2023 Sofia Trophy | Golden Skate

2023 Sofia Trophy

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 Sofia Trophy will take place Feb 3-7, 2023, in Sofia, Bulgaria, at the Winter Sports Palace. This international event will feature all the singles disciplines (Women and Men) at the Novice, Junior and Senior levels.

The competition will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the 2022 Special Regulations and Technical Rules for Single Skating, as well as all relevant ISU Communications.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Result page is online
http://sofia-trophy.clubdenkovastaviski.com/2023/ISU/

Provisional entry list can be found on European Criterium website http://www.europeancriterium.eu/
I can't link directly because of the formatting. You need to go Entry List in the Sofia Trophy line.

Thank you. :thank:

After both competing in Belgrade this week, I see the Hristova sisters will be in action again at their home rink. Last week at the EDU Sport Trophy in Romania, there were 2 boys with the surname "Hristov" competing. And I was wondering if one or both were maybe their brother. Well, the younger of the boys is entered in the Sofia Trophy. But, now that I see the 3 of them listed on the same page, I see that he is from a club located in Varna, which is in the opposite side of the country to Sofia, where the girls are from.

Anyway, I'm getting seriously peeved off with the European Criterium at the moment.

Their website is so user unfriendly. The pages take half a day to load.

And so many things have been going wrong at Skate Helena this week.

• The Time Schedule PDF links have been taking us to 404 error pages
  • There has been no livescoring
  • The pictures on the stream freeze for long periods of time, and nobody notices until the group is over

Hey, I was supposed to be watching the Advanced Novice Ladies FS, but I ended up here writing this because the pictures froze about 20 seconds into the programme by the first skater. And it only got fixed at the end of the Group 2 Warm-Up.

So, things had better go a lot smoother in Sofia than they are in Belgrade.

CaroLiza_fan

yesterday

Record Breaker
Oh what a men's field :D
Can chaos-Larry challenge Mr. Zich?
Why does Hagara compete in Juniors here?
And we have three women with names starting with an E in the seniors competion and it could very well be all three of them on the podium

:biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Just discovered that the stream isn't on the European Criterium's YouTube channel. It's actually on the Bulgarian Fed's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQm3qTqSVlHzxkUADN_q_cA

The streaming of the Denkova-Staviski Cup went well on this channel in November, so hopefully that means we won't have any of the problems that we had on the European Criterium's channel during Skate Helena.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Third time I've attempted to post this in the past couple of days (I kept getting caught out by practices in the Time Schedule!), but Day 1 of the Sofia Trophy is about to start.

It's Junior and Senior SP day, in that order, with girls followed by boys at each level. And we start with the biggest field of the day - 35 Junior girls (a group of 5, followed by five groups of 6, with resurfacings after each even numbered group).

Livestream for the Junior Ladies SP is now on air.

Here are the link for the archived livestreams:
Part 1 (ends during skater #19's programme) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIOHod5hUtc
Part 2 (starts at start of Group 5 Warm-Up) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os1i_P5K2-I

Here is the Time Schedule:
http://sofia-trophy.clubdenkovastav...JUNIOR--04QUAL000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

And here is the live scoring:
http://sofia-trophy.clubdenkovastaviski.com/2023/ISU/SEG007.htm

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
in junior ladies there are unusually few Turkish girls and many Italians

That's a good point. Whenever you get a competition with Turkish representation, there are usually a lot more than just 3 girls across 3 competitions (as well as the girl in Juniors, there is 1 girl entered in Advanced Novice, and 1 girl in Basic Novice III). You normally get half a dozen per competition.

I just checked the entry lists for the Bavarian Open and the Nordics, and there are no Turkish girls at either of them.

I wonder if there is a domestic event happening around now that they are concentrating on. 🤔

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I had to pause the stream for a few minutes there, because a man arrived to tell us that the Water Service is planning to do work replacing the sewers in our avenue later in the year. (They keep getting blocked, so it's not a surprise that they actually need replaced).

