2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, that means that Kaiya is not going to 4CC and perhaps confirms also that she may be going to Junior Worlds. So Madeline, Sara-Maude and.... ? Justine ? Like last year? Or will they give it to Fiona ? Based on what we saw this weekend, it's a tough call.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

He just can't catch a break.

OMG... this sucks... Skate Canada needed to see him compete before making 4CC assignments. At this point, including him would be quite tricky, and not including him would just make confirm that 2023 is a year to forget for Roman. :(

Reverie

On the Ice
While I know nothing about the Skate Canada's budget, it is a bit of a sad state of affairs if Roman cannot make an international flight coming from Toronto in time for a competition in Europe be it there are weather delays, lost luggage, etc... If he was flying from Nunavut I would have a bit more empathy for whoever is in charge of scheduling/recommending the flights he should take.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
While I know nothing about the Skate Canada's budget, it is a bit of a sad state of affairs if Roman cannot make an international flight coming from Toronto in time for a competition in Europe be it there are weather delays, lost luggage, etc... If he was flying from Nunavut I would have a bit more empathy for whoever is in charge of scheduling/recommending the flights he should take.
Flying from/through Toronto in the winter has never been easy for me... I no longer book flights with connections in Toronto... it's been that bad. But yeah, I see your point... there may have been another way for him to get to Zagreb??? but how much???

almiranara

Rinkside
OMG... this sucks... Skate Canada needed to see him compete before making 4CC assignments. At this point, including him would be quite tricky, and not including him would just make confirm that 2023 is a year to forget for Roman. :(
but the entry deadline is on January 9 so idk if that's possible

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I don't think the weather issue here is on the Canadian side... Multiple big airports in Europe have been more or less shut down due to snow this week, and eventhough none of the airports in Croatia have been affected as far as I know, there are also no direct flights from Canada to Croatia.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think the weather issue here is on the Canadian side... Multiple big airports in Europe have been more or less shut down due to snow this week, and eventhough none of the airports in Croatia have been affected as far as I know, there are also no direct flights from Canada to Croatia.
There's been quite a lot of snow in Montreal (30cms) ... so I am guessing Toronto got their share too???

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
but the entry deadline is on January 9 so idk if that's possible
Skate Canada has said that because of the VISA requirements to go to China, entries for 4CC would be done before nationals. So really, assignments were going to be made based on recent competitions. Roman has done only a SP at Sectionals. I am not sure that qualifies him really which is not good. Conrad did win Challenge this weekend. Aleksa was 2nd. Stephen w/d but had a couple decent outings at ACI and at GP France. Nothing spectacular but better than Wesley and Conrad on the GP circuit. Golden Spin was necessary to assess Roman's condition.

Let's put it this way : if Roman is chosen, the other guys could feel it's quite unfair based on the Skate Canada criteria.
If Roman is not chosen, it really sucks.

So what is there to do?

If it were up to me, I'd go Conrad, Stephen and Roman and tell them that 4CC will be the final deciding factor for both spots at worlds (with Nationals)... but i am not Skate Canada's... Aleksa can sometimes score well but I don't think that he is really ready for worlds...

I would send Wesley to junior worlds. If Aleksa is still eligible, I would send him as well.
Wesley's fans may disagree with me but that's how I see it.

Skate Canada usually doesn't work like that. They tend to send the national champion + best other eligible skater.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Danielle Earl the skating photographer wasn’t able to fly to China for the Final because of weather-related travel problems, so there’s at least some issues on our end too.

saine

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate Canada has said that because of the VISA requirements to go to China, entries for 4CC would be done before nationals. So really, assignments were going to be made based on recent competitions. Roman has done only a SP at Sectionals. I am not sure that qualifies him really which is not good. Conrad did win Challenge this weekend. Aleksa was 2nd. Stephen w/d but had a couple decent outings at ACI and at GP France. Nothing spectacular but better than Wesley and Conrad on the GP circuit. Golden Spin was necessary to assess Roman's condition.

Let's put it this way : if Roman is chosen, the other guys could feel it's quite unfair based on the Skate Canada criteria.
If Roman is not chosen, it really sucks.

So what is there to do?

If it were up to me, I'd go Conrad, Stephen and Roman and tell them that 4CC will be the final deciding factor for both spots at worlds (with Nationals)... but i am not Skate Canada's... Aleksa can sometimes score well but I don't think that he is really ready for worlds...

I would send Wesley to junior worlds. If Aleksa is still eligible, I would send him as well.
Wesley's fans may disagree with me but that's how I see it.

Skate Canada usually doesn't work like that. They tend to send the national champion + best other eligible skater.

Looking at the selection criteria, it'll be hard since they'd have to figure out what relevant criteria they could use for Roman. Bring Kevin Reynolds along to a monitoring session to use as relevant criteria? They'll have to justify sending him with his short at sectionals being his only competition so far. The CEO has to sign off to ensure that the criteria were followed and they'll have nothing until Nationals now.

Wesley and Aleksa are the highest scoring eligible men with the junior TES minimums this season. They should be sent to junior worlds since the JGP spots depend on the placements there. It's also the last season of eligibility for both of them too.

At least ice dance should be easy, they even have their visas.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Looking at the selection criteria, it'll be hard since they'd have to figure out what relevant criteria they could use for Roman. Bring Kevin Reynolds along to a monitoring session to use as relevant criteria? They'll have to justify sending him with his short at sectionals being his only competition so far. The CEO has to sign off to ensure that the criteria were followed and they'll have nothing until Nationals now.
All I can imagine as a justification is a skate off between the top five men... Would they bother? I doubt it. (and I don't think they should do it... just saying that how can Skate Canada assess how Roman can compete internationally, or even a full competition at this point?)
Wesley and Aleksa are the highest scoring eligible men with the junior TES minimums this season. They should be sent to junior worlds since the JGP spots depend on the placements there. It's also the last season of eligibility for both of them too.
Send them both to Junior worlds and then there are 3 guys left for 4CC. Simple
At least ice dance should be easy, they even have their visas.
And two of the pairs. So that's good. At least....

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They could probably do some sort of private monitoring session with Roman. Maybe instead of sending Kevin to him, they could send him to Vancouver and set up some type of competition simulation with Roman, Wesley, Liam Kopekis and any other skater they could round up.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They could probably do some sort of private monitoring session with Roman. Maybe instead of sending Kevin to him, they could send him to Vancouver and set up some type of competition simulation with Roman, Wesley, Liam Kopekis and any other skater they could round up.
It's probably not going to happen. If they want to do monitoring before Nationals, they should invite Gogo,and Conrad too. Anyways, everyone is on the West Coast. I doubt they have the money to do that, so they will have to follow their criteria. Anyways, the big prize is not 4CC it's worlds. So maybe leave Roman alone for now, let him train and if he is top two at Nationals, punch his TRAIN ticket to montreal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.