2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
@yesterday the Habs drafted Austrian David Reinbacher in position 5 on the overall NHL league... not many Austrians have been drafted in the first round (only 7). Go white and red flags !

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What I find a bit disappointing : was there a chance that Kelly Ann and Loucas didn't get a second assignment if they didn't get a host spot?

It may have been nice for Emma and Nic to get one GP event... you know...
Yes, there was. Looking at a few teams close to them on the SB list we have:

18. Roscher/Schuster - one assignment
19. Plazas/Fernandez - two assignments, one is a host pick
20. Laurin/Ethier - two assignments, one is a host pick
21. Osipova/Epstein - one assignment
23. Beccari/Guarise - one assignment

SC could have left the spot TBD or given it to Proft/Nadeau and hoped L/E got one as a replacement (they would have a decent chance since they would be near the top of the list, but no guarantees). But I think L/E wouldn't have gotten a 2nd spot now without the host pick. I also would have liked P/N to have a chance, but I see why SC wanted to make sure L/E had two (they did get a GP medal last season).

———

Entries for the NextGen Competition are up. Includes further confirmation of the Fournier/Zhu partnership.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

SC could have left the spot TBD or given it to Proft/Nadeau and hoped L/E got one as a replacement (they would have a decent chance since they would be near the top of the list, but no guarantees). But I think L/E wouldn't have gotten a 2nd spot now without the host pick. I also would have liked P/N to have a chance, but I see why SC wanted to make sure L/E had two (they did get a GP medal last season).

———

Entries for the NextGen Competition are up. Includes further confirmation of the Fournier/Zhu partnership.
where is Edward Vasii ?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

———

Exactly... I would have not given them a host spot to see if they can get 2 spots on their own... SKAM may have wanted them since they are not far and they won a medal there last year ... and if they got stuck with only one spot, then fine give them the TBC. I feel that Nic and Emma deserve a spot and for them, there is pretty much no chance to get one...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Edward Nicholas Vasii, junior Canadian champion... only 16 years old so I am pretty sure that he is not going senior. :)
Not at CQÉ. Not at Next Gen Competition.
Injured? I really like his skating (did ice dance a few years back as well as singles). He has a beautiful 3axel.
I am wondering how he is because, well the last time I really cheered for a Canadian Junior skater (Jo Phan) and saw the potential, well.. you know what happened. Awful injury... So of course, as a crazy fan of skating, I hope history doesn't repeat here but I don't like it when skaters go MIA.

As he is listed at 164cm on the ISU profile, I am thinking growth spurt and hoping he doesn't have issues with that.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don’t like how Canada fared with these selections. I much prefer how Skate America selected their athletes.

Women - I’m glad these chose Schizas and Ruiter. But, the third spot should have been TBD and should have gone to either Fiona or Sara (depending on who is in better shape)
Men - I’m so sad Romsky only gets one event. But, I guess he really didn’t deserve a second event with the way he skated last year.
Pairs - I wish Skate Canada left a TBD spot to allow Emm or Nic an opportunity.

I guess Fiona and Nic/Emm will depend on Challenger events.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don’t like how Canada fared with these selections. I much prefer how Skate America selected their athletes.

Women - I’m glad these chose Schizas and Ruiter. But, the third spot should have been TBD and should have gone to either Fiona or Sara (depending on who is in better shape)
Men - I’m so sad Romsky only gets one event. But, I guess he really didn’t deserve a second event with the way he skated last year.
Pairs - I wish Skate Canada left a TBD spot to allow Emm or Nic an opportunity.

I guess Fiona and Nic/Emm will depend on Challenger events.
ermmm you know that Skate Canada only has power on host spots right... same with SKAM.

I am guessing that Sara-Maude got the nod because of experience.
Men : how can Roman get two events... ? He got what he could get.
Pairs : I agree... I already mentioned it that SKate Canada could have left the 3rd spot TBC and give it to Kelly Ann and Loucas if they didn't get invited for a second spot elsewhere.. BUT... considering how early SCI is in the season... maybe they felt they needed to plan things better... Let's not forget that Canada has 3 pairs for worlds and Emma and Nic, though I think they could become my favourite pairs, are still very new... Loucas and Kelly Ann won a GP medal last year... So it's hard to not give them their spot.
I am not really sure how else, besides putting a couple TBC, SCI could have dealt with this better... the reality is that many of our skaters in singles didn't do well enough last year. When nobody steps it up, it never makes things good...

