a break through skate there some years ago (in 2020, she was third then) right before the pandemic.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was rather surprised myself that there were no Canadian Women listed for Challenge Cup in The Netherlands. Madeline had a break through skate there some years ago (in 2020, she was third then) right before the pandemic.
Yeah, I'm also surprised that SC hasn't any skaters in any discipline out to a post-Nationals comp (besides the Championships). I feel like they normally send at least a couple juniors or advanced novices out.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'm rather surprised that nobody is talking about Sara-Maude Dupuis, who had a splendid SP at 4CC (slowly catching up, haven't seen the free yet). Her presentation needs polish, but I thought she did amazingly well. She looked like she was enjoying herself, whereas poor Maddie couldn't even smile for the audience at the end.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm rather surprised that nobody is talking about Sara-Maude Dupuis, who had a splendid SP at 4CC (slowly catching up, haven't seen the free yet). Her presentation needs polish, but I thought she did amazingly well. She looked like she was enjoying herself, whereas poor Maddie couldn't even smile for the audience at the end.
We mentioned her in various threads...if you liked her sp, yoh are in for a treat in the lp. Go sara maude

rain

Record Breaker
poor Maddie couldn't even smile for the audience at the end.
Just a general note I'd give to all skaters: even if you've had a bad performance, don't drop your arms and shake your head and slump your shoulders at the end — it just signals to the judges that you think it was a disaster, which is stupid thing to do. They may not have thought it was that bad. Don't give them permission to mark you down. I've seen way too many skaters do this lately. This is the time to put on your game face!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just a general note I'd give to all skaters: even if you've had a bad performance, don't drop your arms and shake your head and slump your shoulders at the end — it just signals to the judges that you think it was a disaster, which is stupid thing to do. They may not have thought it was that bad. Don't give them permission to mark you down. I've seen way too many skaters do this lately. This is the time to put on your game face!
i agree on the principle... but in this situation, there was nothing Maddie could have done at that point. Let's just hope that Maddie doesn't become the new Roman, so much talent, so many qualities but iffy performances because of nerves... :(

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is important for skaters to keep their emotions under control when they have had a disappointing outing. They should remember that what happened was a performance, even if it was flawed. Whatever happened in the performance, whatever character or mood was displayed should continue on until the exit from the ice.

When actors have on-stage mistakes they don't act embarrassed or look distraught. They stay in character and continue on, until the end of the scene.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Four things here :

1) this is a general topic... maybe it can be discussed in the Edge...
2) I agree on principle with keeping some composure in the hope of not sending messages to judges that it's okay not to score them well after a lukewarm performance... BUT
3) I don't think any of these athletes need to be kept in the cage of "staying in character" They are athletes and they are competing. Huge adrenaline. Consequences... When I am performing, if I make mistakes, most likely, nobody will notice because we are trained to minimize their impact and well, yes, the piece is bigger than a tiny mistake... so we focus on the art... but there is absolutely no harm... Not only physical because i have certainly never falling on my butt while performing :) but also, people are there to enjoy a good performance and they get that.... I can predict the outcome of my performances much easier than athletes... I am not competing against anyone. There are no rankings and results... or incidence on the prize money... I get paid the same whether I make a tiny mistake or not... I don't think it's fair comparing a figure skating competition... especially as there are very few of them in a year (several at most) to actors, or musicians who can perform the same concert/play 20 times in 2-3 months...
4) Other athletes in many other sports express themselves eloquently... for instance tennis... Why should figure skatiers be demonized for doing so? I remember people criticizing Sota for fist pumping... Fans are very harsh for no reason... and actually, Keegan, a fan favourite didn't receive ill comments for celebrating his LP "with" the crowd... I think it's very old fashioned and archaic to expect figure skaters to be contained in the "lets' keep in character" box... Some skaters do it... and it can be marvelous, like Piper and Paul often do... but if it's not their cup of tea, I don't think it's fair to impose it to anyone. Maddie is very candid. On the moment, she felt like expressing her disappointment... I don't think she should be overly criticized about it.. It's like as if people are asking figure skaters to be some sort of mirage of themselves. They are young humans, sometimes in their late teens or early twenties... I say, give skaters a break... Let them be... Let them genuinely express themselves...if it suits them... or not, if it doesn't suit them.

