2023 Skate Canada International: General Info | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada International: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2023 Skate Canada International is the second event of the 2023-24 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Oct. 27-29, 2023, in Vancouver, Canada. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December.

Competitors collect points in their individual Grand Prix events towards the qualification for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. Only the top six skaters/teams in each discipline can qualify for the Final.

Skaters are seeded and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results obtained at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023. Skaters/teams who have placed first through sixth in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/teams who have placed seventh through 12th at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events. Skaters with a top 24 Season Best Scores (from the 2022/23 season), as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings, can also be invited.

In order for a skater/team to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2022/23 or current 2023/24 season in an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners.

Last edited by a moderator:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'd prefer that he will be on site at Montreal worlds, which was supposed to be the case in 2020... not sure if it is still a deal.
Patrick and Joannie are the event ambassadors for Worlds. I believe they'll be there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick and Joannie are the event ambassadors for Worlds. I believe they'll be there.

I will believe it when I see it... been burned once in 2020... ha !

Country
Russia
ISU GP Skate Canada International 2023
Vancouver / CAN
27.10.2023 - 29.10.2023
In order of Personal Best
In (brackets) Season Best of this season if any.

Men
No. Name Nation Score
1 Junhwan CHA KOR 296.03 (222.16)
2 Kao MIURA JPN 281.53 (267.81)
3 Matteo RIZZO ITA 275.36
4 Sota YAMAMOTO JPN 274.35 (231.23)
5 Kazuki TOMONO JPN 273.41 (265.78)
6 Mikhail SHAIDOROV KAZ 237.14
7 Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 236.30 (236.30)
8 Mihhail SELEVKO EST 234.72 (223.95)
9 Wesley CHIU CAN 232.39 (208.82)
10 Conrad ORZEL CAN 226.10 (213.52)
11 Liam KAPEIKIS USA 223.02 (181.03)
12 Aleksa RAKIC CAN 209.88 (209.88)

Women
No. Name Nation Score
1 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN 236.09 (203.20)
2 Rinka WATANABE JPN 213.14 (180.36)
3 Chaeyeon KIM KOR 205.51 (202.26)
4 Audrey SHIN USA 203.86 (169.04)
5 Rino MATSUIKE JPN 202.21
6 Lindsay THORNGREN USA 199.42
7 Madeline SCHIZAS CAN 192.14 (188.88)
8 Starr ANDREWS USA 191.26
9 Kaiya RUITER CAN 179.92 (172.68)
10 Lara Naki GUTMANN ITA 179.59 (163.42)
11 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA 178.89
12 Sara-Maude DUPUIS CAN 170.67 (145.36)

Pairs
No. Name Nation Score
1 Lucrezia BECCARI / Matteo GUARISE ITA 191.71 (191.71)
2 Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK / Maxime DESCHAMPS CAN 203.62 (203.62)
3 Maria PAVLOVA / Alexei SVIATCHENKO HUN 190.67 (182.60)
4 Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOORE AUS 189.47
5 Brooke MCINTOSH / Benjamin MIMAR CAN 181.95 (157.50)
6 Kelly Ann LAURIN / Loucas ETHIER CAN 175.73 (175.73)
7 Daria DANILOVA / Michel TSIBA NED 173.85 (160.47)
8 Letizia ROSCHER / Luis SCHUSTER GER 170.65 (138.40)

Ice Dance
No. Name Nation Score
1 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 219.49
2 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR 214.73 (207.84)
3 Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS LTU 199.20 (190.55)
4 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN 196.75
5 Eva PATE / Logan BYE USA 191.20 (191.20)
6 Emilea ZINGAS / Vadym KOLESNIK USA 187.28 (187.28)
7 Jennifer JANSE VAN RENSBURG / Benjamin STEFFAN GER 181.50 (176.42)
8 Oona BROWN / Gage BROWN USA 177.21 (177.21)
9 Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER CAN 171.63 (167.14)
10 Molly LANAGHAN / Dmitre RAZGULAJEVS CAN 170.19 (157.81)

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like I won't be able to stay up and watch all of it lol.
I know - because of the western timing I will miss a lot as I will be at work. That's why I started the rewatches knowing that we all have to watch things off schedule at some point. Skate Canada is very friendly for rewatches.

Just bookmark the rewatch and the event threads and follow along with the chat as if it were live...

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
A thought women field strong contenders but predictable outcome. The same thing with dance. And men. The pairs can have surprises.
I believe a Canadian will be on each podium possible win even women. Challenger event who won and which two Canadian women came out of nowhere and finish on podium. Who

Who claims Country judges are the most bias? Your#1 is USa not Canada

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I have been watching Japanese Regionals on IG, novice, Jr and SR. and of course other comps at other places like SA. I would be interested in anyone's predictions for Woman placements at SC who feel the outcome is predictable.
U don't think Kaori going to win predictable. Nor Gilles and Porter nor Dudes stellato and Deschamps .or Yu hwa Cha predictable like in SA loena, c/b , ilia the only was pairs but even based on past challengers performance most has them winning. Madeline 3rd

Seven Sisters

Medalist
^ I have been watching Japanese Regionals on IG, novice, Jr and SR. and of course other comps at other places like SA. I would be interested in anyone's predictions for Woman placements at SC who feel the outcome is predictable.
@CoyoteChris, I was thinking of you while at Skate America. My hotel’s breakfast included waffles made in the shape of Texas, but no bacon or breakfast meats of any sort. I couldn’t help but smile and think of your past comments on the topic :)

BTW, for those venturing to the UBC arena for Skate Canada this week, I’ve been there; the rink food is limited, and not great, and it is the coldest rink I have ever watched a comp in. Bring your winter coat. Over sweatshirt, or sweater. Over shirt. With mittens, scarf, and even a hat. You’ve been forewarned!

