2023 Skate Canada: Ice Dance Thoughts? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada: Ice Dance Thoughts?

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I usually don't dig deep into the issue of how appropriate costumes are or not for the theme of the dances, unless a skater is wearing something eye-poppingly hideous or completely 'wrong' for the theme. Must admit, my first thought on seeing Piper and Paul just about to start the warm-up was 'They look funny', only in the sense that the costumes did not look like the sort of ones they usually wear, and Piper has always had her hair 'up' in recent years for the FD.

I did love the FD, however, AND the costumes, although I have to watch it again for it to 'sink in'.

As a side note, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to have costumes which are TOO literal for the dance theme. For example, I didn't like the Polish couple Polibina/Golivishnikov's Tina Turner RD costume with denim jacket and wig! A wig on an ice rink is surely not a good idea ...
Oh I'm not saying they should be totally literal with the costumes at all ..but if you take the core of the story into consideration and the team's thinking about how they choose to tell/interpret that story, ignoring the time period .. I don't think it really matches the theme. Plus I think it's unflattering on him. I had that reaction you mentioned in the first sentence.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh I'm not saying they should be totally literal with the costumes at all ..but if you take the core of the story into consideration and the team's thinking about how they choose to tell/interpret that story, ignoring the time period .. I don't think it really matches the theme. Plus I think it's unflattering on him. I had that reaction you mentioned in the first sentence.
In the practice, the shirt wasn't well tucked in. It was indeed unflattering. It wasn't at all in the competition.
They have mentioned that they are not trying to exactly portray the period or the story, but give a modern, personal interpretation of it. This approach does take involvement and thought. It's a 4 minute program, they are not telling a full story here but focusing on the concept that love and hate often come from the same place and we can see this in their choreography and performance. It's a general theme inspired by the storyline and skated on some parts of the soundtrack, and even there, some fans have mentioned they are not necessarily using the most famous bits of the soundtrack. I appreciate this approach way more than literal ones. YMMV