2023 Hollins Trophy International | Golden Skate

2023 Hollins Trophy International

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 Hollins Trophy International will take place Jun 9-12, 2023, at the Erina Ice Arena in Erina, NSW, Australia. This international event will feature all the disciplines at the Novice, Junior, and Senior levels.

The competition will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the 2022 ISU Special Regulations & Technical Rules Single & Pair Skating and Ice Dance, ISU Communication 2468 Ice Dance Requirements for Technical Rules season 2022/23, and relevant ISU Communications.

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Entry list as of 17.05.2023

No pairs, and only one Sr Ice Dance team, but a healthy number of novice and junior girls.

Interesting:
Maria Chernyshova is listed under Sr Women - Is this the same Maria Chernyshova who previously skated with Harley Windsor in pairs for Australia?
An Indonesian Ice Dance team, which is a first, I think? Both Tasya and Dwiki were previously singles skaters for Indonesia, but there's some videos already up on the Indonesian feds IG showing their training (Here and here).

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

No pairs, and only one Sr Ice Dance team, but a healthy number of novice and junior girls.

Interesting:
Maria Chernyshova is listed under Sr Women - Is this the same Maria Chernyshova who previously skated with Harley Windsor in pairs for Australia?

I would say it is almost certainly the same Maria. It's not that many years since she was skating in Singles in Russia. So, it shouldn't be that hard to switch back.

The thing I find interesting is what it says in the "Nation" column. It says "MISC". When I first saw this, I automatically read it as "miscellaneous", and guessed that that was the organisers' way of saying that she was competing as a guest skater.

However, it just dawned on me that "MISC" is the initials of the Macquarie Ice Skating Club (the club based at the main rink in Sydney).

None of the other skaters listed in the PDF have their club mentioned. So, it does look curious that Maria has her club in the "Nation" column instead of the country she is representing.

Could this be an indication that there is a dispute over her between the Australian and Russian Feds?

Does anybody know what she has been doing since the split with Harley? Did she by any chance enter any competitions in Russia? If she did, the Russian Fed could be using this to claim that she has switched back to representing Russia.

I really hope that it was a mistake that her club was listed in the PDF, and that I am reading too much into this.

CaroLiza_fan

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I would say it is almost certainly the same Maria. It's not that many years since she was skating in Singles in Russia. So, it shouldn't be that hard to switch back.

The thing I find interesting is what it says in the "Nation" column. It says "MISC". When I first saw this, I automatically read it as "miscellaneous", and guessed that that was the organisers' way of saying that she was competing as a guest skater.

However, it just dawned on me that "MISC" is the initials of the Macquarie Ice Skating Club (the club based at the main rink in Sydney).

None of the other skaters listed in the PDF have their club mentioned. So, it does look curious that Maria has her club in the "Nation" column instead of the country she is representing.

Could this be an indication that there is a dispute over her between the Australian and Russian Feds?

Does anybody know what she has been doing since the split with Harley? Did she by any chance enter any competitions in Russia? If she did, the Russian Fed could be using this to claim that she has switched back to representing Russia.

I really hope that it was a mistake that her club was listed in the PDF, and that I am reading too much into this.

CaroLiza_fan
It's possible she's just listed in the wrong competition, as they are simultaneously holding a domestic competition under the same name and in the same rink, and there are a few skaters under MISC there too (Entry list here for the domestic event). Update: No, she's listed for the International part of the competition in the assignment spreadsheet by Aussie Skating fed. Probably just a mistake on the part of the organisers then.

She should be free to compete for Australia, as she had already been released and had competed internationally by the time she and Harley split. Considering she seems to be doing singles now, I guess she either is done with pairs for some reason or she has thus far been unable to find a new partner, which would be very unfortunate indeed.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Interesting:
An Indonesian Ice Dance team, which is a first, I think? Both Tasya and Dwiki were previously singles skaters for Indonesia, but there's some videos already up on the Indonesian feds IG showing their training (Here and here).
Having concentrated on personal names when I was in grad school in linguistics, I avidly read every list of names I see :) . Looking at the country codes, the entrants all seem to be representing Australia, New Zealand, and nearby SE Asian countries. Except for one girl in Advanced Novice, Anna Smbatyan who is listed as ARM. Google assures me I'm right, that is Armenia, and she has an Armenian surname. Now I'm intrigued -- family has immigrated to Australia and hasn't changed citizenship and her affiliation status yet? Advanced Novice seems a bit early for her to be a country-shopping or coach-following skater, so I'm just curious. Good for her if it is just a case of her family moving and she's settling in already and planning to skate for Australia eventually.

Walt FSHunter

Final Flight
Country
Ukraine
Did the Indonesian ice dance couple withdraw from the competiion? Who knows? I followed the live stream this morning but their performance in Rhythm Dance was not available as the streaming started later than they were due to skate according to the schedule. In the results table there is no information either. I suspect they have withdrawn.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Did the Indonesian ice dance couple withdraw from the competiion? Who knows? I followed the live stream this morning but their performance in Rhythm Dance was not available as the streaming started later than they were due to skate according to the schedule. In the results table there is no information either. I suspect they have withdrawn.
No, they competed but their scores are being listed on the interclub results page instead of the international one for some reason.

Here's the link: https://nswisa.z8.web.core.windows.net/results/2023/hollins/index.htm

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I've not seen Maria Chernyshova as a singles skater before, but she's very elegant and quite fast. Very similar body type to her sister, and also one of her good friends, Anastasia Golubeva.

Clearly, she's still struggling a bit with her jump timing and stamina, it must be very hard to make the transition back to singles after having been in pairs for quite some time, but there's definitely potential there. She seems to be focussing on 3Lo, 3S, 3T and 2A for now, but that's not a bad collection of jumps to start out with, and it's actually an improvement from her singles days in the past.

Whether she decides to stay in singles, or manages to find a pairs partner, I hope that we'll have the opportunity to see more of her.

danceme

Rinkside
Country
Commonwealth
I've not seen Maria Chernyshova as a singles skater before, but she's very elegant and quite fast. Very similar body type to her sister, and also one of her good friends, Anastasia Golubeva.

Clearly, she's still struggling a bit with her jump timing and stamina, it must be very hard to make the transition back to singles after having been in pairs for quite some time, but there's definitely potential there. She seems to be focussing on 3Lo, 3S, 3T and 2A for now, but that's not a bad collection of jumps to start out with, and it's actually an improvement from her singles days in the past.

Whether she decides to stay in singles, or manages to find a pairs partner, I hope that we'll have the opportunity to see more of her.
poor girl really didn't have a good competition