2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Rhythm Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Rhythm Dance

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thoughts from the arena: (1) it's really cold in Nashville today, (2) the arena is not great if you have dietary restrictions, (3) who knew getting level 4 on patters was so easy?

Memorable performances

(1) Koncius/Shchepetov: The first group was kind of rough but this team seems to have potential. I liked their lines and their material seemed thought out. I then saw Marina with them in the k&c and I realized why.

(2) Wolfkostin/Chen: We've seen many Michael Jackson programs over the years but this was one of the better ones. They has several highlight dance moves and the crowd was really into it.

(3) Hawayek/Baker: I was SO excited to finally see my babies in person. I still love them but this isn't my favorite vehicle for them and their skating just isn't as big as some of the top teams. Still, they were very polished other than the twizzle mistake and Jean Luc is very charismatic in person. I have hope as their free is a much better program.

(4) Hubbell/Donohue: If you could give points just based on the warmup they would win. When they move across the ice it's mesmerizing. The flow is crazy. It's like they have fire on their blades so they cut in so much more smoothly than anyone's. The Janet Jackson program has some great moments where you just gasp. However, Maddie made the twizzle error and the crowd wasn't as into their program as they were Chock/Bates.

(5)Green/Parsons: I honestly do not think the crowd gave them enough credit. They probably have one of the best constructed programs in the world this year. They also have some of the best sharp dance moves. The details with the hands that they do and their no touch step sequence is pretty great. If they end up going to the Olympics over my babies I will not be too upset.

(6) Chock/Bates: Their warmup was really underwhelming--their flow wasn't out of this world and Madison had zero spark. BUT, when their program started everything changed. I don't listen to Billie Eillish but their program works. The lifts, Madison's charisma, and Evan's excellent skating get you immersed. Their moves were all really clean and polished and it was the program most of the audience got on their feet for. I still think H/D have more flow but I think Chock and Bates are rightfully in first place today.

Last edited:

taikwan

On the Ice
Just my opinion but....H/D skating to Janet Jackson does not in any way, shape or form illustrate.....not even a smidegeon or aroma ..of....SOUL. That's ok but it's so much on the minus side, for sure, especially compared to Parsons and Green. H/D illustrates white people can't jump. It's stark.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Chock and Bates! 💚🖤 I'm so happy for them! They were on fire today! 🔥

Hard to see H&D and H&B have twizzle errors. Hopefully they'll have stronger free dances. I did not like Kaitlyn's black dress. I wish they'd use their Stayin' Alive costumes instead.

Happy for Green & Parsons though I felt they were still a little nervous today.

My other favorite performance was Wolfkostin & Chen! I just thought they were fully committed and so much fun!

Greta

On the Ice
My in-arena thoughts:

Pattern step levels seemed completely inflated even to me, a non expert.

C/B: though their music isn’t to my personal taste, they performed it really well and the audience loved it. The lift on the music worked very well in person.

H/D: so fast and powerful in person. I’ve never been completely sold on the program and that continues. Zach seems to start the pattern earlier on the ice than the other teams, as if to say that half a rink isn’t enough. Their pattern is big and fast compared to the others. Loved watching them in practice.

H/B: I’m a fan and loved their practices! I think that error happened in warmup too, and honestly afterward they looked slower and less engaging than they’ve looked in practice

G/P: their control stands out to me in person, both in practice and during the rhythm dance.

M/S: they were the biggest surprise after watching practices. They came alive in performance and drew me in. In practices I noticed the technical things more, but they really sold that to the crowd.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Green/Parsons - Moved beyond the blips from earlier this season - it's part of the process. "We are coming into our own and are smoothing out those rough edges."
This team IS really coming into their own and are the future. G/P have earned that third spot IMO. No offense to H/B whom I also love, but Michael and Caroline have really outperformed them this season and have much better programs, not just better, much better. Plus, they were the highest ranked US team in international competition this year. Their RD was fantastic last night and their FD is simply the most moving and creative program any US team has put together this year (or any other I have seen). USFSA should be looking to the future and this team is it. Can't wait for tonight.

rain

Record Breaker
This team IS really coming into their own and are the future. G/P have earned that third spot IMO. No offense to H/B whom I also love, but Michael and Caroline have really outperformed them this season and have much better programs, not just better, much better. Plus, they were the highest ranked US team in international competition this year. Their RD was fantastic last night and their FD is simply the most moving and creative program any US team has put together this year (or any other I have seen). USFSA should be looking to the future and this team is it. Can't wait for tonight.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. Not about G/P being good, but about them having far superior material and skating to H/B. I'd say I'm middling on both teams' RDs this season, and love both of their FDs. I think G/P's is really something special, but H/B's is an absolute masterpiece, and I think they are still the better skaters. The depth of their edge on their one-foot step is second to none in the world.

