A changing of the guard in the men’s discipline? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

A changing of the guard in the men’s discipline?

jennylovskt

Medalist
The funny thing is that I have found that some mistakes actually made a lot more by the English speakers than by non-English speakers. For example, you're and your, their and there.:)

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
The funny thing is that I have found that some mistakes actually made a lot more by the English speakers than by non-English speakers. For example, you're and your, their and there.:)

Oh, most definitely. I wonder if this isn't characteristic of anyone learning any language as a second language, though? Because I think you learn to pay extra attention to proper usage when you are working with a new language, and not the mother tongue you grew up with, using it freely with slang and colloquialisms and the like.

Also, at least with most US schools, I don't think there's been a strong emphasis on grammar in years. I believe even at the high school level very rarely does anyone learn about things like "mood" in re: to tense. Unless you've studied another language, like Latin, in which mood often affects tense, you'd never know "mood" is a grammatical term as well as an emotional one!

I actually feel lucky I had to "parse" or "diagram" sentences when I was in 5th and 6th grades. Do students still diagram sentences? I hope so!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I haven't diagrammed a sentence since maybe 2nd or 3rd grade (I was in a gifted program, until I demanded I be put back in a regular class because I hated being singled out... maybe I wasn't all that bright to begin with, but I didn't want to be in classes where the kids were two and three years older, they were very cruel to the younger students)

I don't even remember HOW to diagram a sentence :laugh:

American children are also taught how to spell by the way it sounds, and so the written English just keeps going downhill.. now we're on the net and texting all the time and words are even more garbled than ever. It drives me nuts!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Taking into account the results from CoR, I think it's safe to say that there's no changing of the guard - just some new people in the mix. The next two seasons should be very exciting! FWIW, all the medalists at CoR landed quads.

(I'll stay out of the grammar discussion, if you guys don't mind ;))

Taking into account the results from CoR, I think it's safe to say that there's no changing of the guard - just some new people in the mix. The next two seasons should be very exciting! FWIW, all the medalists at CoR landed quads.

Me too! I tend to write phonetically which is a no no in English.

I think a changing of the guard will come about with the 2010 Olympics. Who will try for 2014 in Socchi(?) and who will SOI and other shows, and who will just disappear? I'll start a Prediction Thread on the Edge.

bekalc

Record Breaker

I think there's a changing of the guard (with Joubert staying on) I think with Lambiel/Buttle retiring and Daisuke out, the judges were going to be more willing to look at the new kids on the block and that's what happened.

lcd

Match Penalty
The cycles have a way of needing to catch up... for a spell, there was an abundance of professional opportunity. Then, the spotlight and $ sure seemed to only remain with eligible competitions. With so many very strong and charismatic men leaving the eligible ranks, I hope we'll see a return of opportunities for professionals who have truly global followings, whether they be through competitions or really, just performance opportunities. I for one, will not be satisfied with only "SOI" for Buttle and if Lambiel is sequestered over in Europe the whole season, will be such a shame

seniorita

Record Breaker
Ah it is my first guard changing since i started watching fs,maybe including Abt and Yag! I cannot still survive plushy, stephan and buttle retiring, especially first two:no:, i dont want to think ab weir and takahashi retiring , and i hope by some magical way I wake up one day and they all get back for next season:p
I saw Cup of Russia and I liked adam a lot..and Van der Perren who is not that new but now my most favs are gone I started taking notice:yes:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't even remember HOW to diagram a sentence :laugh:

Just for you Toni. The sentence is...The teacher demonstrated patiently.

diagram4.jpg

Neat Stuff!!!!!

Dee

^ Hey Dee, help me out on this one (from "The Night Before Christmas."

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.

Here is how far I got:

coursers | flew

:laugh: