2023-24 Grand Prix Final: General Info | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023-24 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final is currently scheduled to take place Dec. 7-10, 2023, in Beijing, China, at the Beijing National Indoor Stadium. It will be held with the approval and the assistance of the International Skating Union, organized under the responsibility of the Chinese Skating Association. The event is the culmination of the 2023-24 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series in which the top six skaters/teams have qualified based on the scores from the individual Grand Prix events they competed in.

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Math Time! Here's a breakdown of who all has qualified for the Final, who's out, and what the next two weeks look like!

Men
In:
  • Adam Siao Him Fa (30) will be the top qualifier, no one else can win two events
  • Ilia Malinin (28)
Needs a podium spot and they will likely be in, are automatically in if they win:
  • Shoma Uno (13) today was a rough skate for him and he still won a silver medal. Barring disaster, he will podium at NHK, which isn't the strongest men's field we've seen so far. A bronze and a solid score will put him ahead of Sota, and he should be in
  • Kevin Aymoz (13) if he can put out a high-scoring set of programs like SkAm at Espoo he should be able to slip in as well, even with a bronze, unless Shun wins Espoo and Kao is second, Shoma wins NHK and Yuma is second, and Yuma has a lower combined score
  • Kao Miura (13) is on the bubble if he wins bronze at Espoo due to his low SCI scores, but a silver or above at Espoo will see him in the Final
Needs a silver or higher and things to go their way, but are automatically in if they win:
  • Yuma Kagiyama (11) is one of the more likely podium qualifiers (I don't want to jinx him but he has a very good shot at silver at NHK) but if he were to get bronze there, he too would be on the bubble. His high score at GPdeF will help, and he will need to beat Kevin's score to ensure that he gets in
  • Shun Sato (11) would need at least silver and low-scoring 3rd or lower performances from Kevin, Matteo, and Kao at Espoo to guarantee his entry into the Final
  • Matteo Rizzo (11) is in a very similar position, with only a point separating him from the tiebreak with Shun. He, too, would need at least silver and low-scoring 3rd or lower performances from Kevin, Shun, and Kao to guarantee his entry into the Final
  • Lukas Britschgi (9) will likely need a silver to qualify for the Final and only a few of the above men to qualify. That will be a tough ask at NHK, but he has been skating well and his high score will help.
  • Nika Egadze (9) is the long shot in this category. He, too, will be skating at NHK, and unless he wins, it would take some serious chaos for him to qualify. His low score at SkAm will also hinder him especially againt Lukas.
Chaos?
  • Junhwan Cha (out due to injury) mathematically cannot qualify unless NHK gets nuked or something, but he too will be at Espoo. A win there for him (or really any podium spot) will make things extremely complicated for the other men.
  • Camden Pulkinen, Gabriele Frangipani, and Vladimir Litvensev all have 7 points. Gabriele and Camden will be at NHK, while Vladimir is at Espoo. If they win, they will likely qualify. Gabriele has the best shot at this, but also Camden is Camden and could be amazing.
  • Sota Yamamoto (20) would need complete and utter chaos from everyone else to qualify, he dug himself a bit of a hole at CoC
  • Mikhail Shaidorov and Kazuki Tomono (18 respectively) will need the most chaos ever (again, NHK getting nuked or stomach flu epidemic levels of chaos)
Predictions: Espoo will be a bloodbath.