And it only dawned on me there now after he left that this will probably mean our garden will have to be dug up! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ah, looks like the stream is having technical problems, as there is a buffering circle and I am suddenly caught up.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not now but quite soon: Ephesus cup (starts on the 6th of February). Could be that.

Aha! That's it, definitely. I'd forgot that it was coming up.

Looking at the entry lists for Ephesus, all but 4 of the 22 Junior girls are Turkish. And 8 of the 10 Advanced Novice girls entered are too.

There is more variety of nationality in the other categories of the ISU part of the event, though.

And in the lower levels, across all the competitions, apart from 5 Bulgarians, 4 Georgians, and 1 Emirati, ALL the skaters are Turkish! :drama:

Yep. The Turks are saving themselves for Ephesus.

EDIT: Just checked again, and two of the three girls that are here are also competing in Ephesus (the girl in Basic Novice III isn't). That's going to be a busy couple of weeks for them!​

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ach! The last skater in Group 5, Monika NEDVED (HRV), has withdrawn. 😞

I was looking forward to seeing her, because she has a surname that brings back memories. When I was on a school trip to Prague back in 2002, a lot of the guys bought Czech football shirts from a shop just off the Old Town Square. And all of them had the name "Nedvěd" on the back of them!

And I often regret not doing the same. Although I don't like football, I do support quite a few Czechs in other sports. And it was a nice looking shirt.

Curiously, this skater is Croatian rather than Czech.

CaroLiza_fan

Country
Russia
In order of Season Best this season (* means other best if no this season Season Best)

Senior Men
No Name Nation Score
1 Raffaele Francesco ZICH ITA 200.73
2 Alexander ZLATKOV BUL 188.07
3 Beat SCHUMPERLI BUL 167.63*

Senior Women
No Name Nation Score
1 Tzu-Han TING TPE 162.42
2 Jade HOVINE BEL 161.66
3 Ema DOBOSZOVA SVK 161.56
4 Alexandra FEIGIN BUL 155.23
5 Elena AGOSTINELLI ITA 148.88
6 Kristina GRIGOROVA BUL 128.91
7 Simona GEORGIEVA BUL 112.53
8 Natalia PEEVA BUL 100.34*
9 Elisavet VOULGARI GRE 90.66*

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now this is interesting. The Festić twins from Bosnia (via Florida) were supposed to go back-to-back there now. The first, Nadia, has withdrawn, but the second, Leila, did skate.

By the fact that it is only one of them that is missing, I take it Nadia injured herself in practice or isn't feeling well today.

Either way, I'm sending my best wishes to her!

Incidentally, Leila went into 28th out of 29, with 3 due to still skate.

CaroLiza_fan

fehervari

On the Ice
Vanesa Selmekova's best skating this season, a really good Katherine Ong with really good speed, lovely Sadie Shen Weng and Whitney Ford, elegant Emilija Ozola in a very thoughtful program, great performances from Annalisa Ursino and Micol Panepucci and a nice starter, Radina Zaharieva etc. however, I'm a little afraid that it will be difficult to survive the free program of these 32 girls tomorrow (and until then, I still have to deal with my disappointment with the Festic twins. I was really looking forward to their debut in BIH colors, but Nadia WD, Leila... um... penultimate, not by chance)

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After the extended break due to the withdrawals from the girls, we move onto the boys. 9 of them, arranged into a group of 4 followed by a group of 5.

Livestream for the Junior Men's SP is now on air.

Here is the link for the archived livestream (starts at 1h 38m 19s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os1i_P5K2-I&t=5899

Here is the Time Schedule:
http://sofia-trophy.clubdenkovastav...JUNIOR--03QUAL000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

And here is the live scoring:
http://sofia-trophy.clubdenkovastaviski.com/2023/ISU/SEG005.htm

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

fehervari

On the Ice
You normally get half a dozen per competition.

CaroLiza_fan
I'm always amazed at how many girls figure skate. maybe there is nothing really surprising in this, but unfortunately I am not a Turkey expert. on the other hand, with the exception of Güzide Irmak Bayir, none of them made a deep impression on me