2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Status
Not open for further replies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I love Carol and Jon Lane. They are great coaches. And I love the way that, despite being based in Canada for so long, they haven't forgotten where they came from. They take an interest in what is happening in the British Ice Dancing scene, and when they spot up and coming talent, they take them under their wings and nurture it.

The thing that frustrates me is that they all end up skating for Canada. That's one thing that I prefer about the Montréal setup. They also take in talented Ice Dancers from elsewhere the world, but they don't all end up skating for Canada. Most continue to represent their own country.

Ah, I didn't realise that that was the reason. I thought they had just got so frustrated with always playing second-fiddle to Gabrielle and Guillaume. Let's face it, although being team-mates to the stand-out partnership in the world pretty much guarantees you slots, it must be so demoralising to be constantly behind them. Especially for a partnership that is as good as they are. In most countries, they would be the #1 partnership.

Although they are now in a bigger and deeper field, which makes it more difficult to get assignments, at least in Canada they are in a field where they can actually fight with other partnerships of their own level. That way, they are able to gauge where they were at earlier in the season, and work on where they have to improve before doing any international assignments.

It's making them better Ice Dancers. And in the long run, it will be better for them than staying in France.

CaroLiza_fan
both schools are very different. Carol and John create the partnerships and nurture them and develop them.... IAM doesn't create the partnerships usually (with skaters from abroad) . The skaters go to them. If the Lanes had as many teams and as much success as IAM, perhaps some international teams may feel like going there too more often ??? I just don't think it's fair to compare the two schools because they are completely different.

Regarding French Ice dance, it's always been strong... Pretty much every generation they have a great team. At this point in time, if MJ and Romain had no reasons to move to Canada and had stayed there, they would be training hard not to get caught by Lopareva Brissaud, and Demougeot Le Mercier. The field is not as deep in France but there are many strong contenders to push a team like Lauriault Le Gac. It would be worth your time to listen to some of their interviews. They are very clear : their move to Canada is all about establishing their lives in Montreal and not about competition... They love the sport and they have made life choices allowing them to integrate it within their work and study paths... It doesn't seem to me that they are hoping for spots or anything... Playing second fiddles to Guillaume and Gabby is probably better than playing 4th or 5th to Piper and Paul, FSB, Lala, and so on... I like them, but I doubt they will ever be first chair on the Canadian scene, and it seems fine by them :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know. I always assumed Vadym had American citizenship by now. After all, he has been living there for quite a few years.

But, I'm sure he could get Cypriot citizenship pretty easy. Cyprus has been giving out passports hand over fist to anybody and everybody over the years. It's actually become a major scandal.

Yes, Emilea and Vadym were my first thought. But, they were quickly followed by Tiffany Zahorski / Jonathan Guerreiro (Russia); Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs (Canada); Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont (Canada). Maybe even Kaitlin Hawayek / Jean-Luc Baker (USA).

I know all those partnerships include a British skater, but I'm not trying to claim them for us. Honest! For the first three, I was actually thinking more about a country that their partner has a parent from.

That said, I can understand the two highest profile switches to Canada in recent years. It was too difficult for Laurence to get Danish citizenship. And Marie-Jade and Romain thought they were going to have too long a wait to become French #1's.

CaroLiza_fan
I am just curious of why you included Hawayek and Baker? Yes, he was born in England but wasn't even there for a year after, he FTMP considers himself from US and proud "resident" of Washington State where he grew up and first learned to skate when he was 2y/o

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am just curious of why you included Hawayek and Baker? Yes, he was born in England but wasn't even there for a year after, he FTMP considers himself from US and proud "resident" of Washington State where he grew up and first learned to skate when he was 2y/o

Born in Britain to two British parents who both represented Britain in figure skating, but then moved to America to coach after they retired.

If that doesn't qualify Jean-Luc for inclusion as an example, I don't know what does!

I realise that, having lived most of his life in America, he is American. But, he's still British too.

One of my best friends online is in a similar boat. Born in Cyprus to Cypriot parents, she and her family moved to Britain when she was 2 years old. She has now been living in Britain for 60 years. She is British through and through, but she still considers herself Cypriot as well.

CaroLiza_fan

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
a few points here..

