2023 Skate Canada: Ice Dance Thoughts? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada: Ice Dance Thoughts?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Maybe the I.AM politicking is starting to pay off and this wasn't a one time thing.
🤫😉☺️

But the key has to be, there's something to politik for! Politicking must be backed up by the athletes in question, or else it's a fruitless enterprise. 🫡

As I said earlier, after the Browns' immediate success under the part-time tutelage with I.AM, I am waiting to discover who else might ask for such a consulting arrangement, while maintaining ties with their longtime coaches. 🤔

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My daughter has never paid much attention to them (Piper and Paul), though we saw them in person at Skate Canada in Kelowna (the Joni Mitchell program with the original costumes). When they finished skating, she said "now, explain to me why these guys aren't World Champions."

We did scurry out of the arena without waiting for their scores, which seems disrespectful but actually indicates that we have absolutely no doubt how they will turn out. We did the same thing to Virtue/Moir at Canadian Nationals in 2008 when they won their first nationals, and it doesn't seem to have blighted their career in any way

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

While they are thrilled with their standing ovations, they also hope to reach the people watching from afar. Gilles also admitted that this free dance was harder to get into than Evita.

"In the story, the main character kind of turns into a ghost," explained Gilles of the costume. "On one had we have the pink-reddish color for love, but also the greyish touch that represents it all fades away and disappears."
Thanks for sharing Piper's reflections on their costume choice. In rewatching their FD, I was wondering whether a slightly contrasting, muted maroon color for Paul's shirt would be useful, in terms of reflecting the spectrum of anger, wildness, romance, passion, and hostility. However, it's possible that they chose similar muted dusty pale rose shades in order for deep colors to recede and not be distracting. The dusty pale rose and the muted gray seem to serve as a kind of canvas (along with the ice) upon which they paint/ emote with expressions, unique movements, and dance patterns, as their brush strokes.

I love the telling of stories on the ice through music and innovative choreography!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Having looked at both P/P's and C/B's FDs again, I think it's notable how well-received both have been. As well, I think it's important to respect veteran teams and to not be dismissive of one over the other. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with having favorites and making critiques. We actually shouldn't compare points across events, despite doing that all the time because scores are seen as a kind of barometer. Yet, total scores do not matter until teams go head-to-head. That said, there's currently (at separate events) about a 6 point or so difference between these two wonderful FDs.

What stood out for me when I viewed both programs again is the unique moves in each, and the superb execution, plus I love Maddie's creative, elegant, and sultry costume design. Both teams had the ability to work on their ideas, craft and hone everything before presenting on the GP. Whereas Lilah/ Lewis, out of necessity debuted early at three competitions prior to SC (to gain feedback and to fine-tune prior to their GP debut).

Further, what's different between P/P's and C/B's FDs is their different personalities and approaches, yet mutual expertise, albeit both teams have weaknesses too. Bottom line, the Wuthering Heights music and story are iconic and culturally accessible. So there's an immediacy of recognition right off the bat. P/P are known and beloved for their quirky, creative approaches, whereas C/B have been trying to develop a unique aesthetic in recent years, with some challenges and some successes. I think C/B are no less passionate than P/P, but C/B's passion is seemingly more cool, chic, and contained. For me, P/P are a bit more earthy and unrestrained, but they can also be cool and edgy, with a witty sense of humor. Also, I find that C/B's program, while thought-provoking and engaging, is more abstract, and the music is not as dramatic and memorable.

These comparisons do not mean I'm saying what's better or best. I'm just highlighting the differences I noticed. A variety of storytelling, born of different creative energies are what the sport and its fans need and feed upon, with great relish. So, I thank both teams, and I'm grateful that both are still competing with such dedication, joy, and creative energy. ⚡

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I like F/G's RD but think their free needs a lot if work, less gimmicky stuff and no slow version if eye of the 🐅
I love this observation. 😀 👌🏽

The Brown's are fast and delightful, but still a but junior-ish.
While this may be true in some respects, I see maturity in the Brown siblings' skating, having followed them since they were young juniors. The fact is, Oona is only 19, and Gage is 21. Thus, they have accomplished a lot in their young lives. This is their second senior season, though I believe their first on the GP. At least, I don't recall them competing on the senior GP last season.

