2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
The Canadian judge managed to arrive in time for the judges meeting (Tuesday evening). I think she is from Vancouver area.
Does anyone know where he was stuck? Someone in another group said probably Germany but the German skaters seemed to make it to the event.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At the same time, Justine tends to do one good event, then one bad event... then one good LOL... So that could be a good one for her :)
Also, when it comes to international success, though it was skated in her backyard, Justine did at least win a medal at a challenger event this year ;)
Nationals would be before 4CCs though, so if that's the pattern, wouldn't that make Nationals good then 4CCs bad? ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Back then it really seemed that as soon as one left there was someone in the wings ready to take over. Brian, then Kurt, then Elvis, then Emmanuel and Jeff, then Patrick then Keeghan, then ..... We did have several JRs who seemed to be the next ones but their success was fleeting.
Yes, Canada also had Kevin Reynolds and of course the junior hopefuls Nam and Gogo. Even Nadeau had promise. I was thinking Roman could be the next Canadian Chan but that too seems to have failed. These tall lanky Canadians don't fair well. Maybe they will be like Ravi Walia - good coaches.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you guys forget about world champion andrei rogozine :)

junior world champs don't always become world champs... hopefuls are what they are hopefuls.

I am particularly sad about hopeful jo phan... but that's another story.

I think Skate Canada needs to realize that our single skaters are dealing with a bit too much pressure to be the next patrick or the next kaetlyn. I think in pairs and dance, the depth has helped with this and skaters are often older in those disciplines. Some of our men are still quite young/inexperienced (COVID didn't help)... So there is a need to remedy that... or else, that's just a wasted generation.

Sackie

Medalist
I was thinking of Andrei when I wrote my comment about Jrs showing promise, but as you say, they then are pushed to do well in SRs before they are ready. But when you look at who he beat when he won Jrs worlds ( Keegan and Jason to name 2) it is pretty amazing.

skatingguy

On the Ice
Corey competed at 4CC in the last five seasons which means his release will take time. He is signed up for Italian Nationals already. However, we will not see him compete internationally for quite a while.
At the same time, it is not like he was seeing lots of competitive ice since he turned senior. It seems like we have developed fan attachment for him because we saw him in juniors in both dance and singles... But how often did he compete recently? COVID, injuries and lack of opportunities.
I think you're thinking of someone else - Circelli only competed at Four Continents once in 2022. His last international event representing Canada was Golden Spin last season so he would eligible to compete starting from next week.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think you're thinking of someone else - Circelli only competed at Four Continents once in 2022. His last international event representing Canada was Golden Spin last season so he would eligible to compete starting from next week.
To clarify, I am talking about Corey. I should have written within the last five seasons. That's the criteria. It doesn't matter if it is once or five times. ISU eligibility is one thing. Skate Canada release is another.

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
He would be eligible in a year plus a week if Skate Canada measure from his last international competition. Skate Canada don't normally release skaters for 2 years if the have competed at a major championship in the past 5 seasons. What I'm not sure about is whether the 2 years is measured from the last international competition or from when he applied for release (if that was later).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Yay! Deanna and Maxime got a medal at the GPF. Perhaps we would have wanted more, but they just weren't good enough today. But if they skate like they did at at SCI.....wow, wow. I hope they do that at worlds!
Lest we forget: Lia and Trennt might have been sixth but it was quite an achievement to even be there. Loved their FS (Their SP had an issue, regrettably).

Sackie

Medalist
Starting to wonder if at worlds at home whether or not CAN will get even one medal. Seems our skaters do well early on in the season then falter somewhat at the big events, while others seem to get better (or are marked better) as the year goes along. Even in Dance the Brits were too close to Piper and Paul and one has to wonder where they might have finished had they not had an error in the short dance.
At this point it will be hard for CAN to get top 10 in ladies or men and could end up 4th in Dance and Pairs. And yes Lia and Trennt did well to make the GPF but they were beat by several lower ranked teams and there also are a few other good teams not here. So CAN may lose its 3 spots in pairs.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
At this point it will be hard for CAN to get top 10 in ladies or men and could end up 4th in Dance and Pairs. And yes Lia and Trennt did well to make the GPF but they were beat by several lower ranked teams and there also are a few other good teams not here. So CAN may lose its 3 spots in pairs.
All of those things could happen, of course; it's sport, there's nothing guaranteed. But in ice dance in particular I wouldn't bet against Piper & Paul skating on home ice.

