Adam Rippon to produce a comedy series on figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon to produce a comedy series on figure skating

JSM

On the Ice
Yeah, that was a terrible show. Kristi was tyhe host and the three judges were Rudy Galino, Pasha Grishuk and Elvis Stojko. Rudy and Pasha made fun of the skaters, and Kristi kind of joined in. Elvis was the only one who seemed supposrtive of the contestants' efforts.

However, in common with all these "reality" shows, I think it was pre-scripted. The skaters eliminated in the first two episodes were supposedly a boy-friend and girl-friend from a local rink, who seemed to go along with the gags in good cheer.

As for the adult skating world, I don't see why that couldn't be a fun setting for a comedy. The adult skating community seems to me to be close-knit and always ready for a good time. (I once saw a skater do a triple Axel at the U.S. adult skating championships.)
It was probably a double axel, though there have definitely been other triples successfully performed at Adult Champs.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I doubt that Adam will mock adult skaters who are merely trying to do their best, unless they are in on the joke. This will not be, in my opinion, oh my god, can you believe that person thinks that's a spiral? Unless the skater him or herself says, I can't believe I botched that spiral:drama:. If it is just general mockery, who cares, mocking random skaters is what people on the Internet do, and that's in many cases just boring:bed:

In the USA, I don't think that a show about teen, up and coming, skaters would have any general appeal. No one in the US cares enough to watch, oh look, preteen Janey can land five quads. If they cared, they'd be watching competitive skating. :)

If it is done with a light touch, and with the skaters "in"on it, it could be entertaining.
I agree. Such a show wouldn't 'mock' adult skating but would rather make fun of life in general of which the skating is just a part. It could have been a comedy of anything, except this time we see skating too. Which I would like. That's what I meant when saying I don't see Adam making fun of adult skating as such, though making fun of some of the drama around it could work out just fine. I am experiencing a lot of drama at my skating club at the moment (which has nothing to do with the skating involved) which some of us skaters are calling a 'soap'. So, why not a comedy?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well yes, but for a good explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_figure_skating.

There's a yearly big international event in Oberstdorf (not this year) and also in Canada (also not this year I expect) with competitions in all age groups, and in all disciplines. I've seen Madori Ito skate at such an event (she can still jump a double axel by the way) and Gary Beacom too. The level is actually quite high (not to be compared with the juniors and seniors at ISU competitions or Nationals of course, but it's not intended to be) and quite worthwhile to watch. It gives an opportunity to people who wish to compete but who aren't professionals.

There are of course many adult skaters (like myself) who just skate recreationally and enjoy learning threes, single jumps, simple spins and so on.

I'm just happy it's even possible at my rink that a middle aged woman can learn some figure skating.

It was probably a double axel, though there have definitely been other triples successfully performed at Adult Champs.
Yeah, it probably was. :laugh:

I once attended a local club benefit show featuring skaters at all levels from toddlers (some carried onto the ice by their coaches) to adult recreational skaters. I wrote up a glowing report of the event and posted it here on Golden Skate, commenting on the several skaters who did double Axels. :bow:

Someone wrote after me, uh, Mathman, those were singles. There was only one double Axel in the whole show (by headliner Yuka Sato).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
just to get our blades straight and on the same ice, is this 'adult figure skating'?
the content of these channels?

Madmann99
Edgy Skating Mum
thedavish0m3t3am
MaryatFitandFed
Kathy Eppick

and probably some more like this?

When I searched on YouTube for Adult Figure Skating Championships, these were the first four links I found:

US Adult Figure Skating Championship Highlights

I think to get our blades straight and on the same ice they may be looking at the "competitive" adult skaters such as these, but I have no idea of course. :)

One of the really cool stories from adult skating is that Jordan Moeller, a US man on the ISP for the past several years, competed as an ice dancer. (not relevant, but his partner Ashleyann Carlson sadly passed away a few years ago) Jordan already has lovely skating skills, but he was looking to hone them. I tried looking for a video but could find none.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Might be funny, just as long as it doesn't resemble "Spinning Out". That series was horrible

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
just to get our blades straight and on the same ice, is this 'adult figure skating'?
the content of these channels?

Madmann99
Edgy Skating Mum
thedavish0m3t3am
MaryatFitandFed
Kathy Eppick

and probably some more like this?
Yes, these are Adult skaters. And I know exactly why you chose some of those channels. It's exactly what I fear for this show.

Not every skater had the chance to start young, like Adam did, and to have access to the resources, time and money to make it to the top level, like Adam did, or to be athletically gifted and athletically framed like Adam did. But Adult skaters who start as Adults and maybe never even get single Axels are still figure skaters and they still compete. They're not to be mocked at just because they happen not to be international superstars.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually, Adam didn't start skating until he was around 10 years old, and is one of 6 kids in his family to a single mom who worked very hard for all of them to have a decent life, and Adam is very humble because of his upbringing.

I really don't think he has this vendetta against Adult skaters as some are trying to make it out to be and his show may end up actually surprising you in a good way.

All this speculation is just that.