2022-23 Grand Prix Finalists: Thoughts? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Grand Prix Finalists: Thoughts?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Wonderful these previews. Recommended reading for anyone, and especially of you want to catch up.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
this is where we disagree I guess. I do think that Deanna and Max window is slightly higher than the 3 other teams. We will have to see if the pressure of getting a medal at GPF will be have an effect or not on them.. and if that effect will be positive or not.
I agree with this. That's what the scores from this season show. All the other three teams have their top score above SD/D's lowest, but SD/D have the best top score (and best lowest score) and are the only team to have hit 190, which they did twice. So all these teams are quite close, but Deanna and Max are a little ahead. Doesn't mean they'll be the one to medal at the Final, but they are the most likely imo.

Scores:

Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 192.74 (CS Nebelhorn), 197.89 (GP SA), 185.84 (GPdF)
Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 189.22 (CS US Classic), 174.72 (GPdF), 184.21 (Warsaw), 189.74 (GP Espoo)
Chan/Howe – 181.81 (CS US Classic), 186.48 (GP SC), 187.49 (GP NHK)
Conti/Macii – 170.19 (CS Lombardia), 177.87 (CS Nebelhorn), 186.18 (GP SC), 184.19 (GP MK JWT)

Average score (CS and GP)
  1. Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 192.16
  2. Chan/Howe – 185.26
  3. Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 184.47
  4. Conti/Macii – 179.61
Average score (GP)
  1. Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 191.87
  2. Chan/Howe – 186.99
  3. Conti/Macii – 185.19
  4. Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 182.23
Best score
  1. Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 197.89
  2. Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 189.74
  3. Chan/Howe – 187.49
  4. Conti/Macii – 186.18
Scoring ranges
  • Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 185.84 to 197.89
  • Chan/Howe – 181.81 to 187.49
  • Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 174.72 to 189.74
  • Conti/Macii – 170.19 to 186.18

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree with this. That's what the scores from this season show. All the other three teams have their top score above SD/D's lowest, but SD/D have the best top score (and best lowest score) and are the only team to have hit 190, which they did twice. So all these teams are quite close, but Deanna and Max are a little ahead. Doesn't mean they'll be the one to medal at the Final, but they are the most likely imo.

Scores:

Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 192.74 (CS Nebelhorn), 197.89 (GP SA), 185.84 (GPdF)
Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 189.22 (CS US Classic), 174.72 (GPdF), 184.21 (Warsaw), 189.74 (GP Espoo)
Chan/Howe – 181.81 (CS US Classic), 186.48 (GP SC), 187.49 (GP NHK)
Conti/Macii – 170.19 (CS Lombardia), 177.87 (CS Nebelhorn), 186.18 (GP SC), 184.19 (GP MK JWT)

Average score (CS and GP)
  1. Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 192.16
  2. Chan/Howe – 185.26
  3. Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 184.47
  4. Conti/Macii – 179.61
Average score (GP)
  1. Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 191.87
  2. Chan/Howe – 186.99
  3. Conti/Macii – 185.19
  4. Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 182.23
Best score
  1. Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 197.89
  2. Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 189.74
  3. Chan/Howe – 187.49
  4. Conti/Macii – 186.18
Scoring ranges
  • Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps – 185.84 to 197.89
  • Chan/Howe – 181.81 to 187.49
  • Ghilardi/Ambrosini – 174.72 to 189.74
  • Conti/Macii – 170.19 to 186.18
this is exactly how I had looked at it when I made the comment... thanks for posting all the details. I was too lazy to do so :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miura/Kihara and Knierim/Fraser have scored over 200 in both their GP events, while SD/D have yet to reach 200.

SD/D's total score is 383.73, 23.51 points lower than K/F's total score, and a whopping 44.45 points lower than M/K's total score.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Miura/Kihara and Knierim/Fraser have scored over 200 in both their GP events, while SD/D have yet to reach 200.

SD/D's total score is 383.73, 23.51 points lower than K/F's total score, and a whopping 44.45 points lower than M/K's total score.
I think eveyone knows this.

The current discussions are comparing S-D/D with the other three contenders. Some people think S-D/D are clear favorites for the bronze medal, while some think all four of the teams who are not the clear top two have a good chance of taking the bronze.

How good the top two are is irrelevant when comparing "the other four".