Another thing to note is that Oona & Gage are short in height, with youthful faces. They have both probably reached their adult height, so there's not much they can do about continuing to look young, even as they get older.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think Carreira/Ponomarenko lost even more ground in the last few years so they're making an even steeper climb. Haven't seen their material this season, yet, so no comment at this point.
C/P's programs at Autumn Classic, are probably still accessible on YouTube and on Dailymotion.

If my recall is accurate, C/P won Autumn Classic.

EDIT: It was Quebec Summer Championships that C/P won, not AC. Thanks for the heads-up @chameleon.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love this observation. 😀 👌🏽

While this may be true in some respects, I see maturity in the Brown siblings' skating, having followed them since they were young juniors. The fact is, Oona is only 19, and Gage is 21. Thus, they have accomplished a lot in their young lives. This is their second senior season, though I believe their first on the GP. At least, I don't recall them competing on the senior GP last season.

Another thing to note is that Oona & Gage are short in height, with youthful faces. They have both probably reached their adult height, so there's not much they can do about continuing to look young, even as they get older.

Oona and Gage skated the GP last year, SA and Finlandia.

chameleon

On the Ice
C/P's programs at Autumn Classic, are probably still accessible on YouTube and on Dailymotion.

If my recall is accurate, C/P won Autumn Classic.
It's Pate/Bye that won Autumn Classic, for Carreira/Ponomarenko you're probably thinking of Quebec Summer Championships, which they did win.

I did like G/P's FD and I think it will develop well over the season. I don't like the stop in the twizzles and I really wish Piper would smile a little less, it's at odds with the theme. But there are some really great acting moments in that program, so with more time to develop may get the full emotional performance I want from them.

viennaskater

Medalist
Unfortunately I considered most of the FDs bland. I like it when a 'theme' is chose, e.g.: Irish (Lord of the Dance) for Lanaghan and partner. Really entertaining to watch. However, I could hardly believe Mark Hanretty's comment that it 'might be compared to the FD Bourne/Kraatz did'. Seriously?? That was DECADES ago. I have closely been watching figure skating for decades but even I had forgotten all about that.

Another theme: Tango. Very nice skate by the German team.

Next: well I am not quite clear on the Lithuanians' theme but it worked. Interesting movements and nice dynamism. They are good at coming up with something different.

Lilah and Lewis: Boxing. It's not been done before and they do it well.

Piper and Paul: Wuthering Heights. Beautiful, and they should get Oscars for the 'acting' on ice.

I am sad for the Browns, skating to that dreadful music. They deserve so much better. Same with the Chinese team.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Watched Piper and Paul again with, in mind, comments read here or in the competition threads.

Costume : actually, in the practice, Paul's shirt was too loose. He tucked it in better in the program and I have no issue with it now. I actually would wear it ;)

Speed : of course, it's hard to see how fast they skate but a lot of the music is built on long, sustained phrases. What matters to me in that case is that the skaters do not decelerate. I think they were keeping their flow throughout. The French CBC commentator thought they were going quite fast (but they are not at the rink either, but would have more experience than I would :) ) Speed to me is nothing if movements are not fully completed or rushed. Not the case for Piper and Paul. I do feel, just from watching on the stream, that they have good flow and ice coverage. They glide so smoothly. The one part we can see them decelerate is before the spin... well that's normal :) (BTW that spin was awesome and should get more credit from the judges on GOE). Finally, there was no blatant posing in this program. It is what I like about Carol Lane work with Piper and Paul : the elements are usually well integrated into the program to create a seamless experience. It really helps the viewer to get into the emotion and story-telling.
I also can't tell speed through camera, and I value speed as extremely important indication of edge stability and pushing and kneebend usage. And still, I think Piper and Paul could win worlds with this set of programs, reguardless of if they are as fast as the other top couples.

It's obvious to me that Piper and Paul are not crawling around the rink, but skating with flow. Do they have the best pushing in the world. Probably not. But they have good flow, leg lines, body lines, projection, musicality, edges, kneebend. And more recently turn technique as well.

But I would watch piper and Paul 10x over before watching Mrazeks. Speed isn't everything, and I think that softness and effortlessness to speed is just as important as the speed itself. That's why I would put Piper and Paul's skating skills much higher than mrazeks for example, reguardless of speed. And same with Charlene and Marco (who I can confirm skate fast, but not taschler/mrazek fast). Speed shouldn't exist for the sake of speed, but rather be a result of correct skating technique.

