Abbott in for another season? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Abbott in for another season?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There is still a chance; skaters often do not want to do WTT.

Yes, but if I read that right, Jeremy can't go because of his current ranking/standing. That's disappointing. I'm sure the Japanese fans would have given him a great send-off.

Would Max qualify even? He and Richard had the same finishes, but Richard was officially ranked ahead of him.

According to the WTT announcement, participants are basically anyone who contributed to the WTT qualification score. You do that basically by:

1.) Being the top two ranked skaters at Worlds
2.) Having the top placements at either GPF/GP events.

World standing does not factor into the qualification.

We could have a scenario where up to four skaters contribute to qualification. Jason and Max and/or Richard from their GP results and Josh and Adam if they have the two two results at World. So the WTT team can be any two of those four skaters. There is no scenario where Jeremy would be able to qualify.

So the WTT team could be
Max + Josh/Adam (if either is a top 2 world finisher)
Max + Jason (top 2 GP finshers; Jason may contribute on the World total)
Richard+ Jason (top 2 GP finishers)
Richard + Josh/Adam (if either is a top 2 world finisher)
Josh+ Jason (if Josh is a top 2 world finisher/top GP finisher for Jason)
Josh + Adam (if they are both top 2 world finishers)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
But if Jason finishes top two of the US men at Worlds (likely) then wouldn't that remove him from the GP list?

I didn't realise that Ricky was officially ahead of Max. Why?

I don't know. I mean Jason does not stop being the top finisher if he does well at worlds. Or does it say that?

The reason Richard is ahead of Max is that he won the first points based tie breaker. I think it was total points for the series, but it was very close.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
IMO, the WTT announcement is saying something different.

Countries qualify for WTT based on points earned by the top two skaters in GPs and top two at Worlds.
BUT ... I don't think those skaters are the only ones eligible to compete at WTT.

The doc does say:
Furthermore, in case that one or more of the best ranked Skaters/Couples (in the ISU World Standings valid after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015) of a Qualified ISU Member elects not to participate, the ISU reserves the right to exclude such team from the competition and to invite instead the Member/s whose team is ranked next in the ISU World Team Trophy qualification list.
But we know that a number of top-ranked skaters did not compete at WTT 2013, with no negative repercussions for their countries or themselves.

The only other restriction I see is that top-ranked skaters who don't compete at WTT are forbidden from participating in other competitions, shows, and exhibitions during the same time period.
3.2 Consequences of non-participation
...Any Skater/Couple from a Qualified ISU Member, who placed within the first ten (10) places at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015 and is ranked in the ISU World Standings among the best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple of his/her/their respective Qualified ISU Member, if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (March 30, 2015) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 20, 2015.

So ... my guess is that in practice, if some of the top Team USA skaters (who earned the points that qualified the USA for WTT) choose not to participate, Team USA would be allowed to send others instead (as long as the Team USA skaters who do not compete do not appear elsewhere at a competition/show/exhibition).

Hm... good points. That's what allowed Meryl and Charlie to not compete at 2013 WTT (Chock/Bates went instead).

I do think Max will likely be sent to WTT. Second person is a ?

I could see Jason wanting to go -- he seems to like competing and he hasn't been in Japan for some time (JGP 2010 was the last time). But who knows maybe Kori wants him to prepare for next season.

So Jeremy could have a shot at going. a Max and Jeremy WTT team seems completely possible.

FWIW past WTT teams:

2013: Max and Jeremy (Max went to Worlds)
2012: Jeremy and Adam (both went to Worlds that year)
2009: Evan and Jeremy (both went to Worlds)

So it would be sad for Jeremy not to go since he's gone every other year...

I don't know. I mean Jason does not stop being the top finisher if he does well at worlds. Or does it say that?

The reason Richard is ahead of Max is that he won the first points based tie breaker. I think it was total points for the series, but it was very close.

The WTT says "two two result" and that "up to four skaters" could contribute to the qualification total. So in theory Jason's GP result AND his finish at worlds (if he provides the two two results for the US) could contribute to the qualification total.

It doesnt' say anything about tie breakers -- so it's interchangeable -- either Richard's or Max's bronze result could contribute to the total.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
If either Jason or Joshua do well at Worlds I could see a SOI invite coming for at least a few remaining shows. Money is money. So based on the info shared by Mrs. P., they would also do WTT. Hey, they're young and like I said...money is money. Really these skaters need to get themselves exposed so that sponsors can pick them up if they like what they see.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Hm... good points. That's what allowed Meryl and Charlie to not compete at 2013 WTT (Chock/Bates went instead).

