2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, the Senior Grand Prix Circuit has ended. We have three entries that qualified for the Grand Prix Finals and they are all medal contenders.

Ice Dance - I think Canada leads the world in this segment. We placed 4 dance teams in the top ten standings.
1) Piper & Paul - I love their two programs and they are now the favourites to win the gold at Worlds.
3) Laurence & Nikolaj - they caused an upset with their NHK win. I see them placing fourth or fifth at Worlds. I see the British team, as better due to the free skate program. But, they could sneak into podium
7) Marjorie & Zachary - The steady #3 team for Canada
10) Marie-Jade @ Romain - makes it 4 teams from Canada in the top ten and solidifies Canada as the top country in this discipline

Pairs
3) Deanne & Maxime - They are isolated as the number 3 team in the world this year. I love them. I’m hoping they can break the 200 mark
8) Brook & Benjamin - A solid Junior team entering the Senior ranks; could play a vital role to allow Canada three entries for this discipline
15) Kelly Ann & Loucas - they got a bronze medal at one of their events. Good year for them

Men
14) Keegan Messing
15) Roman Sadovsky
What can I say…. They have a quad and they have artistry. But, they sure are inconsistent cactus boys. They finished the season with the same number of points
21) Stephen Gogolev
22) Wesley Chiu
The 4th and 5th place finishers from Junior Worlds round out the Men

Ladies
17) Madeline Schizas - She scored 180+ at both of her events. But, looked strong in Finland. I just wish she nailed the final 2A with a 3T combo instead of a 1A. At least she has the minimums for going to Worlds
26) Gabrielle Daleman - Not more needs to be said. Her 3T 3T combo is amazing. She is an Olympic Champion. Waiting for her to get back to her old form…

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well you forgot my son Conrad (and some of our other dance teams, most notably Shane and Carolane who did have a good event after a series of bad ones in Espoo with a 6th place) ... but it's okay... he didn't earn any points... :(

kenboy123

On the Ice
I can’t remember when the last time we didn’t have 3 worlds spots for dance, but…it makes me sad that Marjorie/Zachary will miss worlds was…we kinda “flopped” in dance last season for our standards…but dance is once again very strong for Canada again…

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
well you forgot my son Conrad (and some of our other dance teams, most notably Shane and Carolane who did have a good event after a series of bad ones in Espoo with a 6th place) ... but it's okay... he didn't earn any points... :(
Sorry. Your son Conrad was unimpressive to me at both of his events. Not worth mentioning… 🫣
I just listed the top 2-4 contenders leading the way for Canada in figure skating, for each of the disciplines.

rain

Record Breaker
Well, the Senior Grand Prix Circuit has ended. We have three entries that qualified for the Grand Prix Finals and they are all medal contenders.

Ice Dance - I think Canada leads the world in this segment. We placed 4 dance teams in the top ten standings.
1) Piper & Paul - I love their two programs and they are now the favourites to win the gold at Worlds.
3) Laurence & Nikolaj - they caused an upset with their NHK win. I see them placing fourth or fifth at Worlds. I see the British team, as better due to the free skate program. But, they could sneak into podium
7) Marjorie & Zachary - The steady #3 team for Canada
10) Marie-Jade @ Romain - makes it 4 teams from Canada in the top ten and solidifies Canada as the top country in this discipline

Pairs
3) Deanne & Maxime - They are isolated as the number 3 team in the world this year. I love them. I’m hoping they can break the 200 mark
8) Brook & Benjamin - A solid Junior team entering the Senior ranks; could play a vital role to allow Canada three entries for this discipline
15) Kelly Ann & Loucas - they got a bronze medal at one of their events. Good year for them

Men
14) Keegan Messing
15) Roman Sadovsky
What can I say…. They have a quad and they have artistry. But, they sure are inconsistent cactus boys. They finished the season with the same number of points
21) Stephen Gogolev
22) Wesley Chiu
The 4th and 5th place finishers from Junior Worlds round out the Men

Ladies
17) Madeline Schizas - She scored 180+ at both of her events. But, looked strong in Finland. I just wish she nailed the final 2A with a 3T combo instead of a 1A. At least she has the minimums for going to Worlds
26) Gabrielle Daleman - Not more needs to be said. Her 3T 3T combo is amazing. She is an Olympic Champion. Waiting for her to get back to her old form…
Dance:
It is a crime that Canada can only send two teams to worlds. Lajoie/Lagha really should be there, and that's to say nothing of Lauriault/le Gac, who have one of the most entertaining free skates this season. I guess Four Continents will be their worlds. I am beyond excited about Gilles/Poirier this season.

