2023 Japan Open | Oct 7 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2023 Japan Open | Oct 7

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Q my g
Satoko just skated to Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet (with some I Giorni in the middle) and... I feel like I just gotten my ticket's worth right there. Absolutely beautiful skating, beautiful performer, beautiful dress, beautiful everything!!!!!
Totally agree!

The scoring and placements for the women seem about right.

Moira & Kihara skated a full free skate following the women. Also Papadakis & Cizeron skated also, the highlight for me so far.

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
Satoko just skated to Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet (with some I Giorni in the middle) and... I feel like I just gotten my ticket's worth right there. Absolutely beautiful skating, beautiful performer, beautiful dress, beautiful everything!!!!!
Can I ask how Loena skated?

rabidline

Final Flight
Can I ask how Loena skated?
Here is Loena's jump recap from figure365 Twitter account, which is pretty correct (not sure about rotations). She landed all the jumps, some with a bit more fight than the others.

Generally I don't think Loena has matched her energy to the program and the music, but that can be because of her lack of competition before this (Kaori was a lot better today, but she's competed at local competitions and Autumn Classic). I don't think the program is an immediate masterpiece or has been skated to its full potential, but I'm happy Loena's skating to Beyonce 😆

Also I think the costume is going to be.... divisive, but I enjoyed the (kinda) Renaissance Tour tribute lol.

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Really enjoyed Kazuki's FS. It's so indulgently beautiful and patient, and just minimizing the rough edges that sometimes can be distracting from watching him. I'm really looking forward to see this FS in the season and to see his future programs that will come after this season, because I think this experience will be worth it when he get back to the programs that showcases his strengths and spirit more.

Also no notes for Ilia. Perfect vibe match of skater and music and program. The last step sequence music is a bit abrupt, especially since I thought the build of the music was perfect up to that point, but that's it.

That GP France match-up looks to be really delicious with Ilia vs Yuma vs Adam vs the infamous French rink...

withwings

On the Ice
Thank you:thank:

I have to admit that I wish... Loena to take courage and to try a different choreographer and not to stick all the time with Adam Solya. Not surprised at all that her program is not, as you said, a masterpiece. She has to be herself and not what and how Solya wants her to be as a skater.

rabidline

Final Flight
I have to admit that I wish... Loena to take courage and to try a different choreographer and not to stick all the time with Adam Solya. Not surprised at all that her program is not, as you said, a masterpiece. She has to be herself and not what and how Solya wants her to be as a skater.
I'm of two minds for this, because I appreciate that Loena is so... Loena in style, and that she's competing with this style which is different from anyone else. But I agree that exploration of other choreographers and styles would be great too.

withwings

On the Ice
I'm of two minds for this, because I appreciate that Loena is so... Loena in style, and that she's competing with this style which is different from anyone else. But I agree that exploration of other choreographers and styles would be great too.
I am happy to hear your opinion and that you enjoy her skating style! True, she is like no one else. Maybe I want too much 🤔 Somehow I have this feeling/impression that her programs do not allow to open her true potential.

Yes, I do love Sotoko's skating immensely.

THank you for writing a word/ giving a spark of joy from Japan Open here!!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Team Japan 614.79

Team NA 577.87

Team Europe 543.31

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Satoko and Kaori videos on Twitter but no others. If anyone has other links or sources, please share. It was so nice to see Satoko skate to R&J, and she still has stamina to do a 4 min program.

withwings

On the Ice
Here is Loena's jump recap from figure365 Twitter account, which is pretty correct (not sure about rotations). She landed all the jumps, some with a bit more fight than the others.

Generally I don't think Loena has matched her energy to the program and the music, but that can be because of her lack of competition before this (Kaori was a lot better today, but she's competed at local competitions and Autumn Classic). I don't think the program is an immediate masterpiece or has been skated to its full potential, but I'm happy Loena's skating to Beyonce 😆

Also I think the costume is going to be.... divisive, but I enjoyed the (kinda) Renaissance Tour tribute lol.

:-( I do not have a twitter/x account, so...cannot see....

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason Brown, The Legend of Tarzan. The choreo, as always, is 🔥 It will be fascinating when he gets it down pat (which it is not here)

It looked better than I thought it would, but a lot of work needs to be done. Nothing is crisp and clean yet and the last spin was a train wreck. But Jason can make a train wreck look good!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone confirm what these skaters skate to? I'm assuming Aymoz and Repond used their FS for this season? Thanks!

Mariah Bell
Kevin Aymoz
Morisi Kvitelashvili
Kimmy Repond

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah said in an interview that she was skating to Celine Dion's "The power of Love."

I have not seen her JO skate but I saw an IOP video of the program at Evening of Champions a few weeks ago.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown, The Legend of Tarzan. The choreo, as always, is 🔥 It will be fascinating when he gets it down pat (which it is not here)

First pancake, and all that. I was afraid that Tarzan would be an artistic regression to some Jason programs I haven't enjoyed as much, but this is fantastic.

Did you notice the camel in both directions? Not so great here, but that's a new skill for Jason, isn't it?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First pancake, and all that. I was afraid that Tarzan would be an artistic regression to some Jason programs I haven't enjoyed as much, but this is fantastic.

Did you notice the camel in both directions? Not so great here, but that's a new skill for Jason, isn't it?

tt is a new skill, I have not seen Jason try that in competition (or really ever). Of course, Rohene famously jumped in both directions, so maybe he is trying to impart his learning. ;)