I also want to note how much more close holds Piper and Paul use. It's much easier to gain speed doing hand in hand crossovers and sending it around the ice like singles skaters. Piper and Paul generate and carry speed within holds, and this for me puts them at a disadvantage to teams who are more open, but to me less interesting than P².

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
However, I could hardly believe Mark Hanretty's comment that it 'might be compared to the FD Bourne/Kraatz did'. Seriously??
LOL! 😂 Exactly. I felt the same. I was like, 'Do this generation even remember when Bourne/ Kraatz skated that Riverdance FD?' 🤔 These days, everyone knows Shae-Lynn as a creative, bada$$ choreographer, not as the ice dancer she was. A reference to Jason Brown's iconic Riverdance, might be more timely, but still not apt since he is a singles skater. Pate/ Bye skated to Riverdance last season, and they were very good, but not iconic.

Mark Hanretty is thinking of an era he remembers and identifies with.

BTW, I agree with your other comments too, except I don't see the Browns' music as 'dreadful.' It's not that great, but not that bad either. And they skated with verve and confidence.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Still logged at work (and probably will stay this way until...who knows when), but since I'm feeling like producing some 'word vomit', vintage Beatrice style (those who are here awhile will know what that means lol), let's go (to be possibly edited later).

I have A LOT of opinions from past two weeks actually. But I'd rather keep them to myself, especially not so favorable (or downward petty) ones. The general thought for my perspective about Ice Dance is that the dramatic pendulum swings (either way)) seems to be in fashion nowadays & rewarded handsomely by judges. I feel like more balanced (or possibly, nuanced even) approach and philosophy about packaging and choreography is frowned upon this season - everything has to be loud, flashy, explosive, 'wow'-worthy in a very literal sense. The 'literal' theme also seems to be a very common 'trend' in itself. And I'm less than a fan, let's leave it at that.

It was quite interesting to watch 3 US teams side-by-side in Vancouver, especially post-debut of C/B AND with SC being second outing for Brown siblings. I won't lie, I am surprised by the way US teams hierarchy fell down, but I'm happy about it nonetheless. Browns for me are one of most 'driven' performers among young-and-coming teams and team with brilliant timing/musicality. Tgey are fast, agile, expressive too - hence I'm overjoyed to see them smashing their PBs with solid chunk of skating and possibly more confidence growth. My only 'but' lies in their packaging - but it's definitely not mine to decide what costume styles they are comfortable with/what they can afford for. I just wished for bit more 'polished' look that would 'dial in' more with senior Ice Dance. At the same time though, I wish they would never lose that youthful look around them - just amazing the packaging with right impulses. Their FD is not exactly my cup of tea (I was a fan of last season one though!), I feel it's a bit too 'generic' for them and does not capitalise the best way on their fortes, RD though is a perfect fit and just needs a bit of fine tuning and that 'oomph' to ekevate distinction level.

Zingas/Kolesnik are promising, but at this point I'm not sure what team they are in terms of identity/personality and I hope the partnership lasts enough to get a gist of that. I still consider him as one of the best partners in ID (his partnering in that golden junior Rach FD in 2020 is still etched in my brain) and I hope she can get more comfortable as time progresses. They have somehow good programs imho (for Igor team and I'm relieved they got spared with 'four same CDs on rotation' FD philosophy) and they seem at ease to perform them quite convincing. She appears stiff and nervous though at times (which of course should cease as season goes), he really goes lights out and truly provides a beautiful frame as a partner. I know I harped on literacy earlier, but - I WISH Emilea had Belle yellow dress for FD. Strangely, I'm quite a sucker for a fairytale as someone grumpy in general and it would made me content to see that yellow instead of red. But to each their own and it this is their preferred look, so be it. I'm meh about RD musical choice, but it seems to suit them (not everyone can be crazy, original and so on).

Pate/Bye left me a bit disappointed, especially after Autumn Classic debut. I feel like maybe nerves got to them too much or maybe they've tried too hard. That RD really suits them to the T and it stands out in the sea of music already being done even before 80s RD theme (this could be a potential advantage at Nats IF performed/skated well). Logan in particular seems like a such expressive performer to me - as someone always scared to step forward I applaud those not scared to be vivacious and expressive in any arts/sports performance. The FD...They didn't escape Igor's CD stash and I'm grumpy about it. The music itself is okay, it's just that the music in Igor's hands makes it into quintessential type of program I've probably already seen. I just wish they had something similarly distinctive for FD as they have for RD. But I very much appreciate their technical ability and progress they've made.