Women are far easier except the women are menning because gender equality
In:
  • Isabeau Levito (28)
  • Loena Hendrickx (26)
On the bubble but likely to qualify:
  • Hana Yoshida (24) this is where things start to get very messy. Kaori will qualify with a podium place at Espoo, as will Chaeyeon (most likely). Also at Espoo, we have Rion Sumiyoshi, who is in the same boat as Chaeyeon. Then, we have Haein at NHK, who scored basically the same at France as Hana did at SkAm. If she wins NHK, which is likely if Mai withdraws and she skates well, and scores a 204.00 or above, she will move above Hana. Then, if Kaori gets 3rd at Espoo, Chaeyeon second, and Rion wins, they will all qualify and Hana will be locked out. Unlikely, but also not impossible. This could also happen if Haein does or does not win but Nina gets silver or higher at NHK, and two of the above happen at Espoo. Basically, it's going to be a nailbiter for Hana
Needs a podium spot and they will likely be in, are automatically in if they win:
  • Kaori Sakamoto (15) even 4th place at Espoo with a solid score will see her in above Hana
  • Chaeyeon Kim (13) will lose the tiebreak to Hana if she is third but could still qualify at Espoo. A silver or above and she is in
  • Nina Pinzarrone (13) is in a very similar situation to Chaeyeon: silver and above at NHK and she is likely in, but having two high scores will be crucial if she ends up tied in points with Chaeyeon
Needs a silver or higher and things to go their way (basically need some of the above 3 to not make it because they will be bumped out by Hana), but are automatically in if they win:
  • Rion Sumiyoshi (11) is at a tough field in Espoo, but a silver and a high score, plus Chaeyeon finishing 3rd with a lower combined score or Kaori finishing low enough or a win could see her in
  • Rino Matsuike (11) is in a similar situation to Rion, except she doesn't have a second assignment yet. Her most likely spot is if Mai Mihara (or another Japanese woman) WD from NHK or Espoo. At Espoo, she is in the exact same spot as Rion, except she will need Rion to finish third or lower and Chaeyeon to have a lower score if she is third. At NHK, she could very possibly take a silver, which (again) depending on score and prior skates could see her in
Needs a win:
  • Haein Lee (9), if she scores above Hana at NHK, will be in. If her score is lower, she will slot behind Hana and will possibly be out if the Espoo/NHK craziness happens that would bump out Hana
Chaos?
  • A win from Wakaba, Amber, or Lindsay, all at NHK, with a high-enough score, plus above chaos that results in a few of the above women not making it could see them in. But, like, probably not.
  • Yelim Kim, Anastasiia Gubanova, Mai Mihara, or really anyone unexpected wins NHK because then the math gets really annoying (and I'm exhausted and I haven't even started pairs yet so that's not happening rn)
Predictions: oh my god Espoo is actually a bloodbath. wtf.

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Pairs is gonna be easy...ish hahaha you thought

In:
  • Stellato/Deschamps (30) the only other team who could win both of their events is Hase/Volodin, which could actually happen, but S/D will likely be top qualifiers thanks to their high scores
  • Pereira/Michaud (28)
On the bubble but likely to qualify:
  • Hocke/Kunkel (24) much like Hana Yoshida, their win will help them out immensely. However, there are also a lot of scenarios where they don't make it in
Our silver medalists who need another silver to guarantee entry:
  • Conti/Maccii
  • Ghilardi/Ambrosini
  • Pavlova/Sviatchenko
    • Now, P/S and C/M will be going head-to-head at Espoo. C/M have a 2-point lead in score over P/S but pairs chaos could happen. Either of these teams might be okay with bronze, depending on other things. G/A are at NHK, where they will likely take silver
Bronze medalist shenanigans: prayers, hopes, dreams, and further chaos
  • Beccari/Guarise: NHK
  • Peng/Wang: Espoo
  • Liu/Nagy: NHK
  • Kovalevs: Espoo
    • Now, a win would see any of these team in. The problem is that they are quite close in score, and especially the Espoo teams are up against a difficult field. However, B/G scored higher than G/A in terms of SB, so if they pulled off an upset G/A would be a little nervous. It would come down to score, in which B/G have the advantage already. Best case scenario, B/G win and G/A get second, and they should both get in. All of these teams face one major obstacle, though...
The ultimate chaos wrench: Hase/Volodin
  • They will be at both Espoo and NHK. They have the highest SB score at NHK and second-highest as Espoo. They are looking very strong this season. They could easily win both events or go 2-1 and qualify. That means that they could knock out another team.
The problem is that a lot of these teams are scoring quite close to each other, and so I really have no idea. There are 6 teams (realistically) fighting for 4 spots, and I do not know what will happen.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Ice dance: it's going to be Chock/Bates, Guignard/Fabbri, Gilles/Poirier, Lajoie/Lagha, Fear/Gibson, and F-B/Sørensen unless someone falls on their twizzles like three times, and even then most of these teams will be fine as long as they're on the podium. Thanks ice dance, that was easy!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Camden Pulkinen, Gabriele Frangipani, and Vladimir Litvensev all have 7 points. Gabriele and Vladimir will be at NHK, while Camden is at Espoo. If they win, they will likely qualify. Gabriele has the best shot at this, but also Camden is Camden and could be amazing.
Thanks for the amazing summary! Just a minor detail, I think you mixed up Litvintsev (should be at Espoo) and Pulkinen (should be at NHK).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dance: it's going to be Chock/Bates, Guignard/Fabbri, Gilles/Poirier, Lajoie/Lagha, Fear/Gibson, and F-B/Sørensen unless someone falls on their twizzles like three times, and even then most of these teams will be fine as long as they're on the podium. Thanks ice dance, that was easy!
That's what I was like when I was looking at the chart on Wikipedia.

