2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I got ahold of Megan at USFS HQ and she says the ticket release time has not been decided but if she had to guess, it would be late summer/early fall....thats her story and she is sticking to it.
Pic of Marin is for attention getting.

:love2:

a marin.jpg

mrrice

Record Breaker
When will the lineup of skaters be announced? I imagine this event will have great skaters. I imagine most of Tom Z's skaters will be there, and it wouldn't surprise me to see several retired skaters in attendance.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
When will the lineup of skaters be announced? I imagine this event will have great skaters. I imagine most of Tom Z's skaters will be there, and it wouldn't surprise me to see several retired skaters in attendance.
Skaters have to be assigned, and there is a max of 3 entries per country/event.

Someone above noted that the US sends its "B" team to 4CC (skaters just below those assigned to Worlds). That is true for the US and Canada in Olympic years, but I don't know/think it is true any more for non-Olympic years. Of course, there may be additional skaters from those countries who are not attending Worlds if the Worlds quota in a discipline is less than 3.

4 Continents assignments are usually announced by each federation after Nationals (the same time the Worlds team is announced, unless a Worlds assignment is left TBA so contenders can slug it out once again at 4CC for the Worlds assignment).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was lookin at this link to get an idea of the expected schedule. Does anyone know th length of the "dinner break" between the afternoon and evening events?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was lookin at this link to get an idea of the expected schedule. Does anyone know th length of the "dinner break" between the afternoon and evening events?
Just my two cents...this event was just dropped so to speak into the lap of USFS. A windfall to be sure, but these things take alot of planning. Getting the world arena for the time slot is wonderful and being at the home of USFS is handy. But these things take alot of planning and talking to HQ on the phone I get the feeling that this will take awhile...SA and Nats take awhile also. I am just thankful that this great event is being held in a wonderful facility with eateries and hotels within feet of the arena and its practice sheet of ice and the Broadmoor and the museum are just an Uber ride away.
This will give us a possible blueprint.
Color schedule.jpg

Just watch out for crazy people
bears.JPG

Grade "B" second string also ran skaters LOL!
a second string.JPG

Why does that tall weird guy in the motorcycle jacket keep staring at me?
a tall guy.JPG

Love Kaori
a kaori 2019.JPG

I am telling y'all this event is more fun than a barrel of monkies and if you can make it, you wont regret it.....now if I can just match my hair color to Mariah's or at least her dog's!
a mariah.JPG

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
One of the wonderful things about 4 conts is being surrounded by Japanese fans....such wonderful people. And they dont just cheer for Japanese skaters....If the world were full of people who try and act like the Japanese do in treating other people, it would be a much better place.
Rika  and chris.JPG

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for the detailed schedule, @CoyoteChris . The length of the break affects the accomodation planning. A longer break means we can stay further away from the arena and still get decent food. The Residence Inn looks nice, and is convenient, but is pricey (perhaps unnecessarily pricey for those who will have a car?)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks for the detailed schedule, @CoyoteChris . The length of the break affects the accomodation planning. A longer break means we can stay further away from the arena and still get decent food. The Residence Inn looks nice, and is convenient, but is pricey (perhaps unnecessarily pricey for those who will have a car?)
I would see when the Quality Inn rooms will be available, but I have to say that as I travel extensively around the western half of the US, rooms are up everywhere and as we all know they are tied to events and general occupancy rates by a computer AlGoreithim to maximize profit. If you have a cancelable reservation in your back pocket, that is a good place to start. Then if rates drop you can re book or find another farther away place that might save you some bucks. Personally, I didnt see the rates at the Residence as pricey...I saw them as cheep compared to some places I am staying at this summer. I dont know what their breakfast is like but if it is any good, that is worth $20 to me right there as I eat a huge breakfast, light lunch, and medium supper.
Please remember that the schedule is only a view of things past. I like this schedule personally. I hate the compressed "Event in Two days" schedule....skating isnt a race ...it is a nice glass of wine to be enjoyed at leasure with friends....hotels and restaurants make more money also.
Sitting outside enjoying the sun with the cell phones on ignore is just the ticket....Sorry Yasa, I know you are a coach and want to get in and get home but thats not how I roll! LOL!
a idaho bistro.jpg

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If you are willing to drive one place that I think is over looked is the Cheyenne Mountain Resort.

Half the distance to the Broadmoor but way cheaper. Less than the Residence Inn actually (i want the kitchen and no driving).

Of course not as nice as the Broadmoor but few things are. This is still a resort with multiple pools, spa, eating options, etc. The location is lovely and i really enjoyed staying there. I would say it is much nicer than anything walking distance.

Also, they have an Olympic Museum Package https://www.cheyennemountain.com/colorado-hotel-deals which i feel like is a good sign for something like this.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you are willing to drive one place that I think is over looked is the Cheyenne Mountain Resort.

Half the distance to the Broadmoor but way cheaper. Less than the Residence Inn actually (i want the kitchen and no driving).