Pairs:
Having just watched the pairs competition from the Finland GP, I have to say that Canada's pairs program is actually looking pretty strong, lol, not something I would have said at the beginning of the season. Deanna/Maxime are favourites to medal at worlds, and our up and coming crop looks pretty good when compared to the rest of the world.

Men:
Both Messing and Sadovsky underperformed on the grand prix, there's no way around it. After seeing Gogolev's free skate at his last GP, I think he's in there for a spot for worlds. Messing and Sadovsky are both totally unreliable at this point.

Women:
Schizas looked like the fighter she is in her free skate in Finland. If she can bring more of that, I think she'll be fine. She's still the best Canada has by a long way, but this GP season was an opportunity she did not capitalize on. But I'm not giving up on her yet.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry. Your son Conrad was unimpressive to me at both of his events. Not worth mentioning… 🫣
I just listed the top 2-4 contenders leading the way for Canada in figure skating, for each of the disciplines.
wahhhhhhh not worth mentioning? and you mentioned the junior boys... ?

The reality is that you went with seasons worlds standings... which is earned by accumulating ranking points... and that is not necessarily the best way to look at these things....Scores are really the way to look at this (even with different panels from event to event)... because ranking points definitely vary in function of who else is competing and how they do so.

Simple example... who is the better team ? Laurin/Ethier who won bronze at SKAM or Brooke and Ben after SCI with a 4th place? In a tougher field, Laurin/Ethier didn't do as well and placed below Brooke and Ben at SCI. And by the way, you shouldn't omit Trennt and Lia when talking about pairs..

For men, the reality is that they all underperformed.... none of them managed to do two clean programs
Keegan has scored 250 in SCI, the best performance all around for our men.

Roman, Stephen, Wesley, in their best outings are close to one another with in the 219-225 range.

then from 195-210 you have Conrad at Skate Canada, then his second outing which was a bit higher (above 200) but you also have the worse performances of some of the others as well... including Keegan, yes Keegan at only 205 in Espoo... and Stephen at 210)

If we were to do an average of both GPs, our men all range from close to 200 to 225... and that is not impressive.

Also, Conrad is on par with Stephen and Wesley in SPs, his best is 73, which is 1-2 points better than the other two. Keegan managed only 79 in SCI and 80 this weekend. The only good SP was Roman's which was followed by a disaster skate the next day... at Nebelhorn, same thing... Roman did a briliant SP but then his LP was not so good.. again a finish in the 220s... Keegan had only a 74 SP...but a great LP to win it but the total score was 244...

So, let's be fair, none of the men deserve a special mention here and they are pretty much all average in the SP. (one great outing by Roman.. just to break the rule) The problem for Conrad, he hasn't yet delivered a good LP... but let's not forget he has changed coaches and has less experience than the others.. I see him progress and honestly, the learning curve is slow but it's rising.. Keegan and Roman lately, roller coaster ride I'd rather not be on.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Dance:
It is a crime that Canada can only send two teams to worlds. Lajoie/Lagha really should be there, and that's to say nothing of Lauriault/le Gac, who have one of the most entertaining free skates this season. I guess Four Continents will be their worlds. I am beyond excited about Gilles/Poirier this season.

Pairs:
Having just watched the pairs competition from the Finland GP, I have to say that Canada's pairs program is actually looking pretty strong, lol, not something I would have said at the beginning of the season. Deanna/Maxime are favourites to medal at worlds, and our up and coming crop looks pretty good when compared to the rest of the world.

Men:
Both Messing and Sadovsky underperformed on the grand prix, there's no way around it. After seeing Gogolev's free skate at his last GP, I think he's in there for a spot for worlds. Messing and Sadovsky are both totally unreliable at this point.

Women:
Schizas looked like the fighter she is in her free skate in Finland. If she can bring more of that, I think she'll be fine. She's still the best Canada has by a long way, but this GP season was an opportunity she did not capitalize on. But I'm not giving up on her yet.
this is more the kind of analysis i would provide.

Dance : not sure that La/Le will end up in 4CC... in a non-olympic year, Canada should send the top 3 to 4CC... especially since the top 2 will need the points for a favourable skating order... which in ice dance is mandatory.

Pairs : agreed !