birdseye

Rinkside
Any info on tickets yet? It's in less than a month, I wonder if they're even going to sell them.

Boronia

Rinkside
I booked hotels and flight tickets already but NO tickets available for GPF, it is incredible. 🥲

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
About ticketing: this is (one of?) the website(s) to buy tickets -

I cannot locate the corresponding English version. And I'm NOT planning to buy tickets. Here are some quick notes:
  • You can buy only 4 tickets with one account/per order
  • The ticket purchasing will require a valid ID document (your passport should count)
Since I'm not buying tickets (and I don't personally live in China!!), I don't really know how the app work (you can scan the QR code and it should take you to the APP). But it looks like they issue electronic tickets as well (might be a better way to purchase tickets via the app?)

Hope it will be helpful!!

Boronia

Rinkside
About ticketing: this is (one of?) the website(s) to buy tickets -

I cannot locate the corresponding English version. And I'm NOT planning to buy tickets. Here are some quick notes:
  • You can buy only 4 tickets with one account/per order
  • The ticket purchasing will require a valid ID document (your passport should count)
Since I'm not buying tickets (and I don't personally live in China!!), I don't really know how the app work (you can scan the QR code and it should take you to the APP). But it looks like they issue electronic tickets as well (might be a better way to purchase tickets via the app?)

Hope it will be helpful!!
Thank you, I bought tickets.

blobby

Spectator
Thank you, I bought tickets.
Hi! Sorry to trouble but could you share how you managed to do it? As someone without a China mobile number, I can't seem to create a Damai account or any of the other accounts that can be used to sign in.

Would love some help 😅 Thank you!

Boronia

Rinkside
Hi, initially you need to have Chines phone number to process to purchase tickets. I bought China e-sim via online but it didn’t work for me (Australia). Then I contacted a friend who is living in China for working. I can get the 6 identical number via his phone and I can proceed to buy tickets for 2 people. Also I had Alipay account that I made and used for 2024 4cc tickets.

This is points to get tickets, you need china phone number, passport, and Alipay account.

One more things,
If you can get the China e-sim with

There are lots of tickets left yesterday.
I hope my experience to be helpful.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Turkkila and Versluis are yet to compete.

They have the potential be a spanner in the works as much as Hase and Volodin in Pairs.

birdseye

Rinkside
Hi, initially you need to have Chines phone number to process to purchase tickets. I bought China e-sim via online but it didn’t work for me (Australia). Then I contacted a friend who is living in China for working. I can get the 6 identical number via his phone and I can proceed to buy tickets for 2 people. Also I had Alipay account that I made and used for 2024 4cc tickets.

This is points to get tickets, you need china phone number, passport, and Alipay account.

One more things,
If you can get the China e-sim with

There are lots of tickets left yesterday.
I hope my experience to be helpful.
Do you need a Chinese passport or can you use a foreign one?