20th place for Boyang FS o.O ! | Golden Skate

20th place for Boyang FS o.O !

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Maybe on PCS, but otherwise no :sad21:

Although I have to say I don't understand how Shoma still got 88 PCS for his mistake ridden skate but Boyang got only 73.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yes, I do not get it about Shoma as well! Can someone explain please?

There is a huge discrepancy in the level of Jim's skating compared to Uno and Jin fell two more times than Uno and had other major errors like the double salchow. Or downgraded 2T. And issue with the final spin.

Both were overscored but Jin should have been sub-70 PCS, IMO.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Poor Boynag, he really gets no love from the judges. And his jumps were so off today... hopefully his motivation isn´t affected and he comebacks next season with happy attitude and his attack.

PD.
Some people were thinking that maybe he has been sick or injured, any news in Chinese media? I hope they are not to hard on him, he really do works...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
from what i heard (his interview), no mention of injury or sickness. He just did not train much after OG, since there are lots of other arrangements after OG.
this is what I read, maybe wanna verify from Boyang fans.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
His skate was rather uncomfortable to watch, but the fact that he was laughing when he left the ice (laughing in the sense of: 'well, this was a total flop so I'd better shrug this off now') at least gave me the impression he wasn't as upset as he could have been - or in pain. He had some really awful falls, and I was really worried he may have seriously hurt himself. Such a shame that he has to end his season this way. There were some good parts in the skate but just too few. Compared to Shoma however, this skate was definitely much worse. Shoma had his 3 falls, but actually rallied in the second half of the programme. I hadn't expected Shoma to medal though, and that was totally due to the stumbling and bumbling of others including Boyang. I'm sure though that Boyang will bounce back next season!

Sk8rBoii

On the Ice
Shoma fell 3 times, but the falls didn't affect too much his transitions, steps or spins. Yes he was slower, but still managed to pull a decent program and elevated his performance in the second half.

Boyang's 5 falls put him behind on his program, so he had to rush through some of his choreography to catch up. Hence, transitions and performance took a major hit. Boyang's spins and steps were also affected much more than Shoma's. He looked beyond exhausted by the end of his program. Boyang's PCS have never been as high as Shoma's to begin with (correct me if I'm wrong), so 73 compared to 88 sounds about right.

But I still think they both got generous PCS for what they gave on the ice.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
He had a bad they plus he had no motivation after OG. Probably he didn't train too much.

Eclair

Medalist
well of course Boyang today deserved nowhere nearly as many PCS as Shoma.

BUT when Nathan fell apart at GPF (watch his skate, it really wasn't that much worse PCS wise than Boyang's today, although still a little better) he still got 86 PCS.
Boyang totally falling apart - bam, 73 PCS.

I'm not saying that Boyang deserved more, just that some skaters have more of a cushion when they fall apart and some less. And that Judges are not going to be going easy on Boyang when he falls apart.

Thoma on the other hand has the best SS and also performance of the last group. He should have gotten the highest PCS, even with his falls..

The real problem is, that Vincent got 76 in PCS for his FS. And apart from being from a big fed, he neither has the reputation, nor the FS (also many falls and UR, no steps nor performance) to justify getting higher PCS than Boyang. But that's complaining on a very low level.

Danny T

Medalist
Judging on the SP is definitely questionable, but I don't think Boyang's score today is harsh. The falls really took a lot out of the programme.

So heartbroken for Boyang :sad4: But at least I'm glad he was not injured and hopefully not too traumatised after his free.

加油天天 (ง •_•)ง

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I'm so sad for Boyang. I was really rooting for him. I was upset about the scoring in the short program, but not today. It was his performance that was lacking, not the scores. I was actually wondering if he had hurt himself.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
He had the best kiss and cry plushy though. That has to count for something. Darth Vader for the WIN!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
His skate was rather uncomfortable to watch, but the fact that he was laughing when he left the ice (laughing in the sense of: 'well, this was a total flop so I'd better shrug this off now') at least gave me the impression he wasn't as upset as he could have been - or in pain. He had some really awful falls, and I was really worried he may have seriously hurt himself. Such a shame that he has to end his season this way. There were some good parts in the skate but just too few. Compared to Shoma however, this skate was definitely much worse. Shoma had his 3 falls, but actually rallied in the second half of the programme. I hadn't expected Shoma to medal though, and that was totally due to the stumbling and bumbling of others including Boyang. I'm sure though that Boyang will bounce back next season!

I don't think this competition meant much to him. He peaked at Olympics, there he was in happy tears. With the retirement of Han Yan (according to his fanfest), there was also no pressure to keep spots.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't think this competition meant much to him. He peaked at Olympics, there he was in happy tears. With the retirement of Han Yan (according to his fanfest), there was also no pressure to keep spots.
Why do people keep doing this? Just because he has a melt down didn't mean he wasn't serious! Bad skates happen for a myriad of reasons. It's no reason to start making these false claims that it didn't mean anything.

Boyang was the only person out of the 2016-2017 top men to not get any medal of any type from the Olympics. I wanted him to at least medal again.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Why do people keep doing this? Just because he has a melt down didn't mean he wasn't serious! Bad skates happen for a myriad of reasons. It's no reason to start making these false claims that it didn't mean anything.

Boyang was the only person out of the 2016-2017 top men to not get any medal of any type from the Olympics. I wanted him to at least medal again.

I didn't mean any ill by it. More so I was agreeing with ladyjane about his reaction of shrugging it off and that this result in the grand scheme of things is not important, considering he medalled in consecutive worlds and he got a great placement at the most important competition this season, the OG. Watch his K&C reaction in Pyeongchang, after he saw his scores and knew that he would place in the top 5. He was in happy tears. IMO he had triumphed through this season of injury with that placement, peaking there, medal or not.

frida80

Record Breaker
I didn't mean any ill by it. More so I was agreeing with ladyjane about his reaction of shrugging it off and that this result in the grand scheme of things is not important, considering he medalled in consecutive worlds and he got a great placement at the most important competition this season, the OG. Watch his K&C reaction in Pyeongchang, after he saw his scores and knew that he would place in the top 5. He was in happy tears. IMO he had triumphed through this season of injury with that placement, peaking there, medal or not.

Sorry. I'm still very sore after the FS. Watching a meltdown like that is always harsh. I think he underestimated how much time it would take him to get back into form. Plus the emotions of the Olympics normally throw people off their game. If he's happy with 4th at the Olympics, I guess that's ok. But he lost a chance at the GPF and now lost a world medal. This was just sad.