Men : agreed ! Gogolev has shown the best LP lately.

Women : i think Madeline is indeed getting the mileage she needed.. it will be interesting to see her at golden spin

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
wahhhhhhh not worth mentioning? and you mentioned the junior boys... ?

The reality is that you went with seasons worlds standings... which is earned by accumulating ranking points... and that is not necessarily the best way to look at these things....Scores are really the way to look at this (even with different panels from event to event)... because ranking points definitely vary in function of who else is competing and how they do so.

Simple example... who is the better team ? Laurin/Ethier who won bronze at SKAM or Brooke and Ben after SCI with a 4th place? In a tougher field, Laurin/Ethier didn't do as well and placed below Brooke and Ben at SCI. And by the way, you shouldn't omit Trennt and Lia when talking about pairs..

For men, the reality is that they all underperformed.... none of them managed to do two clean programs
Keegan has scored 250 in SCI, the best performance all around for our men.

Roman, Stephen, Wesley, in their best outings are close to one another with in the 219-225 range.

then from 195-210 you have Conrad at Skate Canada, then his second outing which was a bit higher (above 200) but you also have the worse performances of some of the others as well... including Keegan, yes Keegan at only 205 in Espoo... and Stephen at 210)

If we were to do an average of both GPs, our men all range from close to 200 to 225... and that is not impressive.

Also, Conrad is on par with Stephen and Wesley in SPs, his best is 73, which is 1-2 points better than the other two. Keegan managed only 79 in SCI and 80 this weekend. The only good SP was Roman's which was followed by a disaster skate the next day... at Nebelhorn, same thing... Roman did a briliant SP but then his LP was not so good.. again a finish in the 220s... Keegan had only a 74 SP...but a great LP to win it but the total score was 244...

So, let's be fair, none of the men deserve a special mention here and they are pretty much all average in the SP. (one great outing by Roman.. just to break the rule) The problem for Conrad, he hasn't yet delivered a good LP... but let's not forget he has changed coaches and has less experience than the others.. I see him progress and honestly, the learning curve is slow but it's rising.. Keegan and Roman lately, roller coaster ride I'd rather not be on.
I went with the Grand Prix Standings, not the World Rankings. So, just the accumulation of points earned by Canadians over their respective, at most, two GP Events.

Also, I agree with you in regards to Lia and Trennt. I have a feeling they will be on the team for Worlds. But, they have yet to debut internationally. I’m looking forward to their debut at Golden Spin and to watch Nadeau at the Challenge event next week.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I went with the Grand Prix Standings, not the World Rankings. So, just the accumulation of points earned by Canadians over their respective, at most, two GP Events.

Also, I agree with you in regards to Lia and Trennt. I have a feeling they will be on the team for Worlds. But, they have yet to debut internationally. I’m looking forward to their debut at Golden Spin and to watch Nadeau at the Challenge event next week.
i know... this is exactly why i said you need to look at the scores... grand prix standings are used to qualify for GPF... that's what they are for... what you did is evaluate the performance of our athletes on the GP ... points are not given to the lower ranks... but depending on the field, the lowest in one event could be much higher in another event and earned points... what matters more is what was achieved and that is measured by scores.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Congratulations, Canada 🎾
Italians made a 🤯 with their doubles choice (so many great other options...)
but well deserved!

rain

Record Breaker
you shouldn't omit Trennt and Lia when talking about pairs..
From the domestic outing I saw, even though they are still clearly a work in progress, they could have done better than most of the teams at the Finland GP. It will be very interesting to see them at an international with more on the line. But I'd say they'll definitely be in the mix for a place on the Canadian podium behind Deanna and Max, along with the two young medallists from the GP.

this is more the kind of analysis i would provide.

Dance : not sure that La/Le will end up in 4CC... in a non-olympic year, Canada should send the top 3 to 4CC... especially since the top 2 will need the points for a favourable skating order... which in ice dance is mandatory.
I had forgotten that G/P and F-B/S are likely to go to Four Continents this year. It's really a shame for Lauriault/le Gac that they're having such a great year, and yet likely won't get any really big comps.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Congratulations, Canada 🎾
Italians made a 🤯 with their doubles choice (so many great other options...)
but well deserved!
Simone was injured apparently... but yeah... I woke up with the news of the Davis cup win... and was watching the recap with excitement.. then turned to football... and Canada was leading 1-0.. I was ecstatic... but my happiness was short lived...