Sackie

Medalist
It seems that since the hay days of Gabby, Kaetlyn, Alaine and somewhat Veronik, Skate Canada has given up on our ladies. They seem to only focus on Maddie. And as 4everchan has pointed out this has put way too much pressure on Maddie. And as we saw at 4CC there are other CAN women who can outskate and beat Maddie.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
As part of the viewing audience I completely understand Maddie’s dejection at finish knowing that judges may see it differently. She had courage under pressure. Skaters are fortunate to have supportive audiences and skaters skate for them as well as for judges.. Maddie definitely does, likely hates to disappoint. I really love her programs this year and am a firm fan.
Speaking of mistakes in performance I recall one memorable instance: I had attended the summer evening performance of The Tempest at Shakespeare On The Common, Boston MA, my favorite WS play, in open air, Heaven.. the actor who played Prospero was well respected in theater circles, a consummate professional. About half way through he was speaking alone onstage, front and center, and suddenly stopped and went silent. He held up his finger to the audience “wait”, walked to the back of the stage, turned away from the audience… a low gasp ran thru us and we fell silent watching. After a minute he returned to stage front center and picked up the soliloquy where he left off. A soft cheer went thru the crowd.. his only judge.. and at the end we gave him a standing ovation.
Such moments reminds us, tho remarkable, performers are human and wonderful at what they do and we are privileged to witness.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It seems that since the hay days of Gabby, Kaetlyn, Alaine and somewhat Veronik, Skate Canada has given up on our ladies. They seem to only focus on Maddie. And as 4everchan has pointed out this has put way too much pressure on Maddie. And as we saw at 4CC there are other CAN women who can outskate and beat Maddie.
i don't think it will last though... it's like they had written out a plan for this year... and didn't expect things to happen this way
1) Gabby injured
2) Maddie having a tough season
3) Other women stepping it up...

Next season : Kaiya wil be favoured.. I predict it here :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
IMO, Kaiya should have won THIS year.
Did you watch Nationals?
Kaiya didn't skate well in the SP. She did brilliantly in the LP but Maddie did enough and does deserve better PCS marks. I think Kaiya has more potential but she needs to work on her spin levels and overall presentation. She is entertaining and full of joy, but she will do better when she will add more depth to her presentation.
I don't think it was a "wuzrobbed" moment.

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Four things here :

1) this is a general topic... maybe it can be discussed in the Edge...
2) I agree on principle with keeping some composure in the hope of not sending messages to judges that it's okay not to score them well after a lukewarm performance... BUT
3) I don't think any of these athletes need to be kept in the cage of "staying in character" They are athletes and they are competing. Huge adrenaline. Consequences... When I am performing, if I make mistakes, most likely, nobody will notice because we are trained to minimize their impact and well, yes, the piece is bigger than a tiny mistake... so we focus on the art... but there is absolutely no harm... Not only physical because i have certainly never falling on my butt while performing :) but also, people are there to enjoy a good performance and they get that.... I can predict the outcome of my performances much easier than athletes... I am not competing against anyone. There are no rankings and results... or incidence on the prize money... I get paid the same whether I make a tiny mistake or not... I don't think it's fair comparing a figure skating competition... especially as there are very few of them in a year (several at most) to actors, or musicians who can perform the same concert/play 20 times in 2-3 months...
4) Other athletes in many other sports express themselves eloquently... for instance tennis... Why should figure skatiers be demonized for doing so? I remember people criticizing Sota for fist pumping... Fans are very harsh for no reason... and actually, Keegan, a fan favourite didn't receive ill comments for celebrating his LP "with" the crowd... I think it's very old fashioned and archaic to expect figure skaters to be contained in the "lets' keep in character" box... Some skaters do it... and it can be marvelous, like Piper and Paul often do... but if it's not their cup of tea, I don't think it's fair to impose it to anyone. Maddie is very candid. On the moment, she felt like expressing her disappointment... I don't think she should be overly criticized about it.. It's like as if people are asking figure skaters to be some sort of mirage of themselves. They are young humans, sometimes in their late teens or early twenties... I say, give skaters a break... Let them be... Let them genuinely express themselves...if it suits them... or not, if it doesn't suit them.
I'm sorry my minor remark about Maddie started a critical conversation. I didn't mean to criticize her; I felt bad for her.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm sorry my minor remark about Maddie started a critical conversation. I didn't mean to criticize her; I felt bad for her.
No worries... i feel bad for Maddie too. I hope she finds her drive again. I think it is okay to be critical of skaters when it comes from a place of support and good intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.