Deanna & Maxime really need to get more consistently smooth throw landings; having off jump days isn't a big picture problem, everyone has those in pairs, but the lack of throw GOEs at this event cost them.

Speaking of pairs throws, whatever's going with Martina and Charly in that department, they need to sort out quick. Junior pairs nationals is going to be a tense one, because we've only got two spots but three teams made the Final, and Jasmine & Kieran won a medal there despite being clearly the weakest team in terms of technical content.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
All of those things could happen, of course; it's sport, there's nothing guaranteed. But in ice dance in particular I wouldn't bet against Piper & Paul skating on home ice.
agree
Deanna & Maxime really need to get more consistently smooth throw landings; having off jump days isn't a big picture problem, everyone has those in pairs, but the lack of throw GOEs at this event cost them.
agree
Speaking of pairs throws, whatever's going with Martina and Charly in that department, they need to sort out quick. Junior pairs nationals is going to be a tense one, because we've only got two spots but three teams made the Final, and Jasmine & Kieran won a medal there despite being clearly the weakest team in terms of technical content.
Here is where you need some info : they suffered a minor concussion. They were stellar all season until then. Setbacks in training and so on.
Hopefully, they feel better by Nationals and can secure their spot on the world team. I think Jazmine and Kieran look super well matched and have a fabulous presence on the ice, but their SBS jumps are super weak. I'd prefer tremendously for Marly to edge them at Nationals and go to Junior worlds with Ava and Yoni.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Here is where you need some info : they suffered a minor concussion. They were stellar all season until then. Setbacks in training and so on.
They had a rough outing at Quebec sectionals a month ago, along with boot issues for Martina. I was hoping the sectionals performance was pre-JGPF jitters, but it looks like no. They got the experience here at least and hopefully all three teams can build on that for Nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They had a rough outing at Quebec sectionals a month ago, along with boot issues for Martina. I was hoping the sectionals performance was pre-JGPF jitters, but it looks like no. They got the experience here at least and hopefully all three teams can build on that for Nationals.
I am not sure about the timeline of things. Boot issues, concussion, lack of training.. Was that all before sectionals or after or some before, some after ?
I am not too surprised that they would have some jitters. They are young and nobody before CQÉ expected them to be competitive right away on the circuit. Ava and Yoni were not really good at the beginning of the season because of health setbacks... and now, WOW.... the Ukrainians were better until health setbacks...

So I think it's safe to say that the "level" is greatly impacted with junior pairs when there is a health/training issue.. perhaps much more than senior pairs with more experience.

We will see at Nationals if Marly recuperate their consistency.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am not sure about the timeline of things. Boot issues, concussion, lack of training.. Was that all before sectionals or after or some before, some after ?
I went back to look at what happened at sectionals. She had a fall on the jump passes, one of the throws and coming out of a lift. If the concussion happened during sectionals, I wouldn't be surprised. They had two weeks of training time before JGPF, so they lost training time after sectionals.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just caught up on Grand Prix results.

Pairs - our strongest category. 3rd and 6th were the worst results I expected and is what ended up happening. Deanna/Max were a point or two away from gold. I just want them to medal at Worlds and I think they can. They still are the only team over 210. I worry more about the team from Georgia (juniors). I wonder if skating at home, if they like the pressure. Lia and Trentt… not their best event. But, I still pick them as the most solid #2 team out of any country… there isn’t as single country that is looking solid for three spots. The juniors, is what amazed me the most. Ava and Yoni were 😍. The 168 score made them pass Ben and Nicholas Nadeau. Also, the other two teams have surpassed the 154 international score, to be selected for senior international events. We have 7 over this mark. I’m happy with where we are at with Pairs. I would send Kelly and partner to 4CC.

Dance - We had three entries in this event!! That is amazing! I actually think the home crowd can push them to silver. I like Zach and Marjorie more than the Danish team. Those three are solid. I hope one of them doesn’t compete at 4CC so I can see my corpse 🧟‍♀️ 🧟‍♂️ team one more time