2023 Grand Prix Espoo Practice Reports | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix Espoo Practice Reports

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I have a selfish request for anyone planning to attend the Thursday Women's and/or Men's practice sessions
If possible, could someone please post which coach is accompanying Rion Sumiyoshi and/or Kao Miura (they will almost certainly be sharing the same coach for this competition)
If you're not familiar with Okajima-sensei (Rion's main coach) or Noriko-sensei (Kao's main coach) just posting whether it's a man or woman overseeing their practice is fine

Thank you so much in advance! 💗

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Already posting in advance - barring flight delays/other stuff, I plan to be on some of Thursday practices, definitely Ice Dance (because it's last one in order lol), unsure how much I'll able to catch prior to ID, BUT - I will try to post impressions, photos and film something (to be posted on my Twitter account).
Plus the grand plan is to attend as much Fri/Sat practices as I can (bear in mind that I REALLY like my sleep and I need at least 30 mins to properly savour Finnish breakfast lol), so please let me know which skater you may be interested in, will try my best depending on schedule :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If I could watch...

Rion Sumiyoshi

Amber Glenn- her 3A but general worries

Madison Chock & Evan Bates-changes to programs?

Jimmy Ma

Cheng Peng & Lei Wang- new team Improvement since CoC? Effects of jet lag?

Ellie KAM / Danny O'SHEA -evidence of injury;

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
If I could watch...

Rion Sumiyoshi

Amber Glenn- her 3A but general worries

Madison Chock & Evan Bates-changes to programs?

Jimmy Ma

Cheng Peng & Lei Wang- new team Improvement since CoC? Effects of jet lag?

Ellie KAM / Danny O'SHEA -evidence of injury;
Noted :)
This is my first in person opportunity to see Amber (? I not entirely sure, but I can't collect memory of event I've attended live that would have Amber...), Rion, Peng/Wang and Kam/O'Shea, so I'm interested myself how they will look

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Noted :)
This is my first in person opportunity to see Amber (? I not entirely sure, but I can't collect memory of event I've attended live that would have Amber...), Rion, Peng/Wang and Kam/O'Shea, so I'm interested myself how they will look
I’m completely enchanted by the Sorcerers Apprentice program Cheng Peng and her new partner rolled out last week at Cup of China, and hoping against hope you may feel likewise and may possibly be in the mood to crown her appropriately :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I’m completely enchanted by the Sorcerers Apprentice program Cheng Peng and her new partner rolled out last week at Cup of China, and hoping against hope you may feel likewise and may possibly be in the mood to crown her appropriately :)
It's a bit complicated with crowns as as for Pairs I have only 3 planned to be given to medalists while basically 90% of this field can medal. I will have only one 'spare' to give which I already sort of plan for Carreira/Ponomarenko...we shall see what will be possible, allowed and what can I do.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Already posting in advance - barring flight delays/other stuff, I plan to be on some of Thursday practices, definitely Ice Dance (because it's last one in order lol), unsure how much I'll able to catch prior to ID, BUT - I will try to post impressions, photos and film something (to be posted on my Twitter account).
Plus the grand plan is to attend as much Fri/Sat practices as I can (bear in mind that I REALLY like my sleep and I need at least 30 mins to properly savour Finnish breakfast lol), so please let me know which skater you may be interested in, will try my best depending on schedule :)

Well, since Jason is currently on Polish soil ....:biggrin:

You know what I will say, the men, especially Kevin. And do you have a bright blood red crown? ;) And if it's true that Ivan or Nikita are subs, especially them too.

Oh what the heck, all of them. :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Well, since Jason is currently on Polish soil ....:biggrin:

You know what I will say, the men, especially Kevin. And do you have a bright blood red crown? ;) And if it's true that Ivan or Nikita are subs, especially them too.