I do think Max will likely be sent to WTT. Second person is a ?

I could see Jason wanting to go -- he seems to like competing and he hasn't been in Japan for some time (JGP 2010 was the last time). But who knows maybe Kori wants him to prepare for next season.

I think Jason likely will go and want to go. Around the Olympics he was asked what country he most wanted to visit and he said Japan. Likewise, team Koro is smart enough to know how popular figure skating is in Japan and that opportunities for Jason to be seen in person by Japan are ones that should be taken!

So I would think he will be there. I would think he would have to do really badly at worlds to not be given the option. He is the US champion, was highest in the GP, was higher than Adam at 4CCs even with his SP experiment. Unless USFSA wanted to keep him here doing other stuff, I would think he would be sent.

The WTT says "two two result" and that "up to four skaters" could contribute to the qualification total. So in theory Jason's GP result AND his finish at worlds (if he provides the two two results for the US) could contribute to the qualification total.

It doesnt' say anything about tie breakers -- so it's interchangeable -- either Richard's or Max's bronze result could contribute to the total.

Good to know. Glad Max could go. I think a lot depends on how Josh and Adam do at worlds. If one has a breakout performance and medals, my guess is they and Jason will be going to WTT. If Josh and Adam are both disappointing, I could easily see Max getting the spot with Jason.

I think it being in Japan, both Josh and Adam are also likely to know the opportunity it is, and take it and go if/when offered.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If either Jason or Joshua do well at Worlds I could see a SOI invite coming for at least a few remaining shows. Money is money. So based on the info shared by Mrs. P., they would also do WTT. Hey, they're young and like I said...money is money. Really these skaters need to get themselves exposed so that sponsors can pick them up if they like what they see.

There are just three dates post-Worlds:
April 4 Anaheim
April 5 San Jose
April 10 Seattle.

An invite post-Worlds would be too short of a notice. Both have toured with SOI already, so they probably would get invites in the next few weeks. And I don't see either of them getting an invite to Canadian SOI (they would have gotten it already, like Ashley).

And yes, as mentioned, WTT is a ton of cash....The 6th place team (i.e. last) gets $130,000. That's $16,250 per skater (4 singles; 1 pair; 1 dance). That's not chump change.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
WTT is MONEY in the pocket. Most of the men need the cash.

True, but OTOH, if some combination of Jason, Adam, and/or Josh are the two U.S. men for WTT, their competitive season will be prolonged thru late April, with no break. Their work on next season's programs presumably would not get serious until after WTT -- a possible downside for the long term.

And if Jason, Adam, and/or Josh go, it would be the third trip to Asia for them in three months.
Everyone loves Japan, of course, but the cumulative physical and mental exhaustion of "shuttling" back and forth for a third time could be another downside.

Max and Jeremy have had a chance to catch their breath -- and if TSL is to be believed, Max already has chosen his new FS music, and perhaps his new choreo is underway.

Maybe it's only my wishful thinking that Max and Jeremy cannot be ruled out just yet.
I assume Jason/Adam/Josh will have first right of refusal ... so depends on how they are feeling after Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
History shows that at least one World Team member will opt to go to Japan, if not both. It also shows that the U.S. Champion, in general has gone (Evan in 2009, Jeremy in 2012 and Max in 2013). Of course all those patterns could be broken.

I wonder if Jeremy has gotten notice that he won't be getting an invite. I don't see him tweeting something about not going if he thought it was a possibility that he would be going.

My educated guess that WTT will likely be Jason and Max. But who knows!

The deadline for entries is April 3.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
I wonder if Jeremy has gotten notice that he won't be getting an invite. I don't see him tweeting something about not going if he thought it was a possibility that he would be going.

Jeremy's Japanese fans were really hoping ...I think he got the word he wasn't to be going, and wanted to let them know.

Jeremy has also not been picked up for SOi-so he really got the shaft. It's disgusting that Ryan Bradley is on US SOI and Jeremy is not. Ryan was never top 10 at Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jeremy's Japanese fans were really hoping ...I think he got the word he wasn't to be going, and wanted to let them know.