: the two teams you mention with British skaters who represent Canada were "created" by Carol Lane. I think it's pretty normal a British coach would have this sort of influence.

and more importantly, Marie-Jade and Romain didn't leave France because of waiting too long to become France's number 1... I mean as if they would have an easier time becoming Canada's number1? They have said that they both work/study and live in Montreal and it feels like home and they want to build their lives in Montreal as Canadians. That's why they made the move. It's actually not about rankings and opportunities because as French number 2 in the past, they would have had many more opportunities, and this year, they would have been already been French number 1. They were not on the podium at Canadian Nationals and will be at 4CC because Piper is still recovering from appendectomy.
Lauriault and Le Gac got the bronze (but yeah, would've been 4th if G/P were there).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Born in Britain to two British parents who both represented Britain in figure skating, but then moved to America to coach after they retired.

If that doesn't qualify Jean-Luc for inclusion as an example, I don't know what does!

I realise that, having lived most of his life in America, he is American. But, he's still British too.

One of my best friends online is in a similar boat. Born in Cyprus to Cypriot parents, she and her family moved to Britain when she was 2 years old. She has now been living in Britain for 60 years. She is British through and through, but she still considers herself Cypriot as well.

CaroLiza_fan
Maybe you should start a thread about the reasons why so many skaters (in your opinion) do not wish to represent Great Britain... perhaps lack of Federation support, ice time, etc etc... the conversation may be interesting but i am afraid it's going to derail this thread (not a mod, no wish to be acting like a mod.. just a suggestion here)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Maybe you should start a thread about the reasons why so many skaters (in your opinion) do not wish to represent Great Britain... perhaps lack of Federation support, ice time, etc etc... the conversation may be interesting but i am afraid it's going to derail this thread (not a mod, no wish to be acting like a mod.. just a suggestion here)

Yeah, I agree about the thread getting derailed. (Sorry about that. I didn't actually expect it to develop into a conversation).

But, it's all old territory - there's nothing new to add. So, let's just wrap up this conversation now.

CaroLiza_fan

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Let’s be real, he’s not vying for 2026.

H/B, G/P, C/P all stand clearly in front. Who knows what C/B are thinking.

Then there is the Browns, P/B, and Vadym and his new partner.

With the way ice dance works outlook for 2026 is slim.
Regarding Wolfkostin/ Chen, that's sad. But maybe they will each find someone with whom prospects work out better? Figure skating is tough and then some! You really have to love the sport to sanely go through all the ups-and-downs.

I've always felt W/C were very talented. But I wasn't that drawn to their skating. There was just something that seemed to be missing, despite their individual talents.

I'm intrigued about the possibility of Nguyen/ Chen. I wonder if they will arrange a tryout. Is Avonley still searching for a partner?

The Browns are very talented and I enjoy watching them. There were some comments in the recent U.S. Nats thread about the Browns needing to work on their speed and power. It makes me wonder if they will be able to fully make a successful transition to top competitiveness in the senior ranks.

I love Pate/Bye too. They have verve and creative energy. But this sport is so fickle, and there simply isn't a lot of opportunities to breakthrough to the top for all the contending talents. IMO, Flores/ Desyatov are a team to watch. I also wonder where McNamara/ Spiridonov and Bratti/ Somerville will end up in this hugely competitive mix of talented U.S. teams.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding Wolfkostin/ Chen, that's sad. But maybe they will each find someone with whom prospects work out better? Figure skating is tough and then some! You really have to love the sport to sanely go through all the ups-and-downs.

I've always felt W/C were very talented. But I wasn't that drawn to their skating. There was just something that seemed to be missing, despite their individual talents.

I've always felt the same. Individual taste plays a part here, but I want the "something extra"

I love Pate/Bye too. They have verve and creative energy. But this sport is so fickle, and there simply isn't a lot of opportunities to breakthrough to the top for all the contending talents. IMO, Flores/ Desyatov are a team to watch. I also wonder where McNamara/ Spiridonov and Bratti/ Somerville will end up in this hugely competitive mix of talented U.S. teams.

(y)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm listing the US couple in the OP using the names the user above wrote, then. If the spelling's wrong or any nicknames were used, please let me know and I'll fix it.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Immediately after her fall at Nationals (and watching his body language as they left the ice), i told those viewing with me that i fully expected that he’d have a different partner next year.

May I suggest … Avonley Nguyen.
This is exactly who I was thinking when I heard the news!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Canadian senior ice dance

Nikolas Wamsteeker is retiring to be an Air Force pilot, Haley Sales is going to continue pursuing ice dance. Good luck to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.