2023-24 US Pairs Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Pairs Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been checking Audrey Shin's IG, hoping to discover if she and Balasz are going to partner. Audrey posted an IG story from a distance showing Gracie Gold doing a sbs jump with Kai Kovar (a very tall young U.S. men's singles skater). Again, though, like when Gracie recently skated with Danilo Siianytsia, is this session with Kai just for fun? 🤔

Nothing else has yet been posted by Audrey regarding her pairs learning progress. Balasz is fairly quiet on his IG too.
I would die of happiness if my Queen were to skate pairs. Or dance. With anyone and for any country.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain and Danylo Siianytsia having "Some fun times getting to work" together, doing pairs elements. from Trudy Oltmanns IG.

They completed 3twist, beautiful SBS 3salchows, and amazing throw3salchow. Plus they had nice synchronization on their SBS spins, and also did pair spin and death spiral. A very basic lift. But gosh they look good and this was fun to see. :)

I'd love to see Ashley pairs skate competitively again. These IGs are good vehicles for showing how good Danylo is.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Picture of John Nicks with the Cain family. I think both Mr. Nicks and the Cains as coaches were honored with receiving the USFS Presidents Award for Excellence. Please correct me if I'm mistaken ... but it's a lovely picture either way!

ETA: John Nicks received the Legends Award at the event. :)

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Most likely, Ashley & Danylo were simply working out together for fun. Ash is back from touring with Disney's 'Frozen.' She thanked Danylo for giving her the chance to perform pairs moves again. Ash is also coaching. Plus, she's suffered more than one concussion. I doubt that she's coming back competitively. Anyway, Ash seems slightly taller than Danylo.

Gracie was practicing with Danylo sometime ago, and with Kai Kovar recently. She's probably doing it for fun, too.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Speaking of Kai Kovar, he was pictured in an IG story with Audrey Shin in an off-ice setting. Perhaps they are simply close friends. 🤔

Meanwhile, Balasz Nagy appears to be on vacation, traveling in Europe (maybe back in his home country, Hungary). This may mean nothing came of a possible Shin & Nagy tryout. That would be unfortunate, especially if US fed's actions were part of the reason for Lui & Nagy splitting after only one season. 😢 Why not bear down and work harder with Chelsea on solving her jump landing issues rather than looking for Lui/ Nagy to have substantial immediate success?!

Balasz is such a good pairs skater. I hope something will work out for him, soon! And for Danylo, too!

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So I see on Balazs' and Tara Kayne's IG that they are in Budapest together, probably on vacation. Audrey Shin put a 😍 emoji on the post. Doesn't mean more than that, of course. But it's still interesting. Anyways, I wish we could hear one way or the other what's up for Balazs and Audrey partnering, or not. It wasn't quite as difficult and convoluted to be informed sooner than later about these things, in the days before social media took over. 😵‍💫

BTW, it's well-known that Tara and Balazs had/have been dating, so there's nothing unusual about them vacationing together. Tara has moved on from competing to coaching and blogging.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most likely, Ashley & Danylo were simply working out together for fun. Ash is back from touring with Disney's 'Frozen.' She thanked Danylo for giving her the chance to perform pairs moves again. Ash is also coaching. Plus, she's suffered more than one concussion. I doubt that she's coming back competitively. Anyway, Ash seems slightly taller than Danylo.

Gracie was practicing with Danylo sometime ago, and with Kai Kovar recently. She's probably doing it for fun, too.
Don’t I wish Gracie would do pairs for real. Her first trip to Nationals was as a pair! It’s not unprecedented.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Gabbie Izzo has been spotted training pairs at a summer training camp in Germany with Luc Maierhofer. They look good together. Check the pairs general thread in Edge for links to photos.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This may mean nothing came of a possible Shin & Nagy tryout. That would be unfortunate, especially if US fed's actions were part of the reason for Lui & Nagy splitting after only one season. 😢 Why not bear down and work harder with Chelsea on solving her jump landing issues rather than looking for Lui/ Nagy to have substantial immediate success?!
(y) That's the trouble, IMHO. The process needs to be trusted.

It's only speculation, but I wonder if the "skate-off" between Liu/Nagy and Chan/Howe before Worlds had the effect of Chelsea re-evaluating her situation, if seemed like a no confidence vote. I agree with you that it would be great if US fed would have invested in L/N and supported them with some way to help solve Chelsea's jump landings. She was making progress on the throws. And her lift positions are to die for, plus such joy in skating.

A few months ago, Elena Bechke related how after years of jump landing trouble, she finally took extra jump lessons, I think it was 90 minutes 2 or 3 times a week, in addition to all their other pairs work. Of course, the former Soviet Union paid for it I suppose. But still, you'd think some kind of investment could be worked out.

Balasz is such a good pairs skater. I hope something will work out for him, soon! And for Danylo, too!
(y)

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
(y) That's the trouble, IMHO. The process needs to be trusted.

It's only speculation, but I wonder if the "skate-off" between Liu/Nagy and Chan/Howe before Worlds had the effect of Chelsea re-evaluating her situation, if seemed like a no confidence vote. I agree with you that it would be great if US fed would have invested in L/N and supported them with some way to help solve Chelsea's jump landings. She was making progress on the throws. And her lift positions are to die for, plus such joy in skating.

A few months ago, Elena Bechke related how after years of jump landing trouble, she finally took extra jump lessons, I think it was 90 minutes 2 or 3 times a week, in addition to all their other pairs work. Of course, the former Soviet Union paid for it I suppose. But still, you'd think some kind of investment could be worked out.

(y)
Remember, it wasn't just Chelsea's jump problems that they had to work through, it was also Chelsea's multiple concussions. If she wasn't improving significantly or consistantly on both her jumps and throws she may have come to the conclusion that the risk of more injuries trying to progress was just too much of a risk to her overall health. But who knows for sure?

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Remember, it wasn't just Chelsea's jump problems that they had to work through, it was also Chelsea's multiple concussions. If she wasn't improving significantly or consistantly on both her jumps and throws she may have come to the conclusion that the risk of more injuries trying to progress was just too much of a risk to her overall health. But who knows for sure?
I thought about that, too. She had an alarming number of concussions. I hope she's well, and I hope Balazs can continue if he wishes.