Jeremy has also not been picked up for SOi-so he really got the shaft. It's disgusting that Ryan Bradley is on US SOI and Jeremy is not. Ryan was never top 10 at Worlds.

Yikes, no need to be mean-spirited re Ryan Bradley. :no:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding WTT:

Yeah, it's tough for skaters to interrupt their development of next year's programs. And it's tough to travel again to Asia. And it's tough to add another competition to a loaded calendar.

But even Olympians have to pay the electricity bill.

And, it seems that most of them genuinely enjoy the competition. It looks as though they view it as a low-pressure fun event with their friends. And, for sure, there is probably long-term benefit in endearing oneself to a Japanese fanbase.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Regarding WTT:

Yeah, it's tough for skaters to interrupt their development of next year's programs. And it's tough to travel again to Asia. And it's tough to add another competition to a loaded calendar.

But even Olympians have to pay the electricity bill.

And, it seems that most of them genuinely enjoy the competition. It looks as though they view it as a low-pressure fun event with their friends. And, for sure, there is probably long-term benefit in endearing oneself to a Japanese fanbase.

Also, WTT scores do count toward ISU personal/season bests.

Just FYI. We do have a WTT thread here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?52385-ISU-World-Team-Trophy-2015

We probably should continue the discussion there and leave this thread for folks who want to know about Jeremy's future.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just read Jeremy's tweets, and they do seem like a farewell. And with shout-outs to some of the best: John Curry, Robin Cousins and Janet Lynn (I do have to say, no Toller. [sigh].)

Also I had not seen photos of Jeremy in the hipster glasses before. Nice!

ozmodiar

On the Ice

The US SOI cast was set well before Nationals and everyone in it is not competing this year. I'm sure if Jeremy decides not to compete next season then he will be in SOI.

noskates

Record Breaker
Yikes, no need to be mean-spirited re Ryan Bradley. :no:

Yes, seriously. Ryan is an incredible show skater and has been with SOI for several years. And quite frankly, some of the better show skaters weren't always the better competitors. I don't believe SOI cast members are chosen on their placements so much as their popularity. And Ryan is pretty popular - always was, even when he wasn't in the top 10.

salchowx4

On the Ice
Ryan is a good man who has the skating tricks that many people like to see. Skate skills and competitive record? OK, he's weak compared to your typical SOI cast member in those areas, but his ability to perform and please makes him worthy of being a part of it. He's a popular skater and heaven knows SOI needs popular skaters.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it's pretty obvious that SOI stuffed up big this year anyway; after the great tour last year, they held this tour over the competitive season, meaning that Jeremy could not have skated anyway until after Nationals when his season was over.

Victura

On the Ice
^Last year was an anomaly to capitalize on the Olympic season. Stars on Ice was conceived and continues to be a tour for professional skaters, not amateur skaters. It's only recently that they've allowed more amateur competitors to take guest spots.

I agree that Ryan Bradley is an asset to the tour. I wish there were more chances these days for pro skaters to flex their muscles and develop artistically.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^Last year was an anomaly to capitalize on the Olympic season. Stars on Ice was conceived and continues to be a tour for professional skaters, not amateur skaters. It's only recently that they've allowed more amateur competitors to take guest spots.

I agree that Ryan Bradley is an asset to the tour. I wish there were more chances these days for pro skaters to flex their muscles and develop artistically.

And the issue I take with that is: most of these "pros" have been retired for years and generally forgotten by the non-skating public. Whether people like it or not, Gracie and Jason sold tickets for last year's tour. A LOT of tickets. To the point that people were complaining when they got a "Max stop" and not a "Jason stop" (to my annoyance). Meryl and Charlie sold tickets. A LOT of tickets. And even the prospect of seeing Jeremy sold tickets.

Only die-hard skating fans know who the people in this year's SOI (other than Meryl and Charlie and Patrick) are.

That's not to say the pros shouldn't be able to skate, but the tour needs to be better constructed - maybe in two parts, with a pro tour over the competitive season, and a tour with the current skaters mixed in after the season's over.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
History shows that at least one World Team member will opt to go to Japan, if not both. It also shows that the U.S. Champion, in general has gone (Evan in 2009, Jeremy in 2012 and Max in 2013). Of course all those patterns could be broken.

Evan was not the US champion in 2009, instead he was the 2009 Word champion :cheer:.