I'm heartbroken for Wang/Liu. And I don't want to twist that knife of anguish about 'what ifs' deeper. I just wish they can pick themselves up and not retire yet. They are brilliant performers.

Germans and their programs leave me indifferent second season in a row. I see efforts, I see decent quality. I just don't see that 'oomph', something that would keep my interest. One of teams I acknowledge, I wish they had something characteristic in terms of competitive programs though to be noticeable more.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Fear and Gibson were great fun as usual. Gilles and Poirier were amazing but that shirt was distractingly bad. You're Heathcliff! Heathcliff doesn't wear pale pink satin shirt! I'm actually going to watch the 1992 version of Wuthering heights because I love that music. Hard to see Chock and Bates beating that.

Zingas and Kolesnik are clearly a team to watch for. The Lithuanian team were like a series of good elements with a pose at the beginning and end.. is that a whole, cohesive dance showing a theme throughout? I would say no. Also really enjoyed the energy from Pate and Bye. Browns are great but not wowed by the programs. Really liked the Germans.

Kaitlyn Weaver was fab on commentary

Sackie

Medalist
Not reading much into the scores between Piper and Paul and C/B at this point. Piper and Paul have a habit of having great skates at SCI but staying about the same score wise through out the season. While C/B are the opposite. They have good skates at SAM but also seem to score way higher as the season goes along (as does many USA teams) peaking at worlds. By worlds last year Piper and Paul had gone up by just over 2 points and C/B had gone up by over 20!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I actually found Piper and Paul's RD to be a little snooze-worthy UNTIL Addicted to Love kicked in. The FD? Another masterpiece.

rain

Record Breaker
Not reading much into the scores between Piper and Paul and C/B at this point. Piper and Paul have a habit of having great skates at SCI but staying about the same score wise through out the season. While C/B are the opposite. They have good skates at SAM but also seem to score way higher as the season goes along (as does many USA teams) peaking at worlds. By worlds last year Piper and Paul had gone up by just over 2 points and C/B had gone up by over 20!
Last year isn't really a good comparison, what with Piper coming back from surgery and ovarian cancer in the middle of the season.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm feeling like producing some 'word vomit', vintage Beatrice style (those who are here awhile will know what that means lol),
I dislike the term word vomit and am renaming your commentary as thought twizzles that occur so rapidly they can make one dizzy unless you release them. I found them Interesting to read And am happy you shared.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Still logged at work (and probably will stay this way until...who knows when), but since I'm feeling like producing some 'word vomit', vintage Beatrice style (those who are here awhile will know what that means lol), let's go (to be possibly edited later).

I have A LOT of opinions from past two weeks actually. But I'd rather keep them to myself, especially not so favorable (or downward petty) ones. The general thought for my perspective about Ice Dance is that the dramatic pendulum swings (either way)) seems to be in fashion nowadays & rewarded handsomely by judges. I feel like more balanced (or possibly, nuanced even) approach and philosophy about packaging and choreography is frowned upon this season - everything has to be loud, flashy, explosive, 'wow'-worthy in a very literal sense. The 'literal' theme also seems to be a very common 'trend' in itself. And I'm less than a fan, let's leave it at that.

It was quite interesting to watch 3 US teams side-by-side in Vancouver, especially post-debut of C/B AND with SC being second outing for Brown siblings. I won't lie, I am surprised by the way US teams hierarchy fell down, but I'm happy about it nonetheless. Browns for me are one of most 'driven' performers among young-and-coming teams and team with brilliant timing/musicality. Tgey are fast, agile, expressive too - hence I'm overjoyed to see them smashing their PBs with solid chunk of skating and possibly more confidence growth. My only 'but' lies in their packaging - but it's definitely not mine to decide what costume styles they are comfortable with/what they can afford for. I just wished for bit more 'polished' look that would 'dial in' more with senior Ice Dance. At the same time though, I wish they would never lose that youthful look around them - just amazing the packaging with right impulses. Their FD is not exactly my cup of tea (I was a fan of last season one though!), I feel it's a bit too 'generic' for them and does not capitalise the best way on their fortes, RD though is a perfect fit and just needs a bit of fine tuning and that 'oomph' to ekevate distinction level.

