6.0 system still alive? | Golden Skate

6.0 system still alive?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My friend AC who competes in adult skating tells me that the 6.0 system is still used in adult skating classes under the "Silver" level. Has this always been true since 2002? I had no idea...... (Not proud or nothin' :yahoo:)
aaAA alexia chen calander her choce.jpg

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, the 6.0 system is still in use for Aussie Skate in Australia. It's absolutely horrible and judges hate it. Completely arbitrary and utterly useless for any kind of worthwhile feedback. A dead dinosaur relic of a more corrupt time that needs to die a final death already.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
British Adult Nationals uses IJS. This may have more to do with there not being any separate Adult/recreational test stream for BIS (formerly NISA), so they go with the standard system by default.
I'm not sure about smaller club-level adult competitions - I did go to one where they just awarded placements (so, de facto 6.0?)
Definitely prefer IJS myself, because personally as an adult I don't really care about placement and see competition more as a learning experience.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes it’s quite annoying because adult competitions tend to be very small. I’d much rather get a score I can compare with previous scores and see which elements were good/bad. 6.0 seems rather meaningless to me. Luckily I am testing into silver this year.
I am with you....I see how hard my friend works (on instagram) and her improvement and if I was into this sport, I would want an elemental score.
(Though I did get a 6.0 from my wife with my honey mustard chicken and potatos recipe tonight...that may have been just because she didnt have to cook..... :( )

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
At the international adult competitions (of which we haven't had any since a certain pandemic threw a spanner in the works), at least the ones in Oberstdorf, IJS is used. I recall Gary Beacom getting a pretty high score at one of those. I believe it was used at all levels of competition, at least in singles.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
In some instances, 6.0 is better.
If everybody has low jump BV (with single jumps), it can differentiate more between 1S and 1T and 1Lz.
Same when all have similarly low PCS (1 vs 1.25 in a category) - neither good compared to top guys, but both with big difference.

I suspect that's why 6.0 is still used in some circumstances, as it makes judging easier when you're ranking the field rather than trying to come up with objective values from lower level skating.

That been said- I understand frustration that you can't see improvements between competitions (between TES). Although, PCS is so subjective (especially at lower values), that it's really hard to quantify and compare between competitions reguardless. Below PCS of 2, it's not really objective at all, and can only represent differences between competitors.

The ISU guidelines make it easier to get general PCS "correct", but struggles to distinguish between similar abilities of skating.

cl2

Final Flight
US Figure Skating rulebook lists the levels at which nonqualifying competitions may choose to use 6.0. This includes Basic Skills competitions. It's impossible to judge bunny hops with IJS...

The feedback from 6.0 events may be less beneficial the skater, but from the perspective of the LOC, it is also much fewer judges to invite and less equipment to acquire. That's why entry fees for 6.0 events are much cheaper than for IJS events. In any case, if you want more detailed feedback to improve your skating, you could ask the judges directly, after the event. Most will be more than happy to help you. And getting feedback also applies to IJS: e.g., did you get that +1 GOE because of good take-off/landing, or because of difficult entry? That is what critiques are for.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Even US Theater on Ice used it until, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), after the most recent Nations Cup in 2019. It was changed in the US because the Europeans used a point based system and many US teams were at a disadvantage at internationals because they created programs for 6.0. This was for all levels, Juniors and Seniors included.