2023 4CCs: Men | Thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 4CCs: Men | Thoughts

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Slowly catching up with 4CC after hectic weekend. Very happy for Keegan, Kao, and Shun. Yes, Kao won on the tech, but give the boy a break. He's 17. Same age as Ilia, and not a natural performer. But he was fierce at Colorado Springs and just kept going - truly a beast! In a Japanese media interview he said something like "we watched the women to see how they were coping with the altitude, and they were doing fine, so we just got on with it." I deplore making young skaters perform to Argentine Tango. How could they possibly relate to it? I hope he gets better music next season.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I deplore making young skaters perform to Argentine Tango. How could they possibly relate to it?
Tango is a multifaceted artform open to different interpretations including child/sibling-friendly ones. Personally I'm really enjoying watching junior ice dance this season with their variety of takes on the theme.

Of the early groups of men, I particularly liked Dias Jirenbayev's classic style, reminds me of Denis Ten a bit (fittingly for a student of his academy). Also great to see Darian Kaptich progressing along nicely.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I watched the FS of the men tonight and had a wonderful night, even in the first groups. Sihyeoung Lee was fantastic, and his reaction wonderful. He might not be the most enthusiastic person in the world, but you sure know he was really happy with his skate. And rightly so! Keegan was my optimum moment (I cried, I have never seen him skate so well) but Shun Sato did a nice underwhelming flamenco (I said it like this on purpose). I was happy to see Conrad Orzel doing well too. Some mistakes maybe, but that salchow at the beginning...wow. I love Junhwan's Ina Bauer (which he put into the last minute) and I enjoyed the winner as well. He is really getting better at performing. Not at the Keegan level maybe but still worthwhile. Great night for me.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Really enjoyed the 3 medallists’ free skates. I don’t get the people saying Kao Miuria is not expressive and doesn’t deserve the PCS he was awarded. He has great feel for the music and some great performance qualities, charisma and projection. The end of his free skate is very moving.When he is on, the jumps are are of very high quality. Absolutely deserves the score he got and the Gold.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Really enjoyed the 3 medallists’ free skates. I don’t get the people saying Kao Miuria is not expressive and doesn’t deserve the PCS he was awarded. He has great feel for the music and some great performance qualities, charisma and projection. The end of his free skate is very moving.When he is on, the jumps are are of very high quality. Absolutely deserves the score he got and the Gold.
I didn't say he wasn't expressive (other have), Ali81, just that he is not a natural performer. He has to work at it, and currently, it looks like he's working hard. He looks fierce and determined most of the time, but that's no surprise with his jump content. He can only improve with age and experience. I'm looking forward to it!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Opinions on these sort of things can vary among fans. Mine is certainly different than yours.

He's 18... I think? His superb technical abilities aside - and he was excellent during this competition - choosing to skate to music from a children's cartoon movie was a misstep and emphasized his youth. He'll mature in style for sure - but for the time being, this screamed "boy" not "man."

All that said, he deserved the title, and I congratulate him for it. I look forward to seeing him develop.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The only other place I can think of it could be done at the (relative) drop of a hat in the US would be Norwood.
It’s also really only held on two continents (North America and Asia) and mostly on one (Asia). I’d love to see Oceania or Africa host one but they don’t seem to be ready/have facilities.

I think 4CCs in the US is too close to US Nationals and that hurts attendance more than anything. Assuming Gracie doesn’t skate at the Nationals prior to the next 4CCs I would be willing to consider placing 4CCs over it.

Regardless it was known to be at altitude and oxygen should have been available in the K&C.
I agree. Keegan is a showman with a capitol S and I am sure he will do well doing shows......for me, Beauty and the Beast was wonderfully done.
And meaningful
I always root for Jimmy cause he is a nice guy.....
Yes, Four CCs was too close to nats but I did it...it was exhausting but I love Colorado Springs for many reasons and got there on Sat. just to enjoy it.....But I understand why many fans couldnt do both events.....and why the event draws so many Asian fans who live in the US and in Asia.
But the truth is few Americans went to Nats anyway......and Four CCs wasnt that well attended by US fans in the other years it was in the US, as I look at my pics.....
Many of the US team went to Colorado Olympic training center after Nats to acclimate. And there was O2 in the K and C and a number of skaters refused it.
With so many skaters used to flying for hours at 7000 to 9000 ft cabin pressure, I wonder how many got true altitude sickness that was documented?
Of course athletes will be winded at an altitude of 5200-7700 ft density altitude....4 minutes is a long time at that altitude, especially carrying someone.....they are winded anyway at lower altitudes.....How many Oly skating sites had some altitude? Lots did fine, after all. And if this old man can jog to the Arbies, skaters can skate......you all did wonderful and thank you for coming.......We love you all.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But I understand why many fans couldnt do both events.....and why the event draws so many Asian fans who live in the US and in Asia.
One thing to remember is that there are almost certainly going to be more shows in Japan this year, and the groups of fans from Asia may be down as they go to them instead (I remember there was an article in one of the Japanese papers around the GPF that - translated by google - did say quite a few of the Japanese tour groups were being cancelled). When money is tight, and it is worldwide right now, priorities change.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
One thing to remember is that there are almost certainly going to be more shows in Japan this year, and the groups of fans from Asia may be down as they go to them instead (I remember there was an article in one of the Japanese papers around the GPF that - translated by google - did say quite a few of the Japanese tour groups were being cancelled). When money is tight, and it is worldwide right now, priorities change.
Then there's the Hanyu factor. Hanyu fans, and they are many, may prefer to see a show in Japan with Hanyu rather than an overseas competition without him.