ETA: and wear wool socks, if you’ve got ‘em!

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I thought mae berenice withdrew from skate canada?
Is Rinka the promising skater who was struggling with the 3A but got favorablescores at nationals? I can't remember.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, for those venturing to the UBC arena for Skate Canada this week, I’ve been there; the rink food is limited, and not great, and it is the coldest rink I have ever watched a comp in. Bring your winter coat. Over sweatshirt, or sweater. Over shirt. With mittens, scarf, and even a hat. You’ve been forewarned!
I thoroughly agree with your assessment of how cold the UBC arena is. Going in there is like going on an expedition to Antarctica...🥶

I recall a variety of food options, including lentil soup, but I went there in late 2018, so things could have changed. They also didn't let me take food into the arena. It may be better to eat outside the arena before entering.

Sadly, I will not be at Skate Canada this year. I hope those of you who are going have fun and stay warm!

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring empty water bottles to the arena?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring empty water bottles to the arena?
I'm not sure of the rules, but I am sure going to try. I don't think they are super-strict (like with a max bag size). I believe at 4CC the rules were no water bottles, but we saw people arguing with them and getting empty ones in anyway. My daughter ordered some folding water bottles for a drive-by pickup at the Colorado Springs Walmart, and they never noticed them in the bottom of our bag. You can always try with a cheap/free one (like from a 20 oz coke) so there will be no loss if they confiscate it.

They definitely don't like you taking food in.

At previous comps that I have been to at Thunderbird Arena, they supplemented the standard arena food areas with tables of food for sale. They had muffins and fruit and sandwiches, etc. It was overpriced but higher quality than the standard fare.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not sure of the rules, but I am sure going to try. I don't think they are super-strict (like with a max bag size). I believe at 4CC the rules were no water bottles, but we saw people arguing with them and getting empty ones in anyway. My daughter ordered some folding water bottles for a drive-by pickup at the Colorado Springs Walmart, and they never noticed them in the bottom of our bag. You can always try with a cheap/free one (like from a 20 oz coke) so there will be no loss if they confiscate it.

They definitely don't like you taking food in.

At previous comps that I have been to at Thunderbird Arena, they supplemented the standard arena food areas with tables of food for sale. They had muffins and fruit and sandwiches, etc. It was overpriced but higher quality than the standard fare.
:thank: :thank:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Random observations:

The food was much more expensive and much worse than at previous competitions.

We had no trouble smuggling in a large candy bar.

The chicken farmers were there! Once nice thing about this arena is that in some areas there are very wide hallways where booths can be set up without obstructing the traffic flow. There was a rep from the chicken farmers who had set up a couple of beanbag toss games. Participants were given 3 beanbags to toss; if they got one in, they got a really cute chicken key ring; if they got two in they got something else. It was very popular with young and old alike. We were glad we found it on Friday afternoon, when things were not crowded, so my daughter was able to win a chicken.

Attendance was very sparse on Friday afternoon, but it picked up in the evening and even more on Saturday for the free programs. Not full, but better attended than 4CC, and it looked fuller because of the smaller arena.

We were sitting on the short end (opposite the Kiss'n'cry; only end that had seats). We were in row 4, which was at row 4 level above the ice, but actually the first row of seats, and we got really good closeups of a lot of the jumps. And every single pair began every single program by skating to the other end of the ice, turning around, and doing their twist (AKA "chucking the girl in the air") right in front of us. Patrick Chan and Joey Russell were sitting two rows behind us for the men's short.

Isk

On the Ice
Wow, Skate Canada took place at the arena at UBC? I used to skate at that rink, no wonder it looked familiar on the computer screen. Just never thought they use that arena for major figure skating events, as it only has one ice sheet, if I remember correctly, I wonder if it is enough for both practices and competitions.
Upd. Actually, no, the website says it has three ice sheets. So, I remember incorrectly. This looks almost perfect, UBC has dorms for guest accommodation and a beach with wonderful sunsets nearby for de-stressing.

Last edited:

skatingguy

On the Ice
Wow, Skate Canada took place at the arena at UBC? I used to skate at that rink, no wonder it looked familiar on the computer screen. Just never thought they use that arena for major figure skating events, as it only has one ice sheet, if I remember correctly, I wonder if it is enough for both practices and competitions.
Upd. Actually, no, the website says it has three ice sheets. So, I remember incorrectly. This looks almost perfect, UBC has dorms for guest accommodation and a beach with wonderful sunsets nearby for de-stressing.
Skate Canada also took place at the same arena two years ago, and Grand Prix events only require one ice sheet.

Isk

On the Ice
Skate Canada also took place at the same arena two years ago, and Grand Prix events only require one ice sheet.
OK, thanks for the info, I didn't know this. I don't get to watch every event every year (depends on my schedule) and don't usually focus on the venues, maybe that's why. This year I only just got to catch up. Some nice person posted fan cam videos from this event on youtube, in which you can see the whole arena with the blue seats and the banner...