On another note, I prefer both teams' FDs over Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates's questionable material. Actually I think they are two of the best free dances in the world this year, when many of the free dances of the top teams are disappointing.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. Not about G/P being good, but about them having far superior material and skating to H/B. I'd say I'm middling on both teams' RDs this season, and love both of their FDs. I think G/P's is really something special, but H/B's is an absolute masterpiece, and I think they are still the better skaters. The depth of their edge on their one-foot step is second to none in the world.

On another note, I prefer both teams' FDs over Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates's questionable material. Actually I think they are two of the best free dances in the world this year, when many of the free dances of the top teams are disappointing.

I agree completely. I've been a fan of Hawayek/Baker since 2014 and I think their FD is superlative. I also like Green/Parsons, but they're not quite at the level of Kaitlin and Jean-Luc yet. And I do prefer both of those teams over H/D and C/B.

Who I think might've really regressed is C/P. Perhaps they need more time with their new coaches, but Christina and Anthony seem to be out of sorts somehow.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My in-arena thoughts:

Pattern step levels seemed completely inflated even to me, a non expert.

C/B: though their music isn’t to my personal taste, they performed it really well and the audience loved it. The lift on the music worked very well in person.

H/D: so fast and powerful in person. I’ve never been completely sold on the program and that continues. Zach seems to start the pattern earlier on the ice than the other teams, as if to say that half a rink isn’t enough. Their pattern is big and fast compared to the others. Loved watching them in practice.

H/B: I’m a fan and loved their practices! I think that error happened in warmup too, and honestly afterward they looked slower and less engaging than they’ve looked in practice

G/P: their control stands out to me in person, both in practice and during the rhythm dance.

M/S: they were the biggest surprise after watching practices. They came alive in performance and drew me in. In practices I noticed the technical things more, but they really sold that to the crowd.
The top four teams wre strong. No moving program. Nicley overscored as expected even compared to Russia and specially Canada (GP). That third spot is going to be tight.

rain

Record Breaker
I agree completely. I've been a fan of Hawayek/Baker since 2014 and I think their FD is superlative. I also like Green/Parsons, but they're not quite at the level of Kaitlin and Jean-Luc yet. And I do prefer both of those teams over H/D and C/B.

Who I think might've really regressed is C/P. Perhaps they need more time with their new coaches, but Christina and Anthony seem to be out of sorts somehow.
Yes, C/P aren't in the same conversation anymore. And they used to have an edge over G/P, but this season G/P have very clearly moved ahead of them.

skatemd1

On the Ice

After watching last night I would agree both of these FD programs are great. H/B rose to the occasion beautifully. Still not a huge fan of their RD and feel G/P's is much better, but love both of these teams overall and think they are among the very best.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Just a few thoughts... For the record, I didn't get a chance to watch all the programs, so this is more of a general impression.

None of the programs are particularly memorable in their entirety.

I think the only team that I saw that actually got the subtext of Midnight Blues across was Chock and Bates. Listen, MB is not my favorite pattern by a long shot, but it's NOT a frenetic dance. Tanith says it's like a cat lolling in the sun. I tend to think of it more as the dance equivalent of romantic foreplay (if you pardon the expression). There should be heat, but it's a smoldering heat, not a blaze. I was genuinely shocked that I didn't get that from, of all teams, from H/D, since this pattern is practically dead center in their wheelhouse.

The placements, from what I saw, are correct. And yes, the scoring was inflated. Big surprise: this is Nationals after all.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh - one other observation...

Why on earth is Johnny dressing like a female sitcom/romcom character from the 80s? It's not a good look.