I'm sure having Hanyu compete helped make the Skate Canada held in Kelowna just before COVID an economic success for the host city.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Then there's the Hanyu factor. Hanyu fans, and they are many, may prefer to see a show in Japan with Hanyu rather than an overseas competition without him.

I'm sure having Hanyu compete helped make the Skate Canada held in Kelowna just before COVID an economic success for the host city.
{I was trying very hard to be tactful about that, which I'm not very good at} Yep, SC's accountants said as much for more than one competition (ACI...) but now, taking Tokyo Dome alone what with seats and Asian cinemas and merchandise and Disney+ and the manga book and... yes. And there were the solo ones before, there's NS with Jason et al later, etc etc. Priorities, folks.

Seriously, it does make sense. Unless it's at home or a close, very convenient country, even devoted fans of most or all skaters (even the Russian girls when they were there) do for the most part attend competitions, even the big ones, online these days. Not all - don't come at me and say you or you or you still tackle the long hauls - but most. Welcome to the geoblocked norm and can officialdom get its online act together soon, preferably before the 2024 season.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
{I was trying very hard to be tactful about that, which I'm not very good at} Yep, SC's accountants said as much for more than one competition (ACI...) but now, taking Tokyo Dome alone what with seats and Asian cinemas and merchandise and Disney+ and the manga book and... yes. And there were the solo ones before, there's NS with Jason et al later, etc etc. Priorities, folks.

Seriously, it does make sense. Unless it's at home or a close, very convenient country, even devoted fans of most or all skaters (even the Russian girls when they were there) do for the most part attend competitions, even the big ones, online these days. Not all - don't come at me and say you or you or you still tackle the long hauls - but most. Welcome to the geoblocked norm and can officialdom get its online act together soon, preferably before the 2024 season.
And I also noticed how this has shifted opinions of skaters. Guinard/Fabbri are much more impressive in person than over video due to amazing speed and skating skills. Then you have Fear/Gibson who are very neat, expressive performers that l would actually prefer to watch in a livestream with zoomed cameras than in person.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This is odd. I set my VPN to the Neatherlands and can watch all the Four CC skating. But when I try and watch the mens, it says it is blocked in my country due to content from SME on copyright grounds. Edit. I found another worm hole to get to the ISU coverage with spoilers, in order of rank.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I also noticed how this has shifted opinions of skaters. Guinard/Fabbri are much more impressive in person than over video due to amazing speed and skating skills. Then you have Fear/Gibson who are very neat, expressive performers that l would actually prefer to watch in a livestream with zoomed cameras than in person.

And while this may not affect the judging (for what it's worth, true) the rise of preferring livestream may very well impact on which skaters become more popular with fans.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
And while this may not affect the judging (for what it's worth, true) the rise of preferring livestream may very well impact on which skaters become more popular with fans.
After coming home and watching the ISU replays of the events, it is a different experience and in some ways a better one...you have the benefit of getting the video switching person who is giving you the best view possible with all the cameras that he/she has at their disposal. AND in many cases, you get a better view of the skater, though I was in the front row...and you get a better view of their faces....So I get the best of both worlds....but if I were a judge, I would want to watch the ISU feed sans the Brit guy.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Squeeeeeeeeeeeee Shun!!!!!! Congratulations on your medal!!!!

I find him utterly charming and adorable. He's not very expressive but there's something so sweet and earnest in his lack of expression. The mother in me that finds him absolutely endearing!

Sad Jun didn't medal but he will always be the only person to make me understand PCS! Onwards and upwards for Worlds!!!