Of course not as nice as the Broadmoor but few things are. This is still a resort with multiple pools, spa, eating options, etc. The location is lovely and i really enjoyed staying there. I would say it is much nicer than anything walking distance.

Also, they have an Olympic Museum Package https://www.cheyennemountain.com/colorado-hotel-deals which i feel like is a good sign for something like this.
Just curious...Whats wrong with the Hampton? Its $134 a night..right next to the arena and food....Cheyenne MR is very nice but it says its $200 a night and the pirate fees go up perportionally. If money were an object, I would reserve a room there at the Hampton and wait till the La Quinta rooms become available. If you are into watching practices and socializing with friends at those practices at both sheets of ice, and having dinner right there in the complex, you will be spending very little time in your hotel if you check out the schedule....a resort is nice and I confess I like to sit out in the "Pool" area of the Orleans in Vegas cause of the warmth and I hope we get good weather in Colorado Springs but the average high is 45 and the average low is 18. If you are not driving you can have adult beverages at the restaurants with dinner early in the week and walk back to your room and not have to drive impaired.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
BTW, snow is probably not an issue. The average sliding 31-day snowfall during February in Colorado Springs is essentially constant, remaining about 1.4 inches throughout, and rarely exceeding 3.7 inches or falling below -0.0 inches. I am hoping the snow fall goes below -0.00 inches cause I have never see negative snow fall before. Does that mean the snow goes UP instead of down? :wink:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Just curious...Whats wrong with the Hampton? Its $134 a night..right next to the arena and food....Cheyenne MR is very nice but it says its $200 a night and the pirate fees go up perportionally. If money were an object, I would reserve a room there at the Hampton and wait till the La Quinta rooms become available. If you are into watching practices and socializing with friends at those practices at both sheets of ice, and having dinner right there in the complex, you will be spending very little time in your hotel if you check out the schedule....a resort is nice and I confess I like to sit out in the "Pool" area of the Orleans in Vegas cause of the warmth and I hope we get good weather in Colorado Springs but the average high is 45 and the average low is 18. If you are not driving you can have adult beverages at the restaurants with dinner early in the week and walk back to your room and not have to drive impaired.

I would not say there is anything wrong with Hampton or any of the ones in the area. But i would label them more a hotel than a resort and different people have different priorities. I suspect most on GS are like you and i that want to spend almost all our time at the area and be close and easy. But others may have other ideas. Some may want to use this more as a vacation than just a skating trip. Others may have a spouse who want to spend less time at the area and may need to WFH at the hotel. In my case long ago promised the other half he will never have to be sober for a figure skating event, so yeah i am staying closer.

I would say this is a more of a "Im willing to settle for less than the Broadmore for half the price!" alterative than an alternative to walking distance. Still, an option that i rather enjoyed and that i just don't see as being well known so i thought i would bring up in case it work for anyone. I also noticed they seem to have a lot of accessibility showers in rooms, which could be something that is a factor to some people.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think I will wait to book until I know that this is my only shot at seeing Malinin. The field is so depleted atm, so it’s hard to say if anyone who I won’t see in Skate Canada will be there. Even if I kick off Tuesday, it’s still over a thousand bucks at Hamptons, if I want cancellation. The cheapest option is not refundable. So, yeah, hard to say. Plus, US Nationals had insane tickets prices, so I wonder if 4CC will also charge arm and leg for Malinin and the Japanese.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think I will wait to book until I know that this is my only shot at seeing Malinin. The field is so depleted atm, so it’s hard to say if anyone who I won’t see in Skate Canada will be there. Even if I kick off Tuesday, it’s still over a thousand bucks at Hamptons, if I want cancellation. The cheapest option is not refundable. So, yeah, hard to say. Plus, US Nationals had insane tickets prices, so I wonder if 4CC will also charge arm and leg for Malinin and the Japanese.

Hard to predict if Malinin will even be there. Often USA does not send top skaters to 4CC, but this is different as it is in the USA and I think there will be people that want to see him follow in his mom's footsteps. Honestly I am not counting on him being there, but i think mom pressure may get him there. I want to see him, but will be ok if he skips.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hard to predict if Malinin will even be there. Often USA does not send top skaters to 4CC, but this is different as it is in the USA and I think there will be people that want to see him follow in his mom's footsteps. Honestly I am not counting on him being there, but i think mom pressure may get him there. I want to see him, but will be ok if he skips.
Yeah, no point in going.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I mean it is only a week after nationals. That being said. Do we have any other examples of parents and children winning the same event? I can't think of any off hand, and that actually could be worth something momentum wise.

He has a long time to win 4CC but i will be so sad if he never does.
Honestly, I think he should, but… 🤷‍♀️

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think he should, but… 🤷‍♀️

I think he should not make a decision yet and wait to see how things pan out. I minor injury, he should skip. If he struggles early season, it could be good redemption. If he has a great season, he may not need it. They likely will need to look at world rankings.

4cc or not i hope he has a great season!