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was out of the loop for a while as far as FS is concerned and I have a question. What was the reasoning behind cutting down the number of GP finalists to 5 teams/skaters per discipline? And when was that change made? I am not a fan of it as it means less figure skating for me to watch and less suspense when it comes to results.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was out of the loop for a while as far as FS is concerned and I have a question. What was the reasoning behind cutting down the number of GP finalists to 5 teams/skaters per discipline? And when was that change made? I am not a fan of it as it means less figure skating for me to watch and less suspense when it comes to results.

It's 6 per discipline. As far as I know, it's been quite a while that this was the case.

Last year there were plans to change it (less pairs and more in other disciplines?). I believe that was related to COVID and the GPF being in Japan. This year is back to normal. @ladyjane is correct!

@Ares Are you confused by the fact that the prediction contest is calling for contestants to pick the top 5? I noticed that too, though I did know there were 6 entries in each discipline.

Dawn825

Medalist
I can't even explain how excited I am for the ladies event. I thought about putting my predictions in alphabetical order, just because I have literally no idea how things will turn out. But Isabeau in first seemed like a stretch lol. I think reputationally she's one of the easier ones to leave off the podium if everyone skates well. There's that messy combo to contend with, but I don't think she's fallen at all this season or made mistakes on any other elements, so she's got a great shot of medaling. The thought of her beating K,L or Y would have really bugged me at the start of the season, but I've noticed that she's doing much more and more difficult footwork than anyone else in both her programs. I think she should really be rewarded for that in PCS, though her ice coverage is rough and she does a lot of crossovers, and I'll be happy for her if she medals.
Rinka unfortunately has almost no shot at a medal unless she's perfect and others are a mess. Her scores have just been too all over the place. I hope she does skate clean though, I'd rather see her on the Japanese world team than Rion. Obviously the triple axels make her a dark horse. She has the best ice coverage, but her SP is empty of choreography and her FS is empty of footwork, so I don't see a reason to give hold her up in PCS.
Mai is a tough one for me honestly. I was very emotional when she won in Sheffield, less so in Espoo. I appreciate her story but similarly to Isabeau, it's too hard for me to see how her jumping stacks up in any way against K/L/Y. PCS wise, while the musical moments she does have in the short are memorable, the program is technically very bare of footork or chreography. The long has the opposite problem, it has much more content but none of it it memorable, except maybe the Kwan spiral. And the step sequence is not pretty. Overall while she has a great chance of medaling, it's personally not on my "must-have list". Also even with her 2 golds its hard to see her taking home the top prize in this field.
Yelim has so much grace and poise and posture and lightness, I remember seeing her at Korean nationals in 2021 and thinking "this girl clearly spent the entire quartantine in ballet class." However. Her programs are shockingly empty, almost nothing but crossovers and looking pretty. In both programs she's doing less choreography and less footwork than almost everyone else. Yes the Ina Bauers are beautiful, but they can't hold up an entire PCS score. She gets credit for her carriage and ice coverage, but in my opinion should be 5th or 6th in PCS in both programs. If she wins I'll be happy for her but not thrilled.
I really thought Loena' medal at worlds was going to be a nice moment in time for her, and it's been very exciting to be proven wrong. She seems to really believe that's she's the best and can be the champion, and I'm starting to believe it too. I think if she's clean the win is hers, small errors don't seem to really be holding her back, the judges are totally with her. Her SP has little ice coverage or footwork, the FS has more footwork but also a ton of crosovers. Both programs have a enough identifiable choreography that I'd have her second or third PCS wise, and will be shocked and disappointed if she doesn't at least get silver. The turned in free leg is a problem though.
Kaori is a wild card. Her jumping at it's best is the best, but her combo has been a hot mess. She has the reputation to overcome one big mistake, but not more than that I think. She's probably aiming for a silver here, it's difficult to imagine she'll be flawless. A win for her would be my dream though. her ice coverage and speed is great, she barely does any crossovers. She's average in the diffcult footwork department, and the FS is kinda empty, but she clearly wins on PCS in the short, so if she can skate reasonably clean there she should have a buffer going into the free.
I hope for clean skates but more than that I hope for fair judging. It's easy to root for all of them and appreciate everyone's work and work ethic. I have no cynicism, resignation, or grief for the sport going into the final, this GP series has been unpredictable and a joy to watch.