Zingas/Kolesnik are promising, but at this point I'm not sure what team they are in terms of identity/personality and I hope the partnership lasts enough to get a gist of that. I still consider him as one of the best partners in ID (his partnering in that golden junior Rach FD in 2020 is still etched in my brain) and I hope she can get more comfortable as time progresses. They have somehow good programs imho (for Igor team and I'm relieved they got spared with 'four same CDs on rotation' FD philosophy) and they seem at ease to perform them quite convincing. She appears stiff and nervous though at times (which of course should cease as season goes), he really goes lights out and truly provides a beautiful frame as a partner. I know I harped on literacy earlier, but - I WISH Emilea had Belle yellow dress for FD. Strangely, I'm quite a sucker for a fairytale as someone grumpy in general and it would made me content to see that yellow instead of red. But to each their own and it this is their preferred look, so be it. I'm meh about RD musical choice, but it seems to suit them (not everyone can be crazy, original and so on).

Pate/Bye left me a bit disappointed, especially after Autumn Classic debut. I feel like maybe nerves got to them too much or maybe they've tried too hard. That RD really suits them to the T and it stands out in the sea of music already being done even before 80s RD theme (this could be a potential advantage at Nats IF performed/skated well). Logan in particular seems like a such expressive performer to me - as someone always scared to step forward I applaud those not scared to be vivacious and expressive in any arts/sports performance. The FD...They didn't escape Igor's CD stash and I'm grumpy about it. The music itself is okay, it's just that the music in Igor's hands makes it into quintessential type of program I've probably already seen. I just wish they had something similarly distinctive for FD as they have for RD. But I very much appreciate their technical ability and progress they've made.

I'm heartbroken for Wang/Liu. And I don't want to twist that knife of anguish about 'what ifs' deeper. I just wish they can pick themselves up and not retire yet. They are brilliant performers.

Germans and their programs leave me indifferent second season in a row. I see efforts, I see decent quality. I just don't see that 'oomph', something that would keep my interest. One of teams I acknowledge, I wish they had something characteristic in terms of competitive programs though to be noticeable more.
Part two (for those interested and I feel like releasing more thoughts as I've watched some programs few times more).

Cannot help, but smile everytime Molly Lanaghan performs. She is a 'rocket' that fills up the rink with energy and presence for me, plus with her infectious smile. Overall, I think both her and Dmitre are very engaged performers as a team and overall I usually enjoy what they are bringing in with their programs, especially identity and character, even if not skated the best. I also appreciate sort of 'different' (unusual??) take on Riverdance presentation - and I applaud changing Molly's costume to black/gold comparing to Nebelhorn, it truly made tge visual working better. Plus what I always like when 'choreography' elements that are mandatory are not a 'trickery showoff' or a cop-out: here I felt like all 3 elements made sense, were musical AND conveyed musical theme well.

Good to see Fabbri/Ayer being back. I sort of expected this team to expand more after Frida FD which I really liked, yet they seemed to be torpedoed with health issues. I'm not the biggest fan of this FD or maybe to put it a bit differently - I feel that the construction/idea for this program could be less 'typical' and expected, it would make it more standing out than just 'pretty'/easy on the eyes. RD feels a bit like an afterthought, but it's a common disease this season in my very honest opinion.

I 'clicked' with Reed/Ambrulevicius last season and I'm still dialed in, despite considering last season FD as superior compared to one they have now. There's something unique about their material and 'team identity' I feel - as I described it in RD or FD thread, they are sort of dialing in with the past and present at the same time regarding their material. It makes an interesting mix of nostalgia and current tendencies in Ice Dance and makes them standing out. I'm shameless fan of that RD - it's a PERFECT vehicle for both, Saulius especially, they are keeping that high energy level throughout the whole performance and never lose expression/attack in choreography. I feel like FD lacks something...it's not as 'hard-hitting' as Faithless last season, maybe it's in the music (composition/edit??), maybe choreography needs to be amped up to make more impact overall. I'm super happy nonetheless about their medal - and their joy was one of the best moments of SCI this year for me.