Oh what the heck, all of them. :)
Noted ;)
Hope Jason enjoys Warsaw. I've already had crisis over weekend when I did NOTHING crafting/prep wise despite having A LOT planned - I'm sad about missing on Warsaw Cup plus few other things cumulated and my depression won. Trying to get on track, we shall see.
Actually...for men I have prepared red/olive/gold, red/cream/gold and black/silver/gold ones to be made on site, however...I suspect there could be Japanese group of fans who had crowns for Kao and Shun at Finlandia Trophy, so I won't rival with that (it's just not my style to push for things done already by others). So we will see what could be given.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Noted ;)
Hope Jason enjoys Warsaw. I've already had crisis over weekend when I did NOTHING crafting/prep wise despite having A LOT planned - I'm sad about missing on Warsaw Cup plus few other things cumulated and my depression won. Trying to get on track, we shall see.
Actually...for men I have prepared red/olive/gold, red/cream/gold and black/silver/gold ones to be made on site, however...I suspect there could be Japanese group of fans who had crowns for Kao and Shun at Finlandia Trophy, so I won't rival with that (it's just not my style to push for things done already by others). So we will see what could be given.

Here's hoping that the men don't "men", but rather skate lights out along with all the other disciplines, and bring some ☀️☀️☀️ to you.

Jason would not want you to be sad, you are seeing some marvelous skaters.:hap10:

BTW, Jason used as one of his hashtags Stare Miasto in his post from Warsaw. Is that a Polish phrase?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Here's hoping that the men don't "men", but rather skate lights out along with all the other disciplines, and bring some ☀️☀️☀️ to you.

Jason would not want you to be sad, you are seeing some marvelous skaters.:hap10:

BTW, Jason used as one of his hashtags Stare Miasto in his post from Warsaw. Is that a Polish phrase?
'Stare Miasto' equates 'Old Town' part of the city, with most historical buildings and pretty much the 'heart' of the city while the arena, COS Torwar, is more on the south, not that much on the centre iirc.
Thanks. I need to switch gears and find some excitement about seeing Finland again, watching skating, saying my thank you to them, enjoying Finnish breakfast at the hotel, just making the most out of it. I'm catching myself way too often comparing my 'fanship' to others, I.e. that I make poor choices, that I could go to different competitions etc. I just have to stay in my line, accept my shortcomings when it comes to not being so social and not having much of YOLO bone when it comes to travelling and try to enjoy as much as I can :)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
'Stare Miasto' equates 'Old Town' part of the city, with most historical buildings and pretty much the 'heart' of the city while the arena, COS Torwar, is more on the south, not that much on the centre iirc.
Thanks. I need to switch gears and find some excitement about seeing Finland again, watching skating, saying my thank you to them, enjoying Finnish breakfast at the hotel, just making the most out of it. I'm catching myself way too often comparing my 'fanship' to others, I.e. that I make poor choices, that I could go to different competitions etc. I just have to stay in my line, accept my shortcomings when it comes to not being so social and not having much of YOLO bone when it comes to travelling and try to enjoy as much as I can :)
I'm sure you will have a great time in Finland. And your crowns are so lovely. :)

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
I have a selfish request for anyone planning to attend the Thursday Women's and/or Men's practice sessions
If possible, could someone please post which coach is accompanying Rion Sumiyoshi and/or Kao Miura (they will almost certainly be sharing the same coach for this competition)
If you're not familiar with Okajima-sensei (Rion's main coach) or Noriko-sensei (Kao's main coach) just posting whether it's a man or woman overseeing their practice is fine

Thank you so much in advance! 💗
I plan to attend all practices Thursday. I’ll try my best to recognise the coach and report here 🫶

Let’s see if I can also report something else. There happens so much simultaneously and I love the most to see skaters do their edges and strokes. So my eyes might be zoomed into Kao’s, Shun’s and Kevin’s blades 😁

Biibi

Rinkside
Country
Finland
Peng and partner have both taped their wrists.

Danny & Ellie’s last throw was the cleanest, although Ellie almost fell. Looked messy.
Two to three sbs jumps she also fell. Looked like the rotation wasn’t ready in the air, she fell similarly in throws. The last sbs she stayed up.