Sackie

Medalist
I had forgotten that G/P and F-B/S are likely to go to Four Continents this year. It's really a shame for Lauriault/le Gac that they're having such a great year, and yet likely won't get any really big comps.
That is why they should have been sent to Golden Skate; to get more experience in front of International Judges and to also gain more world ranking points. Also think Caroline and Shane should have been sent. They made a big leap mark wise between their 2 GPs so another event might have done them good. CAN has a very strong Dance field at the moment. They had 8 teams in GP events (plus another who withdrew) and another 2 in B events. And we medaled in all but one event. In fact in GP events our dancers won 3 of the 6 titles.
this is exactly why i said you need to look at the scores... grand prix standings are used to qualify for GPF
Especially this year with so many changes to the GP line ups esp in the Pairs. Had Brooke/Ben got two different events (say France And Finland) they may have made the GPF.

Maddie is on the right course and probably had she had better Free Skates in her other events she probably would have scored even higher. But like with most CAN skaters once they start slipping it takes longer for the judges to start rewarding them for good skates.

And just not sure what to make of the CAN men this season. Roman reminds me so much of Shandu. Judges are so willing to reward him when he skates well but they will also sink him when he doesn't. We do have some good young ones but they just do not seem able to put together two solid full package programs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think the future for men will be gogolev and chiu. However, they are young and it will take a couple more years.
I have detached myself from Roman. I am too old to live such a roller coaster ride with him :)
As Conrad is my "son" I cannot do anything but offer him my unconditional support. However, he has shown steady improvement since moving with Ravi so I am remaining hopeful.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Does anyone think Canadian nationals will matter this year as to who will make the worlds team this season or do you think the World team is largely decided already???…

I happen to think it’s already decided and there will be no suspense in that regard…

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone think Canadian nationals will matter this year as to who will make the worlds team this season or do you think the World team is largely decided already???…

I happen to think it’s already decided and there will be no suspense in that regard…
Who do you think is in the team? Just curious

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I don't think it's decided for the men. Also pairs to an extent – it seems very likely imo that Pereira/Michaud will get a spot, but seeing as how they've only done one domestic competition and don't have any minimums yet (will get a chance at Golden Spin), I don't think you can call that decided. They still need to do well at Nationals to get further assignments for sure. The other two are more decided, especially dance.

For Junior Worlds, the only discipline that's pretty decided is pairs, since we have 3 spots and 3 teams with their minimums (and if another team does really well at Nats, they might give them a chance to get the minimums and go still). In dance, Bashynska/Beaumont are in for sure, and Gauthier/Thieren are pretty likely based on JGP results, but the 3rd spot is quite open. For the men and women there's no clear team (3 mens spots, 1 women).

kenboy123

On the Ice
Who do you think is in the team? Just curious

Dance - Gilles/Poirier, Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen
Women - Schizas
Pairs - Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, McIntosh/Mimar, Pereira/Michaud
Men - Messing, Sadovsky

I don't see them picking anyone else except for these, I'm just not sure if every single one of them has hit their technical minimums yet...I know Pereira/Michaud haven't really competed yet, so they haven't ... but I'm assuming everyone else has the required minimum TES...

rain

Record Breaker
I don't think it's decided for the men. Also pairs to an extent – it seems very likely imo that Pereira/Michaud will get a spot, but seeing as how they've only done one domestic competition and don't have any minimums yet (will get a chance at Golden Spin), I don't think you can call that decided. They still need to do well at Nationals to get further assignments for sure. The other two are more decided, especially dance.
I agree about pairs and men not being decided. I think Sadovsky and Messing were so unreliable at their GPs that Gogolev has a real shot at the men's team.

As for pairs, of course Stellato-Dudeck/Deschamps are in. After that I think nationals performances are going to make a big difference. McIntosh/Mimar may have an edge for a spot, but I think they still need to prove they deserve a spot, and both Goldenspin and nationals will be key for Pereira/Michaud. Don't count out Laurin/Éthier for a spot. I don't think anyone can rest on their laurels, aside from Deanna and Max.

In dance the team will be Piper and Paul and FB/S. There's a near zero chance they don't go with the two teams who have won grand prixs this season and are going to the final. Sad for Lajoie/Lagha. Hope they can keep hungry and continue to perform, even knowing worlds is most likely out of their grasp this year. Has to be frustrating, especially when they seemed to have the better momentum in the early season.

As for women, the only choice is really Maddie Schizas.

Status
Not open for further replies.