Disco Brits, Fear/Gibson...I'm not even sure if 'Disco Brits' term is still applicable though. I will however always treasure that nickname and the origin of the nickname (18/19 FD) and while I fully understand that they moved on from that 'era' (because that's the way of the sport), I miss some of that look about them. I consider their material for past two season as 'good seller' and entertaining for the general audience, but while I totally get the need of something less 'serious' and more 'light-hearted' to watch, I feel like the amount of gimmick/trickery makes it too one-dimensional to take for my subjective opinion. It makes my brain to be set more on acknowledging athletic efforts to perform all of the lifts etc. than appreciating the storytelling or just enjoying the performance. The other thing is that maybe I'm not a big fan of (too) literal translation of a theme into a program, especially theme leaning into rather entertaining/showy aesthetic. But that's just me. Good for them to find their 'path' to explore (or maybe exploit..?), sticking to things they feel strong about and capitalising on all of that. It clearly works and I'll leave it as such.

And probably the most non-objective, biased part about a program I honestly don't even know at this point how to describe (laughing at myself). Part of that question mark comes from the fact that I just didn't expect this OST to be used, in these cuts AND with such approach towards the story/theme. I fully expected a lyrical melancholy fest, possibly infused with some dramatics or OTT moments, and that the program will align with the feel of Wuthering Heights story sentiments. Yet my mind got blown away and that ending pose sits on the surface of my brain since Saturday.
From the first practice clip posted here I immediately thought about Hitchcock FD. Ten years back, a different era of skating. From that beginning sequence, I felt the same intense curiosity about the way Piper and Paul seems to treat the story and music as departure points to unleash something else from them - and they really surprised me this time. The Hitchcock FD sentiment that cane to my mind also sort of proves that P²'s identity/footprint was made so early on and got honed to the brilliance it is now. I feel that there's sort of juxtaposition in how fluidly program seems to be constructed with the unsettling feel it radiates as performance of it goes. That paleness, slight sheen of the costumes, fair simplicity of the palette, even Piper's light makeup are quite deceiving when contrasted with intensity of their expression, that 'edge' and 'menacing' look in their eyes (few GSers used menacing when describing this FD in competition thread and I want to give them credit!). Watching it for the first time I didn't even know what kind of climax this program could have, which is a feat itself in the era of predictability than suspense.
Apart from unexpected way the theme/music were treated in terms of storytelling and conveying character, I was surprised too about choreography. It's way more punctuated than expected by myself, yet it compliments music arrangement just exquisitely (BIG shoutout for the MUSIC EDITOR, my hat is off yet again!!!), with enough 'punch' to accentuate, but without unnecessary embellishment to lose the moment. I was laughing at myself when I realised that judge jumpscare moment marked beginning of choreographic step sequence (I really missed it watching first few times lol), but in a way this proves that I got so lost inside that 4 minutes that I forgot to pay attention to singular elements building this program. It makes me think that the way program, music and P² storytelling abilities clicked, it made me physically feel the emotional package the performance brings before/than feeling the weight of physicality put inside the program and deconstruct how the performance is packaged (which is nowadays the way I mostly watch Ice Dance).
I saw comments accentuating that this vehicle was made for Piper. While I agree her performance qualities/character embodiment just shine there, Paul and his expression in some parts are just impossible to look away from for me, e.g. judge jumpscare, his movement and face between twizzles and spin, ending sequence. Plus that ending comes way too quickly, leaving me wanting more. And thinking it was cut too short.

viennaskater

Medalist
Gilles and Poirier were amazing but that shirt was distractingly bad. You're Heathcliff! Heathcliff doesn't wear pale pink satin shirt!
I usually don't dig deep into the issue of how appropriate costumes are or not for the theme of the dances, unless a skater is wearing something eye-poppingly hideous or completely 'wrong' for the theme. Must admit, my first thought on seeing Piper and Paul just about to start the warm-up was 'They look funny', only in the sense that the costumes did not look like the sort of ones they usually wear, and Piper has always had her hair 'up' in recent years for the FD.

I did love the FD, however, AND the costumes, although I have to watch it again for it to 'sink in'.

As a side note, I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to have costumes which are TOO literal for the dance theme. For example, I didn't like the Polish couple Polibina/Golivishnikov's Tina Turner RD costume with denim jacket and wig! A wig on an ice rink is surely not a good idea ...