Now... the good news is that all spots were utilized this year.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Edward Nicholas Vasii, junior Canadian champion... only 16 years old so I am pretty sure that he is not going senior. :)
Not at CQÉ. Not at Next Gen Competition.
Injured? I really like his skating (did ice dance a few years back as well as singles). He has a beautiful 3axel.
I am wondering how he is because, well the last time I really cheered for a Canadian Junior skater (Jo Phan) and saw the potential, well.. you know what happened. Awful injury... So of course, as a crazy fan of skating, I hope history doesn't repeat here but I don't like it when skaters go MIA.

As he is listed at 164cm on the ISU profile, I am thinking growth spurt and hoping he doesn't have issues with that.
pretty much alive and well!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I depressed myself watching videos of Keegan today

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
funny... when I am depressed, i watch videos of Patrick and I feel better ! I guess i am in another phase of grief than you are at this point.

Keegan gave all he had. I admire that.
Yes, you're probably in the acceptance stage...I.....am not. Keegan was very very special. He skated with his whole heart. He reminds me of Elvis Stojko in a way. Like, "I'm not doing things the traditional way, I am doing them my way." And other than the Charlie Chaplain program, which I don't know where that came from, he always had the most interesting music.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, you're probably in the acceptance stage...I.....am not. Keegan was very very special. He skated with his whole heart. He reminds me of Elvis Stojko in a way. Like, "I'm not doing things the traditional way, I am doing them my way." And other than the Charlie Chaplain program, which I don't know where that came from, he always had the most interesting music.
that's because patrick "retired" twice... I missed him so much after 2014.. and that's about when I joined this forum and took my username.. because he wasn't there but he was still there.. 4ever in my heart :) and then he came back... so I have learned to appreciate every moment, and there were so many great moments... like 4CC victory, black bird's short at worlds, Nationals (and I was there).. the new 4salchow... the Olympic Gold medal, with Patrick earning 18/20 points for his team... Seeing him as an olympic champion when he missed his chance after having landed both his quads and others had faltered..., was the perfect moment for me to already move into acceptance phase.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Wondering if Skate Canada choose the skaters for SCI to create some sort of rivalry between them, knowing this would be their only chance to skate in a GP event. Yes I am disappointed that Fiona isn't skating but remember Sarah Maude was the top CAN lady at 4CC last year even beating Maddie. As well Ruiter did beat Maddie in the free skate at Nationals. So maybe they are hoping that putting the 3 of them together will spur Maddie on to up her game. Same thing with the men selected for SCI - these are, at this point, the top contenders for the CAN men's title. So why not put them in the same event and see how they do against each other. Cause maybe Roman and Conrad might have gotten an event outside of SCI as their one event - several USA men that are ranked lower then them did get an event outside of SKAM.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
that's because patrick "retired" twice... I missed him so much after 2014.. and that's about when I joined this forum and took my username.. because he wasn't there but he was still there.. 4ever in my heart :) and then he came back... so I have learned to appreciate every moment, and there were so many great moments... like 4CC victory, black bird's short at worlds, Nationals (and I was there).. the new 4salchow... the Olympic Gold medal, with Patrick earning 18/20 points for his team... Seeing him as an olympic champion when he missed his chance after having landed both his quads and others had faltered..., was the perfect moment for me to already move into acceptance phase.
At least Keegan got the 4CCs medal ....(goes off to cry quietly in the corner)...

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Wondering if Skate Canada choose the skaters for SCI to create some sort of rivalry between them, knowing this would be their only chance to skate in a GP event. Yes I am disappointed that Fiona isn't skating but remember Sarah Maude was the top CAN lady at 4CC last year even beating Maddie. As well Ruiter did beat Maddie in the free skate at Nationals. So maybe they are hoping that putting the 3 of them together will spur Maddie on to up her game. Same thing with the men selected for SCI - these are, at this point, the top contenders for the CAN men's title. So why not put them in the same event and see how they do against each other. Cause maybe Roman and Conrad might have gotten an event outside of SCI as their one event - several USA men that are ranked lower then them did get an event outside of SKAM.
If skaters without two GP assignments only have host spots, they most likely weren't wanted by any other federation (or no other fed had space for them, because they preferred other skaters/prioritised their own skaters) - Which is sad, but also not particularly surprising.

Apart from Roman (who I am a bit - but really only a bit - surprised to only see at Skate Canada, considering his popularity on social media) and Maddie, none of the Canadian single skaters have had many opportunities to make a splash (yet), so federations probably wouldn't be very interested in inviting them unless offered something in exchange and/or one of their coaches having some political pull (which is probably why Stephen was invited to SKAM - Rafe has a lot of political power, and Skate Canada invited Liam Kapeikis in exchange).

Last edited: