2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry to interrupt, I believe you've confused Japan with China. I'm assuming this is an honest mistake from someone not familiar with the Asia-Pacific region.

Japan's approach has always been similar to the stricter Western countries (masking, quarantine requirements, the same internationally recognised vaccines as everywhere else), with regulations loosening gradually over the course of the pandemic as less virulent strains took over. Postwar constitution prevented the government from enforcing hard lockdowns, only 'strong recommendations', but people were good at following them. Casualties have been quite low, comparable to Australia or Taiwan.

China had draconian measures (>3 weeks border quarantine, locking down entire cities) from the start of the pandemic until just over a month ago. It also didn't permit importation of foreign vaccines or recognise the vaccination status of travellers with them, and its domestic vaccines are ineffective against Omicron. When it became politically unsustainable they made an abrupt U-turn and lifted all restrictions without the necessary support measures (increasing healthcare capacity, effective immunisation) and got a huge wave of infections and deaths.

Yes, Japan is now taking a more relaxed approach to Covid, but only after a gradual route to recovery, just like most of the world. I don't know if they still have the rule on not cheering at competitions.
If I have, my deepest apologies. I was watching some American news program with footage of body bag after body bag. Of course, such footage could come from anywhere in the world (including the US) and does not even need to be Covid related.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, all! I live in the Denver area and will be staying in downtown Colorado Springs Thurs-Sun. I may also drive down Wednesday to watch some practices.

This is my first live competition since 4CC 2012! Any tips on where to buy flags? I'd like to have a small (no bigger than 12”x18”) flag or poster/sign for each country represented here, but I don't want to break the bank. None of the online options I've found so far seem to have what I need -- lots of "here's 50 flags for $50 and most of them are European" deals. I might just print the flags and signs I need on cardstock through Office Depot or someplace, but if you have a better idea, I’m all ears. Thanks!

FYI for people who drink: the nearby Target does sell full-strength beer. If you want wine, cider or liquor, you’ll need to Uber to a liquor store or have Drizly deliver to your hotel. CO liquor laws have loosened a lot since 2012 — starting next month, grocery stores can sell wine, but not quite yet.

This is going to be so much fun! Hope to meet a bunch of you there. I’ll be the one with the dorky signs and flags, I hope.
It’s a little late, but I get my (full sized) flags from Amazon for about $5 each. I got @Seven Sisters a smaller Canadian flag for (I think) 6.95.

I always have flags and dorky signs. I’m jealous. I hope you have a Philippines flag for my girl Sofia!

Dang it I’m so upset I’m not going. But Gracie is and always will be the priority.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But I will be frank with you. I like artistry and the hot mess that US mens Figure skating has become left me cold except for a very few. The system rewards skaters who doI dont understand why more people HERE are not going there. I paid $358 for a front row seat. See what people pay for a seat at a game of the ball....see how far they travel....see how they party.....expensive hotel rooms, meals, etc...and many are not rich....
Half this country is with in a two day drive of Colorado. Two people in one car getting average seats and sharing a room are within a two day drive and how many people will be there from the US????? And how many from Japan....the land of Artistry.....
I am not going because Gracie is not going and I can’t afford (physically, financially) to attend two comps so close together.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I can’t take Paxlovid.
Lots of people cant, which is too bad cause with my galpal and I, it kicked the crap out of covid in 24 hours.....and with 100k to 200k expected to die this year, it is a shame. Perhaps they will develop a version anyone can take...It was a relief to test negative for three days after nats......30 percent of the people who have it dont know it....and I didnt want to give it to my galpal again.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I got a survey this morning about my "experience" at nats, but it was 90 percent marketing related and not fan happiness. They did say that there would be a news letter and a chance for the great unwashed to get dibs on early tickets. There is a new head CEO so maybe she can turn things around. Maybe I will get one for 4CCs also.
As far as I know, there is no breakfast at 4CCs. The one at Nats had lots of great tasting food and juices and real coffee, and a handful of skaters telling us to not touch them inappropriately and be negative about them. Like telling a nun to be celebate. I keep thinking about the breakfast....here we saw a few athletes walking the concouse without masks and a few with....very few....they were definately not presenting themselves to the fans in the event. But there was people like Paul Wyle (sorry) buying his chicken fingers with the rest of us....without a mask. The breakfast was very regimented and no questions were allowed to be asked.....I saw athletes with masks like Amber in the whole foods store, but most didnt wear them. You were allowed to approach the athletes when festivities were done and they could stay as long as they liked.
It is a choice after all, as our leaders have decided at least.....look for me in the front row near the K and C. I will be the one with a mask....and the flu shot, and 5 covid shots, and the polio shot....and the small pox shot. And the compromised immune system and COPD.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of people cant, which is too bad cause with my galpal and I, it kicked the crap out of covid in 24 hours.....and with 100k to 200k expected to die this year, it is a shame. Perhaps they will develop a version anyone can take...It was a relief to test negative for three days after nats......30 percent of the people who have it dont know it....and I didnt want to give it to my galpal again.....
I’m sick as a dog. Went to hospital today. Neg for Covid, Flu A &.B. Going back tonight for observation- they should not have released me. Sometimes things just work out. Can’t imagine having tickets and being completely unable to go.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The distance to the arena looks easily walkable, I am feeling very positive!

Chris, are there also restaurants/grocery/coffee shops, etc, within walking distance of the hotel, and if so, what? Looking forward to some boots-on-the-ground reports!

Also, is there a microwave and fridge in the room?
I can't say enough nice things about the F. Nice rooms, fridge, bottled water, micowave, lndoor pool, breakfast bar looks wonderful, gift bag on arrival. The staff says no street people and walking is safe. Real side walks. Everything is walkable. Much new construction since I was last here. Spend a half hour learning google maps. You can watch yourself walking around.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am a pilot so I get lost easily without maps. So even though I have the phone, I make maps. Liquor, fast food, groceries, restaurants.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I’m sick as a dog. Went to hospital today. Neg for Covid, Flu A &.B. Going back tonight for observation- they should not have released me. Sometimes things just work out. Can’t imagine having tickets and being completely unable to go.
Is there a test for RSV?